Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths (O) Paper One

Options
  • 09-06-2005 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

Oh how bad can you fail an exam. I bet I've set a record. All I can do now is hope paper two is kinder to me and that I get an examiner with a compulsion to hand out marks for no reason.

What are the attempt marks for each question. Could you get a pass with just attempt marks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

i thoght it was an ok paper,

i believe all attempt marks add up to 30% so just hope you got 10% right!

anyone know how to do the ratio q in q1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Thanks. I should do better in P2. All I want is a pass, I don't need anything else. Anyone know how many people fail Ordinary maths each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

do do the ratio i believe your given

1/2 1/3 1/4

as 12th's

6/12 4/12 3/12

you can disregard the 12's as it's common denominator.

so 6:4:3 is the ratio and then you do it as normal

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Paper was an arse, espicaly Q2 part C. I mean WTF? We aint fecking honour students!

I got a lot of the questions done, dragged it out as much as I could and did a LOT of attempting of the parts I had no idea of etc. so I think i passed the paper. As they say, hard paper = nice marking scheme. Now, lets get prepared for Paper 2!!!!

General word on the street: Hard paper, completley fraised different and was generaly tough. Aint heard no1 say it was "Easy" yet, not even those who dropped from honours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

*smacks head*
    Dammit, I got that Q wrong.

And what the hell was going on with Q1 Pt (C).
    The population, represented by P, grows by 10% in 2000. Find the amount it's grown by....
    But...but....there is no population...
    I just wrote P x .10 = P.10
    And di some other random scribbles for the "attempt" marks.

I reckon I got my 80 points at least, I was hoping for the full fifty on Q1 but clearly that hasn't happened. Just need 160 on P2, shouldn't be too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 MACCER

was a bit of a beatch alright, the simultaneous equation in q2? never seen anything like it, i repeat the leaving and do worse in maths wtf?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

MACCER wrote:
    was a bit of a beatch alright, the simultaneous equation in q2? never seen anything like it, i repeat the leaving and do worse in maths wtf?

LOL. Ya, I know. Pathetic if you ask me, I dunno what they were thinking putting that down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

That paper was a NIGHTMARE

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

they were not simulatanius question in question two, you let x = 2-2y or somthing like that then sub in i think.

The paper was not that hard, i just found question 1 with the ratio and question 2 part c hard, the rest was fine, (i hope)

for question 4 part c (ii) did anyone get k = -3 and t = 3/2??

JohnCleary wrote:
    That paper was a NIGHTMARE

*pinches you* Wake up, your allright its a dream. :P

I wish. Twas fairly hard and quite different, Im appaled at Q2(C) and I feel like telling the Department thats there a pack of muppets.

Luckily, I dragged out every bloody question I could do. Q.1 gave me the runs. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

o and question 2 part (i) anyone get x??

post all ur anwsers here, i took mine down, i'll post them after irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

I thought it was a very fair paper I could do everything apart from Q2 part c and the part c in Q5 anyone get the seq and series part c? It was something like:
    1/8th is the 3rd term and 1/16 is the 5th term in a geometric series. find the first term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

Defo a step up then past exams especially the phrasing Had to do an extra question just to cover myself . Population in q1 c ; Where the compound interest questions gone . I know it runs on the same principal but come on . Stick to the usual phrasing.

Thank god I got the ratio question in B or . No Johneer taught Q4 was grand no didnt get that answer. Got a differenet one but worked out cleanly.

Q7 was fine but for the little twist with the speed in the part but again got the answer.
    Q2 yeah that was a sub in b where you subbed it in . Usually get x2 + y2 . So again that was different but worked out easy in the end.

yeah 15 c was funny , had saw that type with arithmetic and you just solve a symlatonus equation for a and b and then get r . put end up weird as it was geometric and the r4 and r2.

Had to do it my head
    was q 5 c answers 1) r= 1/2
    2) a = 1 ie 1,1/2,1/4,1/8,1/16
    and 3)and part 111 was term 7
    as 1/64 is 0.015 which is greather than 0.010 the next term is 0.007 so had to be term 7 i think

anyone got answers for q6 part c 11 and 111

johneer question 2 part 1 was answer 39 i think and

cornwell q1 c , i think was P + 0.1P and (11) 16.68% (made the base year 100 and worked it like compound internest) not sure if I was on the right track or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Lol. Couldnt do 1 A but have something like ^ that so. Had 16.67...

