Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PATRIOT act expanded.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

axer wrote:
    I think Ireland & others should invade the USA to liberate the american people from their government that continues suppress their freedom (plus I think they have weapons of mass destruction too!!)
    Maybe we should invade South Tipperary and find all their WMDs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

xm15e3 wrote:
    IMO, the Patriot Act is overly hyped. For the most part it gives law enforcement access to the same type of information, with a warrent

While you need a warrent they can now get secret warrents given without any of the annoying things like showing evidence that it is need to get one. When the PAct is updated and signed off they won't need a warrent at all to do it.

There is also picky things like being allowed to break into your house and search it while you are not there and without your knowledge that such a search took place. This leaves it open to abuse like planting evidence or the chance you could shoot an FBI person who you mistake for a burgler and be in the wrong for it as they had a piece of paper that allows them access.

As for phone tapping, they can create a roving wiretap. What this means is if the suspect picks up a public telephone they get the right to tap that phone even after the "terrorist" has left the area. They can also tap phones outside the area where the person lives/works and listen in on any phone conversations. Add to that if lets say "terrorist" phones you, they are also allowed tap your conversations after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

is there not a case in the courts over there at the moment involving this and some ISP who info was demanded off. The FBI defense was that the case was illegal because you weren't allowed reveal you'd been served with such a subpeona/warrant and therefore how could they complain about something you weren't allowed reveal.

The details are sketchy in my head. Twas in a week to a fortnight ago i read it. AFAIK the first hearings had gone in favour of the ISP. But the power of these laws are frightening.

Advertisement