Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths (H) Paper 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

3 part b
    i got:

-3/2 + 1/2 i
    -3/2 - 3/2 i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Study??? wrote:
    Overall I thought the paper was very fair, We had a lot of choice and we can't complain. I did, however, think 6(b)and7(c ii) were paticularly difficult.

Does anyone have answers to
    3 part b
    dy/dx of 6b not in terms of t
    question 8 bii and ci
    Thanks in advance

ln 7 for bii i think and maybe lg5/4 of something for the ci

jacksie wrote:
    3b i think are 2 or -1/2
    b****x

i knew it was too good to be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

****!! ahah..

dont you group the like terms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

6b was a beast of a sum, went on for ages, unless i messed it completly up. I'm hoping for good attempt marks. Tell me it was a quotient?

• Advertisement

For 8b (ii), change sin^2theta into 1/2.(1-cos4theta)

For c(i), 3 + 2x - x^2 = 3 -(x^2 - 2x)

= 3+1 - (x^2 -2x +1)

=2^2 - (x-1)^2

And now it looks like the sine inverse rule in the tables.

im wrong i left out the ****ing square.

3 ans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

Q1 C : didnt know how to work it out - i did the division and all but you know those times when things just never seem to work out?

Q2 C : i got 2ab=k squared (annoying and wrong!!!)

Q3 : such a relief, everything worked out, so lucky cause i just saw in my text book before going in that 1/z=cos(-theta) + i sin (-theta).....helped quicken that up for me.

Q6: That whole t + t(cubed) didn't work out, but otherwise it was ok! Sketching a curve is always part of the diff chapter and if you couldn't work it out well. . .

Q7: Newton raphson wtf?? My teacher looked at me afterwards in an you-should-have-been-able-to-work-it-out way, that bee-atch couldnt teach to save her life!

Q8: Grand apart from nasty volume of a cone thing that i should have known!!!

BTW, i said for the asymptote symmetry thing that (x,y) becomes (y,x) when passed through the intersection, will i get an attempt mark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Study???

Ya it was a quotient did anyone else get for dx/dy 2sinx all divided by (1 +cosx)^2?

at this stage i think everyone only got attempt marks

• Advertisement

3 part b
    i got:

-3/2 + 1/2 i
    -3/2 - 3/2 i

I think I got fractions for that question too. I could be wrong though. I can't really remember.

yeah i did
    but thats not the final answer
    youve supposedly gotta fiddle around with it
    trig formulars and the like

anyone got an answer for 3b, jus wanna calm the auld heart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

Ya study??? i got that far too! Couldn't work it out any further and couldn't work backwards from the tan's. Ah well it might be marked easier for it. And if it isnt shur we cannot do a thing. Gotta worry bout Irish now. Toodles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Study???

Phew thought i was the only one, tried everything... can i ask everyone here did anyone get 7 c ii out??..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

just to clear my name, i meant the graphs never cross. Just realised why i didnt know what was going on. I always thought the asymbtotes were the graphs you produced not the lines that housed them.s***.

As for the paper, im sticking by it being totally unfair. As a few people mentioned, went in looking for the a1 and was completely thrown of course.

It more than annoying, going in confident to your "best" exam and coming out wondering what it was all about.

nope
    but i did c (i) and c (iii)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭KamikazeBananze

Gods. I didn't like that sucker one bit.

Q1 was good fun.

Q3... I messed up (b) and the end of (c)(ii). Not bad otherwise.

The induction in Q5 was tricky. And the (c) was... almost too easy. I'm disappointed with the Exam Board.

As many people have pointed out, Q6 and Q7 were irritating. The Newton-Rhapson and the implicit diff were irritating.

Q8's (c) was mean. But, oh well...

In the words of the Foo Fighters, "Done, done, on to the next one."

Which, in this case, is my Greek exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

the newton raphson is done basically the same way. Un+1 is just the next approximation.get f(x) and f'(x) and put in the Un for the x. Its what you usually do just with numbers.then rearrange and you get what they give

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭KamikazeBananze

Study??? wrote:
    Phew thought i was the only one, tried everything... can i ask everyone here did anyone get 7 c ii out??..........

I got (i) and (iii). Not (ii).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

I just looked at q.4 now on examinations.ie
    cant believe it,
    I could have gotten full marks in it, i just disregarded it cause cant do those arithmetic stuff but it was all algebra or Un Un+1 stuff

God damn it i feel so sick!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I did Q1-3,6-8 and have to say I was pretty happy with the exam... got a B1 at Christmas, down to 40% in the mocks (let's just say I lost interest) but having gone through the paper with a maths teacher I'm pretty confident I got about 210 - 230 marks on paper 1 which puts me back on target for a high B.

Best of luck in paper 2 folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

That paper was horrible. I "might" and i stress "might" have scrapped a pass. If paper 2 is anything like that I haven't a hope. And that 2^1/4 drove me insane, I just couldn't get it out! ANd i'm really mad at myself for screwing up the first principle. I just did it in 10 seconds there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I actually found the Newton Raphson thing pretty easy. It confused me for ages - nearly had the answer but not quite, then realised I'd cocked up getting the common denominator. As in 3rd class maths...

The 6 part (c) (iii) was impossible - my teacher was looking at it and he said it was very long and difficult plus completely unexpected so it won't get much in the marking scheme and may even get struck off completely - apparently they did that before.

Hopefully most of the marks in 6 (b) are going for the differentiation rather than the trig cause I just gave up after a while - sin and cos to the power of four everywhere but no tan to be seen.

If people have said all this before sorry, I read the first page then skipped to this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭stevoxbx

I thought the paper was much harder than previous years! I messed up on the b parts of most questions, but got out some of the c parts(thought 6c was really easy) that some of ye think should be takin of the marking scheme altogether. If they do that ill be lucky to pass. The 2^1/4 thing and not been able to get out q1(c) messed up my head for the rest of the paper. Im s***in it for paper 2 now :(

Exactly. i got 6 (c) right, so they better not give it low marks! :mad:

I messed up in some stupid stuff so I really need the marks from that!

Exactly. i got 6 (c) right, so they better not give it low marks! :mad:

I messed up in some stupid stuff so I really need the marks from that!

My sentiments exactly, either way the marking scheme is rediculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Whats the point in having a system where there are 8 topics, in which you pick 6 (the six topics you are good with) when they are going to completely take your choice away by totally spreading questions from one topic around in others? (eg Binomials today along with algebra)

TimAy wrote:
    Whats the point in having a system where there are 8 topics, in which you pick 6 (the six topics you are good with) when they are going to completely take your choice away by totally spreading questions from one topic around in others? (eg Binomials today along with algebra)

And q.4 was all algebra i would have got full marks if i had seen it just ignored it today!!!!!!

I hate myself right now feel like eating lead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Hey now, you don't even know the marking scheme yet, it is of course going to be unfavourable to some people.

Life's a b!tch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

i thought 6c u just got the symmetry trough the pt(1,1) the same way a previuos thread said.
    Q1 usual stuff.got 2 to pwer of 9/4
    Q3 c hard
    Q4 god send no hard sequence only algebra bii n c
    Q6 b was tough
    Q7 c:atroicity
    Q8 another miracle.

hopefully we get 2 nice trigs vector line and prob.doing groups and its very easy just a few proofs n a bit of maths

Advertisement