Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths (O) Paper One

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭sarahg_angel69

ye god the paper was hard!!! got 92% in the mox n was hopin for around the same!! not now!!!!!!!!!!! qt 4 and 7 were easy tho, def got 2 50/50.... av to make up on paper 2!!!!
    ye qt.2 part (b) ye u do get co ordinates...strange..when they just say x and y... but we'll see after!!
    ANYONE KNOW HOW SOON U CAN SEE THE MARKIN SCHEME????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

These exams are exhausting and there's been no pay-off for me whatsoever, so far.

I didn't do well enough in the mocks to get the points i need, but at the time I was doing them I felt like things were going more smoothly than they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Question 5 belonged on a junior cert foundation maths paper, was far too easy. Not that im complaining or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Question 5 belonged on a junior cert foundation maths paper, was far too easy. Not that im complaining or anything.
    I forgot the formulae :( I'm kicking myself over it!

You didnt need any for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cessy

hey i liked the paper it was challenging
    for Q2(c) did any body get like(i) rootx+1 over rootx
    (ii)2
    (iii)5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭trishemurphy

i thought the maths was nice question 5 nearly explained to you what to do but like you bulk i'm not complaining

Damn I didn't even look at Q5.

forget about it now its over jonnydid you do 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

I got 50000 for the population to! YAY! I used the compound interest formula for it and it worked out!! Yay!!

The one with the square root of x + 1/ root x was the only only Im pretty sure I did a load of WAFFLE for !

Overall I thought it was a lovely paper!

• Advertisement

i mean 6 questions sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cessy

was the population ans not 52150 cuz it was a 16%inc so 16=8344 blah blah blah

Oh crap!!! i hope not! :(

Hmmm! I shall do the ques again now to have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

HORRIBLE PAPER!!!! question 8!! what was that all about!!! think parts of that paper came from the moon!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rose**

nightmare paper it was so stupid hadnt a clue of question 2 and thats my "good" question. really disappointed. worked my arse of at maths at year and felt like it was all a slap in the face.

Put it behind you and move on!!! Take it from some one who's repeating! I freaked over English last year and competely choked on my others , turned out I got a B1 in Eng and bombed the others!!! Panic and it'll effect every one of them!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

cessy wrote:
    was the population ans not 52150 cuz it was a 16%inc so 16=8344 blah blah blah

That's what I got aswell, though I'm fairly sure it's wrong. 1 (c) and 2 (c) were confusing as f*ck, but I think it was a pretty nice paper other than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Reading the papers and listening to the radio it seems like paper 1 was a bitch for most people. I personally found it handy enough.

for the ratio part you could also use decimals, .5, .333, .75 or use it as 12's either way i assume you will be marked correct as decimals are natural no.s or whatever came up.

For the population question.
    Part 1 was simply writing p = 110%
    And for part two the answer was not 16%, although u may think it was, it wasnt.
    When you add up the totaling amounts youget 16.35 or something i cant remember. But you might get away with 16.

All in all I thought the paper was "different" and they went for a different angle. But dont worry it will be marked easier i can count on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

wahooo i got 16.something and thought i was gone very wrong, BUT i didnt write 110% cos i thought that would be too obvious and went a big lond stupid way around it. they put a different slant on a lot of the qs....where was my beautiful acceleration :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

Few questions I have:

On 2 c) the rootx + 1 over root x anyone by chance get 1?
    The way i got it was that rootx is x^1/2 so they cancel and got 1 as the answer?

On 1 b) for whole numbers I got the ratio of 18 to 12 to 9 just out of curiousity since it doesn't say the simplest whole number ratio should i get the marks?

And just one more on question 5 c) i saw the ratio in my head and wrote it down i knew what it was just couldn't realise how to get it just wondering if i should get the marks I got it right just the answers down though?

Overall i thought it was one of the toughest papers in a while cause the ones from 2000 to 2004 had nothing like question 2 with roots all over the place it was mainly something like 8 get it to the power of 2.
    I did well on it but i certainly didn't get it all right but i would say somewhere around 240marks I did 8 questions so hopefully maybe better. I was praying i would remember the product rule and stuff so as i went in i filled page with all the equations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I wasn't satisfied at all at the end.

While I attempted nearly every question, I don't believe I got any of the (c) parts right. Was a tricky paper, especially question 1 imo. I studied a good bit of Maths over the last month; the end result just doesn't pay off.

I was hoping for a high B. Now I'll have to get mostly everything right in Paper 2 to even scrape a B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Da_IRISH_ONE4U

Sully04 wrote:
    Paper was an arse, espicaly Q2 part C. I mean WTF? We aint fecking honour students!

I got a lot of the questions done, dragged it out as much as I could and did a LOT of attempting of the parts I had no idea of etc. so I think i passed the paper. As they say, hard paper = nice marking scheme. Now, lets get prepared for Paper 2!!!!

General word on the street: Hard paper, completley fraised different and was generaly tough. Aint heard no1 say it was "Easy" yet, not even those who dropped from honours!

I dropped down from higher. Was hoping to ace this paper - Really upset about it. Ill have to get full marks now in paper 2 if i want any decent grade. God i hope its easier!

2004 and 2003 papers were simple. Why did they have to make them hard this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I would say I'll be lucky to get all the attempt marks from P1 so hopefully those marks combined with P2 should get me a bare pass. Which is fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

rose** wrote:
    nightmare paper it was so stupid hadnt a clue of question 2 and thats my "good" question. really disappointed. worked my arse of at maths at year and felt like it was all a slap in the face.

lol same here!

I had worked so hard on all questions apart from 6 and 8 because I thought they were a lost cause. I did them at the end and flew threw them! was delighted cause I had a bit of a disaster on the other questions. I need a B3 min for my course so duringf the exam I was just saying to myself "might aswell just shoot myself now". But looking back, I don`t think I did too bad. i`m going to swat like a mad thing for paper 2 to make up any marks lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tara_mac

bloody question 8 what a oad of crap in all fairness what was going on there and the car and the post thingy [arts 2 and 3 hello like

other than that taking out questins 2 5 cos i didnt do them easy enough happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

question one was prolly the hardest i thought and its usually the easiest,

Since so many of think you did bad in the paper and the overall view of the paper was that it was a bit*h, therefore a lot of people will have failed, so inorder the have the number of fails as low as possible the up the marks on alot of the questions, like take for example question 3 part c, that could be worth 20marks instead of the origional 10, just an example, but they do bring up the marks on the questions that alot of people get right so less people will fail,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Flamingfud

colin300 wrote:
    Few questions I have:

On 2 c) the rootx + 1 over root x anyone by chance get 1?
    The way i got it was that rootx is x^1/2 so they cancel and got 1 as the answer?

Ummm....no. At least...I don't think so. X*1r2 doesn't cancel x*-1r2, which is what one over root x would be.

It would if you were multiplying them, (due to the rule of indices), but otherwise, I don't think so. Still haven't seen an answer for this question that looks right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Question 8 was this asintote(sp?) incase anyone is wondering, the points were +or-1.414 (which is root 2)

Flamingfud wrote:
    Ummm....no. At least...I don't think so. X*1r2 doesn't cancel x*-1r2, which is what one over root x would be.

It would if you were multiplying them, (due to the rule of indices), but otherwise, I don't think so. Still haven't seen an answer for this question that looks right

If you multiplied them would you not be left with x^0 which is = to 1.

• Advertisement

Did anyone else get loads of decimals in the ratio question?

Mine all totted up to 324.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

instead of 325. What the hell.

Advertisement