Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bus lanes...

Options
  • 09-06-2005 5:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

I love when your allowed to drive in Bus lanes in the allowed time, and other are sitting in normal driving lanes. Some people think your not allowed in bus lanes at all, anytime. Ha ha ha

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They are called sheep:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

ya but don't you risk getting done for passing on the left?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Ernie Ball wrote:

Nope, if the right lane is moving slower than the left lane its all good!
    plus if they dont realise the bus lane is in operation for cars, they should get done!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I love when your allowed to drive in Bus lanes in the allowed time, and other are sitting in normal driving lanes. Some people think your not allowed in bus lanes at all, anytime. Ha ha ha
    Shush!!

You don't want everyone to know do you?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Ernie Ball wrote:

lane driving... read about it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh I love it too.....every morning on my way to work I get to use the bus lane from Lucan village to the N4 dual carraigeway (it's hours are 7:00a.m. to 9:30a.m.) I can literally hear all the people tutting as I pass them on the inside but it's SO satisfying!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

fletch wrote:
    Yeh I love it too.....every morning on my way to work I get to use the bus lane from Lucan village to the N4 dual carraigeway (it's hours are 7:00a.m. to 9:30a.m.) I can literally hear all the people tutting as I pass them on the inside but it's SO satisfying!
    There's another tiny section of bus lane coming down from the Liffey Valley roundabout, going under the N4 that's not in operation yet. People still haven't copped this after like a year, it's great.

(Not that I wouldn't be in the bus lane anyway :p)

seamus wrote:
    There's another tiny section of bus lane coming down from the Liffey Valley roundabout, going under the N4 that's not in operation yet. People still haven't copped this after like a year, it's great
    Yeh saw it before....another place you can use em is out in Ongar (not that there is much traffic out that way) but there are no time restriction signs for the bus lanes out there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

fletch wrote:
    Yeh saw it before....another place you can use em is out in Ongar (not that there is much traffic out that way) but there are no time restriction signs for the bus lanes out there
    Then surely that would mean that it's a bus lane at ALL times ...?

Bard wrote:
    lol never thought of that.....but I very much doubt it's a 24 hour bus lane on what are relatively traffic free roads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Ernie Ball wrote:

a mate of mine got done for this at Stillorgan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Bard wrote:

I don't think so, there's no sign at all to say it's a bus lane apart from the road markings so I don't think it's in-force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 toad

RuggieBear wrote:
    a mate of mine got done for this at Stillorgan.

Thats not possible. If the bus lane is going faster than the regular lane as long as you are within the speed limit there is no problem. I think this is of the "tricky" questions in the driving test.

toad wrote:
    Thats not possible. If the bus lane is going faster than the regular lane as long as you are within the speed limit there is no problem. I think this is of the "tricky" questions in the driving test.

It happened. My brother was in the car with him. tis waht the garda claimed.

...suppose it didn't help that he's rich kid in an Audi TT.

RuggieBear wrote:
    It happened. My brother was in the car with him. tis waht the garda claimed.

...suppose it didn't help that he's rich kid in an Audi TT.
    Wouldn't matter a damn what car he was driving - if he was in the bus lane outside of the bus lane hours and he was driving within the speed limit then he should have been fine.

=> I presume he was speeding.

well...he swears to me that he wasn't and my brother backs him up...

RuggieBear wrote:
    well...he swears to me that he wasn't and my brother backs him up...
    Oh well in that case he's definitely telling the truth ...

What exactly is he in trouble for? Speeding? Overtaking on the left? Improper use of the bus lane? Not wearing a seat belt? Theft of a motor vehicle?

:p

Bard wrote:
    Oh well in that case he's definitely telling the truth ...

What exactly is he in trouble for? Speeding? Overtaking on the left? Improper use of the bus lane? Not wearing a seat belt? Theft of a motor vehicle?