Also WTF was 2C? Couldnt do them at all.

The term for that was the first 10. T11 was something like.0009 but t10 was above whatever was asked. dont have my paper i left an hour early after doing all 8.

Anyway. Have gotten 4 questions for definite 50/50, so i can pretty surely say i got an A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Flamingfud

Africa wrote:
    Lol. Couldnt do 1 A but have something like ^ that so. Had 16.67...

Also WTF was 2C? Couldnt do them at all.

The term for that was the first 10. T11 was something like.0009 but t10 was above whatever was asked. dont have my paper i left an hour early after doing all 8.

Anyway. Have gotten 4 questions for definite 50/50, so i can pretty surely say i got an A.

No, I think he was right. I had term seven (1/64) for that. Although I did have to get r by using a little bit of fugdy maths (I hate when you know the answer but you can't explain it properly)

The population question was tricky, until you realised that it was basically compound interest. You should have gotten a weird 16.6886 (whatever) for the percentage growth....and therefore 50,000 as the original population.

Other than that, am I the only one who thought it was a good paper? I mean, 2, part C (iii) was really, really hard (took me fourty-five minutes, don't know if it's right), but I think i got part (i) and part (ii)

Other than that, I havent seen anything I got wrong yet.

Yeah Flaming fud , thats what got for q1 aswell , spot on .
    Yeah q2 c was tricky . that was my extra question so didnt really care but it didnt come out cleanly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I got something like x= -1 and x= 5 for Q. 2 part C, i think its right aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

I found it frustrating. I knew how to do those types of questions, but they were phrased awkwardly. Miffed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Biggest load of ****e ive ever sat through. Couldnt have been arsed sitting there for the full time.

Yeah same as me , things are looking good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I did terrible. I'm going to have to make up for it big time on Paper 2. It must have been the hardest paper ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

question 2 part b was very odd the way they worded it, they said solve for x and y which is grand until you actually do the sum... when you work it out you end up with two co-ordinates :rolleyes:

as for 2 part c.. i worked it out in indices cos thats what that part of the questions usually is.. changed the square roots to powers of a half and i ended up with x = a half!

i thought complex numbers was grand but some of the diffrenciation ones were abit mad.. like q3 part b! aaghhhhhhhh!! :confused:

overall it wasnt as bad as i thought it would have been
    but still they must hate us!...

did anyone elses atendent person fall asleep!?!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Flamingfud

hum wrote:
    question 2 part b was very odd the way they worded it, they said solve for x and y which is grand until you actually do the sum... when you work it out you end up with two co-ordinates :rolleyes:

as for 2 part c.. i worked it out in indices cos thats what that part of the questions usually is.. changed the square roots to powers of a half and i ended up with x = a half!

i thought complex numbers was grand but some of the diffrenciation ones were abit mad.. like q3 part b! aaghhhhhhhh!! :confused:

overall it wasnt as bad as i thought it would have been
    but still they must hate us!...

did anyone elses intendent person fall asleep!?!! :eek:

You're on the right track with changing the square roots to powers. The problem is that you can't add x-to-the-power-of-fraction's to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

looking back over the last few years of papers, and i have to admit that the 2005 paper was definelately the hardest since 1996/1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Hopefully paper 2 makes up for it - I struggled through it, but I think I clawed my way out of it with a pass... it was an odd one though, I certainly don't remember feeling this way after paper 1 in the mocks.

I got (iirc) 16.668 for the disputed question and - in the end - I think the pop worked out at 50000... going by memory, that is.

Flamingfud wrote:
    You're on the right track with changing the square roots to powers. The problem is that you can't add x-to-the-power-of-fraction's to each other

Why not? I did, and I got an answer!

NoelRock wrote:
    Hopefully paper 2 makes up for it - I struggled through it, but I think I clawed my way out of it with a pass... it was an odd one though, I certainly don't remember feeling this way after paper 1 in the mocks.

I got (iirc) 16.668 for the disputed question and - in the end - I think the pop worked out at 50000... going by memory, that is.

Worst worded question in the history of the papers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

yeah it was really dogey, i didnt add them i had one x to the power of a half on one side of the = and i had one on the other side beneath as if it was like a fraction! so in the end they cancel out :o
    agh well nothing i can do now!

Advertisement