Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths (H) Paper 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

binomial, complex numbers were harder than normal and they were my bankers!oh for **** sake, integration was a pile of piss however, average mark was a d2 last year and the examiner was told to bring it up so i got the drop on it. the rest of the papper alas dropped me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

feck. for some reason i used alpha and beta as the roots and cant remember what i did to get my answer!! question 2 part c (ii) very quick and handy to get out. a bit of an easy part c IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Teslacuted

What did people thing of the DeMoivres? I think I got it out, I expanded the bracket they gave in terms of Z and then subbed cos0 + isin0 in for Z and did the usual Demoivres thing and the only thing that worries me is that I got +6 aswell as the answer they wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

differentiation had always been one of the easier questions for me but it really threw me off and i know other lads who were banking on them. I did 7 of them and messed up part c's on the last 3 q's.

not fair in that way, but the question 4 was a beauty prob because it was mainly algebra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

I agree totally with TimAy, math is my favourite subject and one of my best but this paper totally threw me. It is unfair to give us a paper so out of tune with the last 10 years just to try catch us out. Question 4 was really unfair. The binomial was totally out of place and part (c) was weird and again totally unfair. A lot of the part c’s were weird especially the final part of Q 6. Too many people drop honours maths and yet they feel the need to needlessly mix things up and change it from the year before. Sure they can make the papers harder if they want but when they mix things up like today it only makes people panic (well me anyway). I think I may have scraped the A though, so hopefully paper two goes well!
    TimAy wrote:
    And i was ALWAYS under the impression that asymbtotes never cross.Even the 6(b) was hard.
    And just a quick pedantic note (sad I know) but asymptotes for a rational function have to cross! One is a line on the x axis and one is a line on the y axis, they would have to be parallel not to cross!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

There is gonna be a whole load of people repeatin next year......

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

That was such an awful paper for me. I worked out my marks, I should have about 20% more on that paper than I did on my mocks, but I was hoping for way more of a leap because I have worked so hard on Maths, I've studied it way more than any of my other subjects. I just hope paper 2 is nice

I'm surprised that people weren't happy to see a graph tbh. It looked really easy when I first looked at it and it was even easier when I did it! Afaik there are 2 ways to do (c).

Translate the graph through the point where the asymptotes intersect (1,1), and see if it's the same.

Or check to see if the imaged graph has the same asymptotes, which it did.

I think we were suppose to do it the second way, seen as how it was a differentiation question. But I don't know how many people knew about that. I don't think it's in the books.

TimAy wrote:
    And i was ALWAYS under the impression that asymbtotes never cross.Even the 6(b) was hard.

Actually it's quite the opposite: they ALWAYS INTERSECT. Even if you didn't know that, then just plain logic would have told you: If there is a HORIZONTAL and a VERTICAL asymptote, the surely they must cross?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

big_moe wrote:
    yeah i found the paper quite different to anything in the past papers. q's 1-3 were grand but the diff q's were quite weird. yeah i got a fright when i saw that 2^1/4 but i got it in the end 2^(9/4)... i hope!!!! that question 1 part c was very easy. for the roots i got p/3 and -27p^5 hope they are right!!!!

moe

The roots were -p and +p. The 2^1/4 was ok though I thought?

2^1/4 + 2^1/4 + 2^1/4 + 2^1/4
    4(2^1/4)
    2x2x(2^1/4)
    2^9/4 (add the indices)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

But I don't know how many people knew about that. I don't think it's in the books.
    Well that's kinda the problem, isn't it? If it's not in the books, how are people meant to know about it? I know some teachers are pretty sound and they teach without really relying on the books, but we were taught straight out of the book and so anything that wasn't in the book, we didn't know

Fishie wrote:
    Well that's kinda the problem, isn't it? If it's not in the books, how are people meant to know about it? I know some teachers are pretty sound and they teach without really relying on the books, but we were taught straight out of the book and so anything that wasn't in the book, we didn't know

I didn't know it either, as I did both methods, and noticed when I drew the imaged graph that it had the exact same asymptotes, so I assumed it was a rule or something.

Fishie wrote:

Twas in my book! A whole section, if I remember rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Teslacuted

I'm surprised that people weren't happy to see a graph tbh. It looked really easy when I first looked at it and it was even easier when I did it! Afaik there are 2 ways to do (c).

