Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Cathal, A Cathal!

Options
  • 09-06-2005 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Who knew a listening comprehension could be so FUNNY?
    So how did it go 4 every1 today? Wasnt that maths paper hard? I thought irish was ok, the listening was a bit hard but the sceal and interview were fine.
    But oh my GOD that comprehension.....heinini was the extent of my understanding...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭emptyspoon

Heh yeah that was pretty funny. The irish writing was grand, cept for that comprehension.
    What was going on with the maths?! Recipricoles? I don't even think thats in the book.
    And all those square roots in Ques 1 (c)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

I no i have never even heard of a reciprocal or whatever its called! There were a good few difficult 1s, but my maths teacher told us that theyl be marked easy cos it was a hard test and that at the conference(conference? i didnt hear about a conference!) all the teachers will argue that it was too hard and so we should get extra marks! But maybe that was just to make us feel better...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

recipricoles...ive never in my life heard of em....I was miming to my maths teacher "question 2" as she walked outta the room at 930...like wtf are these...
    Im sure I done really bad in the maths :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Yeah, they were really laying it on in maths. I didn't know reciprocals was on the test either. Luckily I guessed what they were :D.
    I had no idea how to do the square root things. I'm a bit annoyed cos' now there's a chance I won't get an A (and that can't happen). Thankfully there are 2 papers.

The tape test was quite funny. I did lower level so I don't know about the paper. I only have to go in for C.S.P.E. tomorrow.

I'm a bit annoyed cos' now there's a chance I won't get an A

Im a bit annoyed cos now theres a chance i wont pass :(
    At least u no ur gonna get an honour...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Reciprocal:
    Mathematics. A number related to another in such a way that when multiplied together their product is 1. For example, the reciprocal of 7 is 1/7; the reciprocal of 2/3 is 3/2.
    wooo I got that right!
    All ya do is turn the fraction upside down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

nobody in my class got the reciprical...or whatever...

The tape was so funny!I couldnt stop laughing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Firstly you spelled Cathal wrong, and did anyone else notice the mistakes in the higher level paper? A few words were spelt wrong and I'm pretty sure sure I noticed more.

I wrote 3.5 for the reciprocal.
    I guess at least its only 10 marks!
    I think i ****ed up my graph too tho cos it didnt fit on my page and i had to use half a box for each number on the y axis.
    Thank god for attempt marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

My graph was the funniest thing ever....it was like a pointy mountain :eek:
    For the reciprocal thingy I wrote 3.5/1 as it makes 3.5 just like 7/2 does :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If it's a 10 mark question and you do all the workings but for whatever reason you don't get the correct answer how many marks do you get? 7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Casserine

Maths went dreadful for me. Got really confused and screwed up my graph completely. Instead of a line and a curve I did two curves! What nonsense. Jeez. Hopefully I'll still scrape an honour...

Irish I found alright. Tape was easy (and funny). Comprehension was alright, picture helped a great deal! I used the word Deirtear a few times, and that tense apparently impresses them. Sceal was good, I was chuffed with mine. Only thing that worried me was the Comhra, I didn't understand one of the words. I just guessed it and babbled on. Luckily I guessed right, but I hope I made enough sense...

Now I just have to learn off the poetry/fiction stuff for tomorrow. Does naybody actually study for CSPE?

Nope. I didnt 4 my mocks anyway and i got an A.
    The only thing is that the ministers might come up....

I think I did pretty good in maths. There were a few parts in the part Cs that I couldn't do. Didn't have a *clue* what to do in Q1 part C atall.

I did pretty good in the Irish listening I think. As for the rest... I did patethic. Half a page essay, all over the place (the one about the season you prefer (Summer)). What exactly was the interview on? I didn't understand the question fully, but I just interviewed a past-pupil living in England now (the question said something like 'tir' (country)). The comprehension... What the hell was that about? I answered the first two questions and didn't have a *clue* about the rest so I just left.

I'm gonna have to do pretty well in paper two tomorrow just to ensure that I don't fail (I actually think, if I did fail, it would be pretty funny. I'd find it funny anyhow (seriously. I give no crap about that subject and I have no clue of it. I dunno *how* the hell I managed to stay in honours. I got a B in the mocks, and I have no idea how (I knew one of the essay titles, and learned an appropriate one (just about), but I didn't get many marks for it IIRC. The teachers crap and probably wanted to mark easy for everyone rather than fail everyone. There is a *huge* difference between those who get grinds in my Irish class and those who don't. There might be a few As in the class, but our teacher barely though those students.).).

Paper two's pretty easy anyhow. It's more predictable (learn some poetry themes. Learn some themes for the novel.) anyhow.

