Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Search Tool

Options
  • 09-06-2005 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to know if there is a reliable site search tool that will trawl through the site and its links itself and return a list of all the pages matching the search terms.

Preferably this would be a simple matter of adding a page to the site and it would thereafter search through that site itself (although a small bit of setup wouldn't be too much of a burden). It would also be preferable not to have to add to the index manually (i.e. it would start at the top page and work its way down through the levels).

'tis a lot to ask to be sure, but in this day and age, it should have been done dozen's of times over...

Thanks anyway

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There should be plenty of site search engines on www.sourceforge.net in all kinds of forms and languages.

Most search engines will require some kind of indexing, unless you want it to open and search every single page on the site each time someone searches :)
    Of course, you can set up cron/scheduled jobs to do this - preferably late at night when you won't be doing any development work.

How unfeasible would it be to take advantage of the fact that Google has already indexed your site? You can use the "site:mysite.com" switch to get only results for your site, or you can code a page to take google's search results, parse them, and present them in a format that you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

i tried google and the fact that you cant control when google reindexes your site is the only thing that lets it down, the site is updated every week (at least once), and the search tool would need to be flexible enough to take account of that.

I'll try sourceforge though, cheers seamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Try atomz. (www.atomz.com) Free, custimizeable & flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you've got access to perl I'd recommend perlfect search:
    http://www.perlfect.com/freescripts/search/

If you don't you could use the adsense for search and increase your revenue at the same time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Digital Point have a good site search which makes use of the Google API for which you will need to generate a key. Works well and is easily customisable. Requires PHP however and the T&C's for Google say it can't be used commercially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Baz_ wrote:
    i tried google and the fact that you cant control when google reindexes your site is the only thing that lets it down, the site is updated every week (at least once), and the search tool would need to be flexible enough to take account of that.

Google hears it's people cry: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/06/webmaster-friendly.html

Once it's anyway popular, anyway, it'll be indexed quite often. I've noticed things from my blog turning up on Google a day or so after I post them, and no-one even READS my blog.

Advertisement