I wasn't ready for the graph, no pencil, no ruler and I was half way through plotting 10 points between 1 and 50 to get the graph shape when I realised the asymptote wouldn't let them go past one...would a 'sketch' (eg a squiggle to just show the shape) get the marks? I still don't agree with it, caught way too many people out. The test is supposed to allow you to tell the examiner what you know, it feels like that juicy fruit ad with the bear trap, the examiners are standing back and laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Omg I got completely tr0wned by that exam. I walked in thinking right Seán you've done the work and you know going on the last few papers that you should nail that A1! Afer about 2 questions my confidence had been destroyed it was just so hard and Maths is one of my best subjects and I worked for it and had the past papers mastered. I'd be very lucky if i got a B3 I'm really down I wanted and had it in me to do well but it all just fell apart over that paper.

And wtf were they smoking when they asked to prove that curve was under symettry through the asymtotes!!???! If ANYONE IN IRELAND knew how to do that they should be given an honory docterate.

If ANYONE IN IRELAND knew how to do that they should be given an honory docterate.

I knew two ways of doing it. What do I get? :rolleyes:

Er. People. They asked for a "sketch". Hence all they wanted was a sketch. And I knew two too, can we share the cert Aristotle? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I didn't know it either, as I did both methods, and noticed when I drew the imaged graph that it had the exact same asymptotes, so I assumed it was a rule or something.

Well it was kinda obvious that if you used the intersection of asymptotes for the point through which central symmetry was done that to prove 'the curve is its own image' that it would have the same asymptotes.

*Angel* wrote:
    Well it was kinda obvious that if you used the intersection of asymptotes for the point through which central symmetry was done that to prove 'the curve is its own image' that it would have the same asymptotes.

Exactly! Why are people finding that so hard to understand?

Maybe it's the kinda thing that comes up on OL, and we're trying to make it look as complicated as possible.

edibility wrote:
    Er. People. They asked for a "sketch". Hence all they wanted was a sketch. And I knew two too, can we share the cert Aristotle? :P

Ok. I'll let you have it on weekends.

• Advertisement

Hey, I want it at LEAST three times a week.

edibility wrote:
    Hey, I want it at LEAST three times a week.

Ok, how about I also give it to you on Friday every second week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Happy Birthday edibility :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Groovychick

The asymptotes crossed at (1,1) and i just took at point from one side and transferred it through that point to other side: e.g.
    (2,2) -> (1,1) -> (0,0)
    (4,1.333)-> (1,1) -> (-2,0.666)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Three words

Crash. And. Burn.

(argh am soooo pissed with myself - nearly ended up crying in the exam cuz nothing would go right!!! And I got 94% in the mockks.....its just not fair!!!! )

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

i didnt think twas too bad in fairness, first impressions were oh god why oh why, but once i got into it i thought twas ok.

1b caught me. ****er
    1c hadnt a clue
    2 imo was teh easy question along with 3, but didnt get 3c out.
    6 was weird i thought, wasnt teh typical q6 in the papers, btu the c part was grand apart from teh iii.
    was hoping 1st principles would be a B part cause easy marks, meh didnt happen. parametric eqns was a long b(i) imo aussi, and 7c really threw me out the window
    8 was ok wasnt well prepared for it but got ai+ii+bi perfect

That's not three times a week. Technically, it's 2.5 times a week. Whish, as stated before, is IT not the required amount of three times a week.

(thanks ange
    l)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Study???

Overall I thought the paper was very fair, We had a lot of choice and we can't complain. I did, however, think 6(b)and7(c ii) were paticularly difficult.

Does anyone have answers to
    3 part b
    dy/dx of 6b not in terms of t
    question 8 bii and ci
    Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

i did the exact same!!!!
    jus as i was readin over the paper jotted down the answer next to the question

erm, im pretty happy with mine
    got all q1 out,
    all of q2 except part b (but that was my fault, i cldnt remember how to get the roots of a cubic)
    all of q3
    all of q4 (except b ii...what was that about?!??!?)
    for q6, a***d around with part b, hopin for a good few attempt marks, shld get attempt marks for c iii too
    and question7? got on grand, yeah cldnt do c (ii) but i could still do c (i) and (iii)

does anyone know if a solution is published? maths is usually one of my weaker subjects and ive got a sneaky feelin that i shldnt be satisfied with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

3b i think are 2 or -1/2

Advertisement