Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cowboy bebob

Options
  • 09-06-2005 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

sorry just watched ever episode of cowboy bebob and god did i love it.just wonder is there anything else from the same writer or is there any like it.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Did you watch the Cowboy Bebop movie too?

Samurai Champloo is great, 26 episodes.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Yeah, problem is, if that's your introduction to anime it sets the bar a little too high, it tends to imbue a "chasing the dragon" effect and you may be disappointed with many other shows that are considered brilliant in their genre.

Then again, hopefully you'll find that Bebops is not the only genre of anime you enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ya but is there anything else buy this writer on the lines of cowboy bebob

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

If Watanabe (the director) is what you're talking about then re-read and follow the link in Magic Monkey's post.

The action scenes especially are very much the reminiscint of Cowboy Bebop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Trionadreams

Theres is the manga of it, never read it, but you can find it at easons for about 10 euro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

i look back at cowboy bebop now and think its quite quaint, compared to full metal alchemist i suppose everything is though.

still a great series though, cool movie!

the manga sucks though.....

you could check out outlaw star, its kinda similiarish in style to the bebop

Other than Champloo, I'venever seen anything even vaguely resembling Bebop.

I disagree with Herobear, I don't think Outlaw Star is at all comparable other than for it's space setting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Firefly is kinda like bebop..

it's not an anime, but everyone that I've talked to who's seen bebop and firefly remarked on the similarity.

try Trigun, ... not really like bebop at all... but.. excellent and funny

Berserk is ... really nothing at all like bebop, but it's quite violent.. quite violent indeed. (note italics on indeed)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Theres is the manga of it, never read it, but you can find it at easons for about 10 euro

That manga is awful.

And change your avatar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

CuLT wrote:
    Yeah, problem is, if that's your introduction to anime it sets the bar a little too high, it tends to imbue a "chasing the dragon" effect and you may be disappointed with many other shows that are considered brilliant in their genre.

Then again, hopefully you'll find that Bebops is not the only genre of anime you enjoy :)

I disagree. While Bebop is great, I've seen far better Anime altogether. Berserk was mentioned, which is absolutely phenominal, and there's tonnes of other great anime out there.

As for recommendations, Samurai Champloo is supposedly the next big thing, haven't seen it myself, but I'm looking farward to it. Although they're not quite the same as the mighty Bebop, there's definetly some great Sci-fi tinged Anime that isn't mecha-related out there, and I'd certainly give a thumbs up to Outlaw Star, Trigun, Last Exile and Blue Submarine 6.

• Advertisement

I disagree. While Bebop is great, I've seen far better Anime altogether. Berserk was mentioned, which is absolutely phenominal, and there's tonnes of other great anime out there.

As for recommendations, Samurai Champloo is supposedly the next big thing, haven't seen it myself, but I'm looking farward to it. Although they're not quite the same as the mighty Bebop, there's definetly some great Sci-fi tinged Anime that isn't mecha-related out there, and I'd certainly give a thumbs up to Outlaw Star, Trigun, Last Exile and Blue Submarine 6.
    Berserk's incompleteness left me with some dissatisfaction, anyone I've talked to who has hailed Berserk as a masterpiece has almost always read the manga :)

Also, this thread is a request for "series like Bebop", not "what should I watch?", of which there are several threads, all of which are made redundant by AnimeNewsNetwork, AniDB, etc, which all have large databases of rated anime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I really liked Cowboy Beebop. I also loved the jazzy theme tune - unfortunately missing from the movie. If I were to level any criticisms at it they would be that the characters could verge on the annoying at times and more importantly, while the series had some extremely good parts where the story was built up in serial form there were some other episodes/segments that seemed very disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

BeBop has to be one of the greatest ever i think. never seen thre movie but love the series watch it religously!! Learned the3 theme tune in Japanese and English, GET THE ALBUM its amazing!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

I have the movie, I've never seen the series. Apparently, it's better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

oooooooooooooooooooooooo is such a thing possible??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the series isn't *better* than the movie it's just... a series

more of it, more stories, more characters, more cool ****.

if you've seen the movie and liked it you really should check out the series, you'll love it

Mordeth wrote:
    the series isn't *better* than the movie it's just... a series

more of it, more stories, more characters, more cool ****.

if you've seen the movie and liked it you really should check out the series, you'll love it
    Indeed.

The movie is actually a portion of the series set between episodes 22 and 23 if memory serves me correctly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

watched the movie last night,awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    now is escaflowne any good as i plan to delve into that next?

watched the movie last night,awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    now is escaflowne any good as i plan to delve into that next?
    Brilliant Music, entertaining, animation changes halfway through which was a little disappointing... but the music makes up for any flaws :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ya i was really suprised at how good the music was...
    good start when the music comes in and people are tapping their fingers and wiggling their asses!
    kinda guessed a lot that was going to happen but not the butterflies :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SERVE COLD

Yes, Samurai Champloo is done by the same team. it's set around 1700's japan and is about a girl named Fuu and her two unwilling 'bodyguards'. Really good stuff, and very well produced. Give it a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

sorry just watched ever episode of cowboy bebob and god did i love it.just wonder is there anything else from the same writer or is there any like it.thanks

Well Shinichiro Watanabe is more well known as a producer at Sunrise than a Director. Samurai Champloo is another series that he directed, and he was an assistant director on Macross Plus (but Shoji Kawamori was the main drive through that).

And yes, Escaflowne is quite possibly the Best Anime of All Time. Which makes it especially horrifying when you realise that the DVD versions we have over here have terrible mastering quality. (Cowboy Bebop hit some low spots in places, but at least it didn't screw up the subtitles).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ex.sara

thx for the nice thread

ex.sara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Great thread.... but even those who didn't think much of the series (love it meself), yhe third last episode I think (Without giving much away: The Ed one) was FANTASTIC. (Just don't watch it drunk...... Bawled!!!!!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Got to see Samurai Champloo the other night.

It defitnally has similarities to Bebop but there is a key difference.

Bebop drew alot of its energy from pacing its stories with its Jazz/blues theme.

In a similar fashion Champloo draws its pace and storytelling from Hip-hop.

Now the question you must ask is...Do you like hip hop?

Cause i dont and it irked me abit cause while the action was good i didnt like how they were telling the story in the two episodes i saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I like it, maybe not quite as good as bebop, but Im not a huge bebop fan either, i like it alot, it's very good, but for me nothing compared to my fav series, like berserk, rahxephon, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

Watched the whole series of Bebop recently and loved every bit of it. Good stuff, slickly presented and with great music. Can't wait to see the movie now!

I'd recommend Samurai Champloo and Full Metal Panic if you like Cowboy Bebop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Full metal panics good for a laugh, infact I quite liked it , but I dont know if Id package it in there with bebop ;)
    actually I just noticed the spelling of the thread is wrong :)
    bebob XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DJTrey313

Cowboy Bebop rocks!! Just had to say that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

One of the few anime's that really makes me smile... smart stuff. Must get my hands on some episodes again

Advertisement