Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howl's Moving Castle

• 09-06-2005 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know when it will be released in Ireland? Dying to see it! :D

BM.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

September 30th.

Still a fair bit away unfortunetly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Damn it! It was out on the 10th June in other parts of the world. :(

Aw well, something to look forward to I guess!

BM.

Been moved up to September 23rd now. Should be in UGC/Cineworld and perhaps the Screen and the IFC.

Not too long now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

aye they have it advertised in the new hmv dvd catalog thingy in the shops. also the cat returns and nausicaa valley of the wind are released on dvd then./

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

And it also looks like Optimum have snapped up the entire Ghibli back catalog. Also including Laputa,Kikis and several others that have already been released.

They have trailers on the UK discs for many of the others like Only Yesterday, Whixper of the Heart, Totoro, etc.

Optimum also have a bit more sense with the multi-audio tracks i.e. Buena vista released only dubtitled Laputa, which makes the j-audio version hard to watch (you get to see how much they messed witht he script).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Those posters on wooden blocks in the UGC (in the door and right) now have Howl's Moving Castle on them, 23rd it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

sharingan wrote:
    And it also looks like Optimum have snapped up the entire Ghibli back catalog. Also including Laputa,Kikis and several others that have already been released.

They have trailers on the UK discs for many of the others like Only Yesterday, Whixper of the Heart, Totoro, etc.

Optimum also have a bit more sense with the multi-audio tracks i.e. Buena vista released only dubtitled Laputa, which makes the j-audio version hard to watch (you get to see how much they messed witht he script).

Jesus, that's excellent news! I was very happy with Optimum's Spirited Away & Grave Of The Fireflies DVDs and I'm extremely happy that they're releasing Nausicaa & The Cat Returns, but I'm also very happy to hear they're releasing the entire Ghibli works. I already own Princess Mononoke, Laputa/Castle In The Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service, but I think I'll be buying them again.

I agree though, the dubtitling on Laputa was painfull to watch, and James Van Der Beek even more painfull to listen to. Same with Mononoke and Kiki, but at least they didn't have such a painfull cast.

Just doing a search on play.com I see there are release dates for all the Ghibli films.
    Pre-order time! :D

This has really made my day!
    I think Optimum are an absolutely excellent company, I once had to return a defective DVD to them (one of a batch of defective DVDs) and they were simply great to deal with, excellent aftersales altogether. I honestly can't say enough good things about them.

Pity some of them aren't out untill well into next year. Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

bad news!!!!!!!!!!!!! yesterday i went to the IFI to enquire about booking tickets to see Howl's Moving Castle on Sept 23rd and it turns out that for some reason they won't be able to screen it at all. Boy i am really dissappointed about this but hopefully it will be screened in other places.....anyone know for sure????

ok it appears the movie will be on release here at UGC from 21/10
    http://www.ugc.ie/cinematheque/Prochainement.jgi?FILM=20884&FILMPART=4566

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

There's a good interview with Miyazaki over at The Guardian:

There is a rumour that when Harvey Weinstein was charged with handling the US release of Princess Mononoke, Miyazaki sent him a samurai sword in the post. Attached to the blade was a stark message: "No cuts."

The director chortles. "Actually, my producer did that. Although I did go to New York to meet this man, this Harvey Weinstein, and I was bombarded with this aggressive attack, all these demands for cuts." He smiles. "I defeated him."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Manchegan wrote:
    There's a good interview with Miyazaki over at The Guardian:

There is a rumour that when Harvey Weinstein was charged with handling the US release of Princess Mononoke, Miyazaki sent him a samurai sword in the post. Attached to the blade was a stark message: "No cuts."

The director chortles. "Actually, my producer did that. Although I did go to New York to meet this man, this Harvey Weinstein, and I was bombarded with this aggressive attack, all these demands for cuts." He smiles. "I defeated him."

Now that is awesome! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

Miramax caved to pressure and released the Pricess Mononoke DVD with a Japanese language track-and subtitles, for the bloody english track only!! It kind of irritates me watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 eziite

boogie man wrote:
    Does anyone know when it will be released in Ireland? Dying to see it! :D

BM.

I downloaded with BitTorrent. There are many torrent files in Internet. Just search them.

The movie is just cool, I watched it twice :p

bada_bing wrote:
    ok it appears the movie will be on release here at UGC from 21/10

Just saw that they pushed it back a month for whatever reason... ugh.

Thankfully it'll be playing at the IFC from Friday in subtitled form, times are on the site.

[EDIT] Just read the your post again fully bada_bing, hopefully they'll sorted out soon as they still list full showings of the movie. [/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

There's a Studio Ghibli article in the new issuse of Total Film.

