Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoneline that was failing for Months now suddenly passing for broadband!!!

Options
  • 09-06-2005 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I had almost given up hope of getting broadband from our exchange in Swords and now suddenly it is passing on our line. Has there been an upgrade on the network? Esat are touting there has been extensive work done in the last few weeks to enable lines that were failing in broadband enabled exchanges?

Could someone shed some light.....fingers crossed that it really is capable as for month Eircom has been telling me I cant get it even thought they took out our ISDN on the promise I would be able to get it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Lines change pass/fail states all the time, so order it quick ;)

There were rumours here some time ago that they'd relaxed the testing to enable previously failing lines now get BB. There certainly has been a lot of reports of such.

eircom have also announced an "orange light" programme where lines connected to an enabled exchange that are failing will be more thoroughly investigated, provided a committed order of BB is made. ESat have been touting something similar. They'll send an engineer out to see if it is a fixable problem. However no details are published, other than vague press releases. eircom's obligation remains unchanged (they are under no obligation to serve you any sort of broadband).

The moral is, to keep your internal wiring clean (and to a minimum until you get BB installed), and order ASAP, before the line changes back to fail.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gavinfa

After nine months of trying to get broadband...all it took was one email to eircom press office asking if David McRedmond was telling the truth and hey presto...I now have broadband after I was railroaded through by Des keating, the Eircom Broadband project manager no less! My advice is ignore the lemmings and go straight to the top!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

gavinfa wrote:
    After nine months of trying to get broadband...all it took was one email to eircom press office asking if David McRedmond was telling the truth and hey presto...I now have broadband after I was railroaded through by Des keating, the Eircom Broadband project manager no less! My advice is ignore the lemmings and go straight to the top!

Lucky man, we emailed mr McRedmond direct and cc'd all the regular players like ioffl and comreg. we got a responce initially asking for details however beyond this there has been no further communication (some week ago today).

Congrats on getting bb!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 realraven

gavinfa wrote:

5 years, and still trying. Could you post their email address :)

My ISDN got refused after I had payed Eircom the installation fee. Technician: "I could install it for you but I won't. You would not be happy with it." I still have the USB modem lying around does anybody need a paper weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Holy cow !, why are people still dealing with the most hated telecoms operator in Ireland ?... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Paddy20 wrote:
    Holy cow !, why are people still dealing with the most hated telecoms operator in Ireland ?... :confused:

because until my line passes for broadband or a wireless operator comes anywhere near me i HAVE to unless you know different :mad:

realraven wrote:
    Could you post their email address
    No, under the current charter, that is not allowed, unless it is published somewhere (I couldn't find it). Perhaps you could have it PMed to you?

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

'Tis on eircom's own site at the bottom of every press release

http://mmm.eircom.ie/press/PressRelease_Target.asp?id=400&y=2005

press_office@eircom.ie

because until my line passes for broadband or a wireless operator comes anywhere near me i HAVE to unless you know different :mad:

When your line is broadband enabled by the most hated Telecoms operator in Ireland. You will have a host of decent ISP's to choose from :cool:

P.
    makepovertyhistory.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Paddy20 wrote:
    When your line is broadband enabled by the most hated Telecoms operator in Ireland. You will have a host of decent ISP's to choose from :cool:

P.
    makepovertyhistory.ie/

which at the rate their fixing lines in donegal means never overground lines -rural edge of distance limit :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Paddy20 wrote:

P.
    makepovertyhistory.ie/

well youd think so paddy but unfortunately no thats not the case, well in my case anyways, im sitting here with a line enabled for BB and every single line checker from eircom to esat still says my lines still failing, and this is also after i had a 2 month trial with them as well

Hows that for competition

Shin

shinzon wrote:
    well youd think so paddy but unfortunately no thats not the case, well in my case anyways, im sitting here with a line enabled for BB and every single line checker from eircom to esat still says my lines still failing, and this is also after i had a 2 month trial with them as well

Hows that for competition

Shin

Christ, that is unbelieveable :eek: Maybe I was just lucky here in Ballybofey, Co' Donegal.

I did the Clicksilver U.TV Broadband online line test, and it stated that I could have UTV Broadband on my line. I was the first in Ballybofey to have broadband, while the damned politician's were going around stating we would be able to get it " Within twele months " I was already using it :confused: ?... seems to me the whole area needs a good kick up the Arse , before we have street riots over this increasingly frustrating fiasco.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I failed the line test last month despite having a perfect 1mb connection!

My line was tested again yesterday and I now pass "subject to confirmation"! They'll send an engineer out to investigate for free. Never saw that before.

Here's the message

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Sarsfield wrote:
    and I now pass "subject to confirmation"! They'll send an engineer out to investigate for free. Never saw that before.

I think that is the "amber" classification. They tell you that you've passed but an engineer has to play with your wires first.

Ah, so it does exist!!

Advertisement