Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Broken in to!

Options
  • 09-06-2005 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Our beloved punto was broken in to last night. They ripped the drivers door and bent it AND broke the window (WHY BOTH?!) They also ripped the ignition barrel out. So its in victor motors now,but we have to wait two working days before the assesor sees it. Do you think the insurance will cover it (tpft).
    Also we're on the look out for a better alarm,anyone know of some decent sites for them. If possible we'd like it to be activated by the central locking button on the key,but beggers cant be choosers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sorry for your troubles mate, fecking scrotes were prolly trying to hot wire it :mad:

Not sure if it is covered by your insurance company. Ring them up (special claims hotline) and tell them what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I got a cobra alarm for my fiesta a good while ago. Works the central locking (which wanst remote before the alarm was installed.
    Cost me around €200 about 2 years ago.

Cant remember the name of the company, theyre based in Santry pretty close to Omni (is that what its called?) Shopping centre..
    Ill check the sticker on my car window that has their name...

Really depends on where you're located as to best alarm places..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes I have a Cobra alarm for the last 4 years and have had no trouble with it. It does have the fuctionality of being hooked up to the car's central locking. Most good alarms these days do.

I can give you the name of a guy who supplies and installs them if you live near my neck of the woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Same thing happened to my Punto a couple of years ago... they're simple to break into... in future avoid any cars with doors that go all the way to the roof (i.e. ones you can grip onto the top of and rip open).. hell you don't even need a bar to jimmy it, you can pull the door back with your fingers.. (as I did in another previous punto after locking my keys in) .. its quite ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I had a Cobra Alarm installed by these guys....no problems whatsoever with the alarm, excellent service & they'll even call out to your home/workplace to fit it. Oh and they'll wire it into the central lockin system too which is nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Cheers for the replies. the insurance company are going to see it on MONDAY,and thats only to say if they do or dont cover it! Its crazy,they take ur money but take there time in paying you back-maybe i expect to much of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

So its in victor motors now,but we have to wait two working days before the assesor sees it. Do you think the insurance will cover it (tpft).

Sorry to hear.

Yes your insurance should cover it, but probably with a €500 excess or similar. ie they don't pay the first €500 of the claim.

Claiming may loose you your NCB, it may also effectively lock you to your existing insurer for the next 5 years, as many companies exclude new business who have claimed in that period - so all in all claiming on the Ins Co could be a long term looser for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

If your car is a '96 or later, it has a chip key and immobiliser. If you got red and blue keys with it it definitely has one and it simply can't be hotwired. Any type of noise-making alarm will do - there is no need to fit additional immobilisation as it just won't go.

If it is pre '96, buy a REALLY BIG chain and wrap it from the seat subframe to the steering wheel. Alarm = waste of time/money IMHO as skanks will ignore/diasable it if they really want. Flashing LEDs in door-tops another cheap alternative suggesting expensive alarm system...

'c

Advertisement