Just checked the IFC listings, Howl's Moving Castle has been removed completely. Sucks donkey balls.

It's still being released throughout the UK this week, so those up you up North can still get to see it.

The only cinema that I can think of that would show it is the Screen, but that's looking unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Just checked the IFC listings, Howl's Moving Castle has been removed completely.
    This is from their newsletter:

CHANGE TO IFI PROGRAMME: Due to circumstances beyond our control, we will not be opening Hayao Miyazaki's HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE on September 23rd as advised in the IFI programme - the date for this film has been moved. In its place, we will open two films - on Sept. 23rd, for an exclusive one-week engagement at the IFI, we open Sally Potter's highly acclaimed YES, starring Joan Allen. On Sept. 30th, we open the new film from David Cronenberg, A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, starring Viggo Mortensen, Ed Harris, and William Hurt.

Still dosn't say why it was removed.

BM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 CyTai

eziite wrote:
    I downloaded with BitTorrent. There are many torrent files in Internet. Just search them.

How true. My sister downloaded in Chinese sub.

So I'm glad I got to see it. ^^

Originally Posted by eziite

Originally Posted by CyTai
    How true. My sister downloaded in Chinese sub.

So I'm glad I got to see it. ^^
    Don't think the suggestions of downloading licensed anime is appreciated here lads...

Since it's actually coming to Ireland, I'd prefer to hold out and watch it on a fat screen. To tell you the truth I hardly know anything about the film so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 CyTai

The story is really based on a novel which was very popular in Japan.

So the story is quite different to the other stories like Kiki's Delivery, Laputa, Spirit Away.

Anyway, the story is most able magic, black magic really. A girl called Sofia was cursed, becoming a old woman. Trying to find a spell to break the spell, she searched for Howl's Moving Castle. Hoping that the mage could break the spell for her.

However the story had some twist and turns before she was able to return to her old self again.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Beebox

The story is based on the novel by Dianna Wynne-Jones, who also wrote the Chrestomnci series.
    Here's a link to the story of the book http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/howl/story.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 elfpoo

Howl's Moving Castle will (presumably) be released in Region 1 before it is released here. Obviously this causes a Region problemfor people wanting to buy the American release. Here's how to oversome it:

Search Google (or whatever) for a program called VLC Player. It's a small program that will play pretty much anything you throw at it - and that includes DVDs coded for other regions. This will NOT change the region setting on your DVD-ROM or anything else. Myself and all my friends have this and there is quite literally no problem whatsoever with any aspect of it.

It's available for Windows and Mac OS X, along with lot sof other OS's. Get downloading! Even if you only have dial-up it shouldn't take all that long to download. It's only a few Mbs!

*barRy*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

UGC are not releasing this movie in Dublin. This is so disappointing! I was really looking forward to seeing this movie on the big screen. Anyone know if its being released anywhere else in Dublin?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'm sure I can arrange to have it screened in DCU's theatre building, T101, for the Anime & Manga Society.

I'll look into it.

UGC are not releasing this movie in Dublin.

They removed it about a week ago... ugh... wtf...

They must be having problems showing it here?

I sent the IFI a little message, see what the situation with them is.

how odd. Ugc as of yesterday still had and entire corner of downstairs for howls moving castle and a poster or two around the place. i will be well pissed off if i cant see this in the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

evad_lhorg wrote:
    how odd. Ugc as of yesterday still had and entire corner of downstairs for howls moving castle and a poster or two around the place. i will be well pissed off if i cant see this in the cinema

I rang UGC and was told they are not showing it in Dublin. Couldn't get an explanation out of them :(

evad_lhorg wrote:

Yeah, I saw that too.

Very odd.

EDIT: OK, now UGC have now added it to their listings page here and it's on track for this Friday. You can even book for it online. Hopefully this isn't getting my hopes up...

where is it on the line up and where does it say its friday? im seing 23/9/05

You have to move the day to Friday.

I've fixed the above link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The print showing in UGC is the dubbed version but the version in the screen cinma is apparently the subtitled version. I only got to see the dubbed version in the UGC. Must admit I was a bit disappointed...... (But, saying that, this is going to get me killed I'd say: Spirited away wasn't my fave... Not even Mononoke. Porco Rosso's my fave by a long shot, followed by Totoro). Thought it was just missing something. I thought the voice acting was only OK (Although the Witch Of The Waste and Howl himself were great). I must check out the subtitled version. Much prefer them anyway..... Oh, the dog thing and Pumpkinhead are great.... Checkout the pumpkinhead/totoro/catbus head :)

Advertisement