:p

lol...

well tbh i wasn't there so....i can't tell you exactly what happened but from what i gather the traffic had built up at the lights and were just getting moving on the green light and my mate was able to zip by them all as there was nobody in the bus lane and thus didn't have to slow down at traffic build up. There was a squad car in one oif the other lanes who were stuck in the traffic. He got done for overtaking on the left....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Was the bus lane marked for left turn only some of them are

shltter wrote:
    Was the bus lane marked for left turn only some of them are
    i don't think so but to be honest i don't know.....it's that junction just past fox rock church withy a left turn towards leapordstown races and a right turn onto newton park ave.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm guessing its a 24 hr bus lane aka ex-hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

RuggieBear wrote:
    lol...

well tbh i wasn't there so....i can't tell you exactly what happened but from what i gather the traffic had built up at the lights and were just getting moving on the green light and my mate was able to zip by them all as there was nobody in the bus lane and thus didn't have to slow down at traffic build up. There was a squad car in one oif the other lanes who were stuck in the traffic. He got done for overtaking on the left....

Thats what they told you!
    Sounds to me like there was a car (not in the bus lane) doing about 20 mph and your bro and his mate were behing in the TT and said sod this! Zipped into the bus lane and passed the car on the inside and then zipped back out of the bus lane in front of the slower car! (i.e.: overtaking on the left or undertaking :D )
    As there was probably no real queue of traffic the Cops thought it as being slightly dangerous and stung him for "passing on the left" to teach him a lesson as opposite to doing him for "dangerous driving"

Only a suggestion as to why he might have been done! Or else the Cops were bored and said HMMMM....rich kid in the Audi TT....lets do him for the laugh!

just talking to my brother and he said the garda pulled them over for passing on the left. The Garda asked him when were you allowed pass on the left and my mate replied when the traffic in the right hand lanes was slower. The garda then told them it was dangerous driving and if a car had pulled out from the righthand lanes into the bus lane and crashed into my mate it would have been my mates fault.

TBH i don't drive and i don't know the rules of the road so i can only repeat verbatim what they've told me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Sounds like the Garda was annoyed that your bro was using the Bus Lane, and he was stuck in traffic.

Is that BusLane under the N4 still "Not in operation" or has that changed. It's a sweet shortcut alright, and just when I get to the lights when I'm in the BusLane the lights change to Green. Sweet. Have yet to see any buses go down it yet.

Also, there's a nice stretch road between Liffey Valley and Clondalkin, don't know the name of it(near Ronanstown, I think), and for a long time it wasn't in operation, until just recently. Have yet to see buses on it too.

Sounds to me like he was doing 40 and flew by the stopped traffic, if he had shown some care he would have been left alone..

css wrote:
    Sounds to me like he was doing 40 and flew by the stopped traffic, if he had shown some care he would have been left alone..

but that's not speeding.....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

seamus wrote:
    There's another tiny section of bus lane coming down from the Liffey Valley roundabout, going under the N4 that's not in operation yet. People still haven't copped this after like a year, it's great.

That one's good for passing about 20 cars on average :D

You can just hear people tut-tutting the w*nker in the BMW (unkel). I guess that's how those stereotypes start :(

unkel wrote:
    That one's good for passing about 20 cars on average :D

You can just hear people tut-tutting the w*nker in the BMW (unkel). I guess that's how those stereotypes start :(
    w@nker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

RuggieBear wrote:
    just talking to my brother and he said the garda pulled them over for passing on the left. The Garda asked him when were you allowed pass on the left and my mate replied when the traffic in the right hand lanes was slower. The garda then told them it was dangerous driving and if a car had pulled out from the righthand lanes into the bus lane and crashed into my mate it would have been my mates fault.

Sounds like they were just p**sed off with him. The bus lane was not in effect, therefore it was a legitimate lane. I suppose he was expected to have stopped in the middle of the road before passing the cars or joined the queue. :rolleyes: If the other drivers had any sense they would have been using that lane and it wouldn't have been an issue.

By that rational you can never drive down a dedicated left-hand lane on any road if traffic has stopped. A prime example is coming out of town on the Stillorgan dual carriageway where due to cars turning right, traffic often backs up onto the overtaking lane coming to a stop. The middle lane can drive past easily, passing on the left.

• Advertisement

RuggieBear wrote:
    but that's not speeding.....

it's not driving with due care and attention either...

Advertisement