I did a grand total of zero minutes study for paper one in Irish, buy for paper two.. That should (better) be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

well i failed my irish tape work...story went grand and my conversation and even the comprehansion. I couldn't really do the last 2 questions on the comprehension but i understood it and got the other questions. I'm worried about paper 2...

Maths went ok, I came out feeling better about it than i did in my mocks. If i get attempt marks in the questions i got wrong i might just scrape an A. That might save me if i go down in paper 2, which i will... :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

lol :p she got pwnt by cathal

As far as i no, the interview was about a student who came to your school from another country....But dont quote me on that im not too great at irish!

Strokesa wrote:
    As far as i no, the interview was about a student who came to your school from another country....But dont quote me on that im not too great at irish!
    Oh jesus, I *better* kick ass tomorrow then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I remember there was another funny tape from the exam papers.. Couple years back, she got pissed off at the guy and hung up on him.

And I found that tape hilariously easy. There were about 2 questions that I didn't get so I just guessed phonetically. Otherwise was grand.

Writing paper was fine too, got the meanings for the story and the comhrá. Well.. I'm hoping. The comhrá was about a messy room, right?

The léamthuiscint was evil. I answered it all but gave some really stupid answers. I'm glad they put in the pictures of the ducks otherwise I would never have guessed...

I was pissed off about the maths. I completely missed functions in school because I was away, so I never learned them properly and then they came up THREE TIMES. Damn that. Other than the stupid functions and my crazy crazy graph (seriously it went from like... 5 to minus 6 in one leap) I think it was okay. The question about expressing it in like... a±b√10 thing, that caught me off guard but I used the quadratic formula and it seemed to end up alright.
    Same with the surds questions. I could barely remember the rules of surds so I had to do some making up and guessing. It looked okay in the end. Got something like 9-8√2...

[edit: And oh yeah, that recipricol thing was great. =D I somehow remembered all the way from when we did it in primary school.]

Ar aon nós, 'tis over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

ye ur right the listening was piss
    but i screwed up my essay a little.
    The comhra went great tho
    comprehension went good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Who, me?

Pass Irish was grand, I got it finished in about 40 minutes. ^__^

Maths was a COMPLETELY different story, though. It was so hard!
    And was it just me (turns out my friend got it, too), or did anyone else get an answer of -197.45 or something for the simultaneous equations part?
    How can you have minus an amount of stamps? And who would be buying 197 of them?? : /

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

About the reciprecol thing.

Wouldn't it be right to say that 7/2 = 3.5 so the reciprecol is 1/3.5 ??

And about the square routes and all i think i got it!
    I got 8-2*square route sign*2

Anyone else get that?

Diarmsquid wrote:
    About the reciprecol thing.

Wouldn't it be right to say that 7/2 = 3.5 so the reciprecol is 1/3.5 ??
    1/3.5 is the reciprecol of 7/2. Well, really the reciprecol is 2/7 but 1/3.5 is just a simplified version of 2/7. I don't thin they coulsd really mark you wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I didnt actually put an interested even in my story, i just told of how my class went to the mountains...I mean if I said I hurt myself or something it's just so common, so I just kinda made it witty...saying stuff about not wanting to go and then by the end I had really enjoyed myself. For my conversation I got pretty damn involved, ended up with a blazing row. The thing about ducks was ok, my friend thought it was about a woman in the river...so he screwed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

1/3.5 is the reciprecol of 7/2. Well, really the reciprecol is 2/7 but 1/3.5 is just a simplified version of 2/7. I don't thin they coulsd really mark you wrong.

How didn't i see that 1/3.5 = 2/7??

OMG!
    And i've been thinkig about that ALL DAY!!!!
    God i'm thick!

Oh no...i didnt get a minus number for the stamps.
    And that was the only 1 i actually thought i got right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I got something like 14 and 36 for that question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Thats what I got! I got the 2/7 question right, according to the math teacher. Did none of you do them in class? Our teacher goes on and on about them.And Mystery, you're in my class! I answered everything in the math paper, but when I left the exam I realised that root 3 by root 3 was three, and they didn't cancel out! That only lost my a mark though.

Irish on the other hand.....I'm just forgetting that it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Holly Golightly

I got something like 14 and 36 for that question...

Me too! Oh thank God lol. My graph was mad though. The g(x) thing turned out as another curve so I just changed my figures to make it into a line.

The Maths was really hard and the Irish was fairly tough - completely bungled the comprehension lol. My comhrá was good and my essay was OK but really boring. "The leaves are brown and orange and red..." :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Ná bac le Colin.

An old woman crying when what sounded like a 20 year old man left was quite funny :)

Advertisement