Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Answering maths through Irish?

Options
  • 08-06-2005 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

Ive heard rumour that if you answer your maths through Irish you get 10% extra of your grade added?
    How trus is this?
    Whats the procedure? Just tick the "Gaeilge" box at the front and answer like "Freagra =" and "Achar=" ??

Any info much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

JohnCleary wrote:
    Ive heard rumour that if you answer your maths through Irish you get 10% extra of your grade added?
    How trus is this?
    Whats the procedure? Just tick the "Gaeilge" box at the front and answer like "Freagra =" and "Achar=" ??

Any info much appreciated

You have to answer all or one of them in Irish i am afraid and it is not 10% it is like you get 10% of what you get wrong right if you get me
    like say you get 90% the you get 91%

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Check this out .

The mark you're awarded depends on the subject, and on the percentage you didn't get.

This answering through Irish thing is very misuderstood. A good student will receive pretty much the same mark regardless of whether they answer in Irish or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

and u have to pre-register it too!! like months ahead and supposedly u then have to sit all in irish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Doing them all through Irish is quite good if there are any subjects that you're worried about failing. But that's it really. And it's not great for subjects like Maths and Accounting. It's only 5% of what you don't get. With something like Geography you can pass if you get 34%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Groovychick

In maths and french you only get 5% of what you get up to 70% and after that you get 5% of what is left. You get 10% in accounting, but you have to write all your terms out in irish or most of them anyways! can't wait for accounting, banking on an A1 in that and an A in Irish too hopefully!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

you have to read the questions in irish too. for some questions in maths that could be difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

oh for godsake, in everything except for languages and maths its 10% of what you dont get up to around 70%, after that its on a sliding scale, and pretty worthless
    in languages its the same thing but only 5% of what you dont get. which is stupid cos the aural is the hardest part to do in irish.
    anyway, dont waste the correctors time with "ticking the gaeilge box". they're wise to it and you need a minimum amount of irish words on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

OK I am very confused... I thought this would be a simple answer...

Since I am quite good at Irish and I know im going to do brutal at Maths (O) tomorrow (Bad as in... scraping a pass!), would it be worth my while doing it as Gaeilge?

-EDIT- That website actually summed things up pretty well, thanks poster :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Youre simply not able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

hope you didnt do it, cos they know by your exam centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I did... we'll see what happens :)

Just wrote "Freagra" though... id say 99.9% no difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

JohnCleary wrote:
    I did... we'll see what happens :)

Just wrote "Freagra" though... id say 99.9% no difference!

Nothing will happen cause you're not going to do all your other exams in Irish and you haven't told them you're going to do that so they'll just ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

You don't have to do all your exams in Irish. You do however have to be registered to do certain exams in irish. My sister sat her Maths paper 1 in Irish today and will be sitting paper 2 in Irish as well. She won't be sitting any other exam this way. Also when you sit a paper in Irish you also recieve the english copy of the paper as well.

Advertisement