Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths (H) Paper 1

Options
  • 09-06-2005 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

whats the thoughts?

was relativly fair i thought until i hit into question 6 and 7

6 (b) wasnt very nice and i wasnt a great fan of the c part 3

and 7 with the newton rapson thing was worded very poorly i thought

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

Gileadi wrote:
    whats the thoughts?

was relativly fair i thought until i hit into question 6 and 7

6 (b) wasnt very nice and i wasnt a great fan of the c part 3

and 7 with the newton rapson thing was worded very poorly i thought

I did absoultely terribly cant believe it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

relax. I felt the exam same the first time I did. I ended up repeated the maths but best decision I ever made.

concentrate on the rest of the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Alan G

Wasn't bad but there were alot of tough bits!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

Newton raphson Grrrrrrr!!!
    Didnt know how to get image of a curve GRRrrrrr!!!
    DeMoivre theorem bit GRRRRRRRR!!!!

Apart from that it was pretty run-of-the-mill though think ive prob done grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

i left out 5. Surprised myself by doing well with q4.

I felt both differentiation q's were a bit tough especially q7.

q8 i didn't know the proof for a cone. I was delighted to see factor therom.

I think i've upped myself from my d3 in mocks. Prob got a b/c.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

For that differentiation curve

I got the 1st bit right got the horiz asymptote right, wrote down the eqn for vert. asymptote wrong and got the therefore worng answer using the right method,
    drew the same wrong curve and
    got the last bit wrong butt attemepted how much marks will I get for that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

I though it was a lot harder than the previous 2 years. I don't think I did very well in it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Generally I thought it was tougher than other years but I found it good, the only part I didn't get was a bit in the newton-raphson question. But that was my worst question so it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Hard paper I though, much harder than the 2004.

Q1 and Q2 were the usual run of the mill stuff, except for the 2^1/4 yoke in 1 b. 2 c was a very easy piece of maths.

Q3, a and b parts were fine, standard stuff. C part was a little overly difficult I think, De Moivres theorem was too hard for 10 marks and the last part was ridiculous.

Didn't do 4 and 5 but they looked difficult, considering they are sposd to be the easiest questions on the paper.

Q6 and Q7: Hardest differentiation questions I've seen in ages, 6 (b) was very long and very difficult to get into tans at the end. 6 c(iii) was a joke, far too difficult. Q7 a and b were fine, c was hard but it was relatively easy to get attempt marks on the question, but very hard to finish.

Q8: usually the HARDEST question on the paper but it was BY FAR the easiest question on it, usual run of the mill a and b's , c (i) was a complete the square (a hard one but still easy to get some marks on) and c(ii) was the cone yoke, not bad at all.

Overall? Hard paper, easily the hardest in a few years, even harder than 2003, and the questions were so inconsistent throughout, I think I did ok though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 TailFeather

Definitely did rubbish!! Loads of stuff i jus didnt think would come up came up!! I hope they feel sorry for me and throw me a load of attempt marks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 lauraoaktree

the two diff q's really sucked. was the de moivres part the actual proof??
    ie p(0)=............
    P k+1...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

that was the most unfair paper i've ever seen.
    Far too difficult.
    Maths is my best and favourite subject, one which i could have got an a1 in , and to be given that paper it a joke.
    It was completely different in most parts to anything i've seen before.

So many a parts, were of b-part standard. Take for example, the differenciate by 1st principles x^2. Although its an easy question, usually 1st deriavative come up in (b).
    The inverse sin of x/5 in 6a. Also a b part.
    And what annoyed me most, i chose not to do binomials and leave out question 5. So why the f*** do i find binomials in both 3 and 4?
    The c part to sequences and series was completely algebra. 1 and 2 were long enough. Didnt need another c part of it.an as i said part b was a binomail expansion.
    The newton rhaphson question was insane. Never done anything like that before. And i was ALWAYS under the impression that asymbtotes never cross.Even the 6(b) was hard.

I was expecting to be able to handle most a and b parts easy enough, and at least make a positive stab at the c parts, and instead, got completely panicked at the amount of difficulty and left it a mess. So many people have been giving out about this paper. Im annoyed. I went in wanting an A and came out in hope of c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I think everyone is going to have to realise that just because you found it a hard paper it doesn't mean you won't get the grade you deserve, so many people said it was impossible so obviously they are going to go easy in the marking schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Teslacuted

Newton-Rhapson question was just wrong, and being asked to sketch a graph? They can't spring that sort of thing on us, if enough people make a formal complaint they'll take it into account when marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

I was SO difficult. What was the deal with that Newton-Raphson thing? I just didn't get what they were saying... I hope they won't mark it hard, it was so difficult :(

I tried my best and did 6 questions, attempted every sub section of them... but still :(

1(c): (x-p)² is factor of x³+qx+r
    show that 27r²+4q³=0
    express teh roots of 3x²+q=0 in terms of p
    hadnt a notion of this!?
    Q6b,Q7c[WTF??]

don't forget ur 0xsquared how do u get that small 2?

then u get ur factor which is x + cant remember and u get the rest in terms of p.

