Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder over a MMORPG! weirdos

Options
  • 09-06-2005 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭

http://cube.ign.com/articles/623/623614p1.html

June 8, 2005 - In an extreme example of gamers taking a hobby (obsession?) too far, Shanghai gamer Qui Chengwei stabbed Zhu Caoyuan in the chest, killing the fellow gamer, according to the BBC News.

The motive for the murder? Zhu sold a virtual sword in the online game Legend of Mir 3 -- a sword Qui Chengwei had loaned him.

Qui had apparently tried to take the virtual property dispute to the police, but China lacks laws covering virtual property like an online sword. Zhu had offered to pay Qui the money he'd earned from the sword, but Qui refused.

Qui Chengwei now faces a suspended death sentence, meaning he could spend his life in jail, but that he may also be released on "good behavior" in 15 years.

Victim Zhu Caoyuan was 26 years old. His parents are currently seeking appeal for an immediate death sentence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Brings PK'ing to a whole other level. :eek:
    It just goes to show how badly people can be f*cked up in the head when they let a mmorpg take over their lives.
    Wouldn't you hate to be the daft sod that bought the sword?
    Hopefully it'll be a head-check for some of these poor misguided addicts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I wouldn't blame the mmorpg, any game can take over someones life if they let it.
    Some people are just troubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

flogen wrote:
    I wouldn't blame the mmorpg, any game can take over someones life if they let it.
    Some people are just troubled.
    Aye.
    I remember a dude was stabbed to death a few years ago over a CS game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Thats pretty ****ed up. I can understand a game pissing you off a lot, a great deal, but theres got to be something wrong with you in the first place if you can bring yourself to go out and stab someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

Aye.

i heard somebody died after playing cs for 90 hours or something like that :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Aye.

The bastard deserved it. (manical laugh)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

i heard alright that in south korea they take obsession wit mmo's to a new level!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Feck it, its no worse than road rage or some other petty argument escalating into murder. People argue - your man was as likely to stab someone for any argument as that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Feck it, its no worse than road rage or some other petty argument escalating into murder. People argue - your man was as likely to stab someone for any argument as that one.
    i agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Was this posted a while back or has this actually happened twice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

nah it was the actual crime that was posted this is the sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Ooo, should have trained parry mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

lol

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Why don't they just get a lvl 20+ Priest to rez the guy. like?

Maximilian wrote:
    Why don't they just get a lvl 20+ Priest to rez the guy. like?
    lol probably tried and all

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

probably outta mana at the time

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

grimloch wrote:
    Was this posted a while back or has this actually happened twice?

I'm pretty sure that this happened a few months ago. Some sites seems to be reporting it only now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I definately recall this being posted, fairly odd business.

I doubt this is the last time it'll happen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Darkside points gained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Qui Chengwei now faces a suspended death sentence, meaning he could spend his life in jail

wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

wtf?

He killed a guy - over an imaginary sword which if its not pretty embarrassing for him now, it will be in future when hes asked by the real hard core killers what hes in for - and the Chinese dont **** around.
    Hes lucky hes not just taken out to a field and shot in the head and the price of the bullet charged to his family. Actucally, seeing as the victims family are appealing that may still happen.

koneko wrote:
    Darkside points gained.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yeh, guys like that have to be messed up in the head before they play games, cant blame the game. His life must have been either really empty or f***ed up before he played the game (probably played it 24/7 aswell). Its crazy that someone can take a game that serious, hard to believe. Is this a common thing in some countries??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

in korea apparently people get paid for playin online rpgs. some having made millions off it. not sure how tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

evad_lhorg wrote:
    in korea apparently people get paid for playin online rpgs. some having made millions off it. not sure how tbh.

"testing" lol

evad_lhorg wrote:
    yeah i heard about that too they play the game build up the character then sell if off :D lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

so theyre like pimps? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

By lvling characters and selling them, or by selling the ingame currency (for real life money). It's a huge business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 demonphate

Koreans can play warcraft for 72 hours straight and get to 60 in less then a week, thats a feat not known to many, the'' Power level your chars for a hefty fee, wors out bout 150eur for 10 levels, thats 900 quids to buy a level 60 char, go do it yourself ya bums:p

Advertisement