Anybody else finding it hard to judge where they are at??

maybe the case, it was still completely unfair. It seemed like whoever wrote it, was trying to catch people out. It is also a total kick in the teeth. I went in full of confidence, ready to tackle most parts well and clean. Came out feeling like not bothering with irish. As i siad, maths is my best subject, and ive spent ALOT of time studying it, and instead of doing well and being rewarded for all my work, i get killed. If i had done no work on maths than grand, but that wasnt the case.

Teslacuted wrote:
    Newton-Rhapson question was just wrong, and being asked to sketch a graph? They can't spring that sort of thing on us, if enough people make a formal complaint they'll take it into account when marking.

true. i really didn't like this. Completly through me off. i was hoping for a quick part (a) or (b) with the newton rapson method but it wasn't to be :(

don't forget ur 0xsquared how do u get that small 2?

then u get ur factor which is x + cant remember and u get the rest in terms of p.

Anybody else finding it hard to judge where they are at??

Do your long division and you'll have the first part worked out. For the second part, you sub in what p was in terms of q and you'll see that the roots are x=p and x=-p, if my memory serves me correctly.

LMAO, its getting COMPLETELY slammed all over the place. Radio and news. All saying the same thing. "Hoping for a1, not sure if i passed."

lol please dont start giving out solutions. Make me feel bad

• Advertisement

TimAy wrote:
    maybe the case, it was still completely unfair. It seemed like whoever wrote it, was trying to catch people out. It is also a total kick in the teeth. I went in full of confidence, ready to tackle most parts well and clean. Came out feeling like not bothering with irish. As i siad, maths is my best subject, and ive spent ALOT of time studying it, and instead of doing well and being rewarded for all my work, i get killed. If i had done no work on maths than grand, but that wasnt the case.

don't worry about it too much, i'm sure u will make it up in the paper 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 CoffeeFreak

I thought it was alright, but there were definitely some tricky bits in it...ie. the Newton-Raphson one, that's usually an easy one but I couldn't really understand exactly what they were were looking for :(. I also didn't know how to get the image of the stupid graph..I'm sure it's really simple, but wouldn't it be in the co-ordinate geometry section? I haven't studied that yet.

Do your long divion and you'll have the first part worked out. For the second part, you sub in what p was in terms of q and you'll see that the roots are x=p and x=-p, if my memory serves me correctly.
    you beauty!!! exactly what i got. I have all my answers written down in the booklet. I'll prob go through it someday after the exams.

Teslacuted wrote:

Oh yeah, that too. I haven't sketched a graph once in LC higher level maths. I honestly didn't know it could come up. I was so shocked when it did, but I used the side of my tables book and drew some crude asymptotes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

yeah i found the paper quite different to anything in the past papers. q's 1-3 were grand but the diff q's were quite weird. yeah i got a fright when i saw that 2^1/4 but i got it in the end 2^(9/4)... i hope!!!! that question 1 part c was very easy. for the roots i got p/3 and -27p^5 hope they are right!!!!

moe

I thought it was alright, but there were definitely some tricky bits in it...ie. the Newton-Raphson one, that's usually an easy one but I couldn't really understand exactly what they were were looking for :(. I also didn't know how to get the image of the stupid graph..I'm sure it's really simple, but wouldn't it be in the co-ordinate geometry section? I haven't studied that yet.

I'm pretty sure I got the Newton-Raphson thing and the graph right. But I just realised that it did something stupid with De Moivre's theorem, and I'm not going to embarrass myself and say what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

deek wrote:
    Newton raphson Grrrrrrr!!!
    Didnt know how to get image of a curve GRRrrrrr!!!
    DeMoivre theorem bit GRRRRRRRR!!!!

Apart from that it was pretty run-of-the-mill though think ive prob done grand :)
    Oh god I remember that Newton Raphson method....AFIAR it was a handy one to pick up the marks....was jus a bit laborious

Oh, also, did anyone think it was weird the way they added that algebra stuff into the question 4? :eek: I was expecting general sequence and series only! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Forget about it, nothing that you do now will have consequence. On with paper 2... at least people will probably be more prepared for it

• Advertisement

big_moe wrote:
    yeah i found the paper quite different to anything in the past papers. q's 1-3 were grand but the diff q's were quite weird. yeah i got a fright when i saw that 2^1/4 but i got it in the end 2^(9/4)... i hope!!!! that question 1 part c was very easy. for the roots i got p/3 and -27p^5 hope they are right!!!!

moe

Your first thing is right, but when I did the long division I got q=-3p^2. So when you put that in the equation in place of q you get 3x^2-3p^2=o, which is the same as x^2-p^2, which is equal to (x-p)(x+p). So the answer is p and -p, if I did it right that is.

Advertisement