Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

walshb isn't happy

Options
  • 09-06-2005 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭

Guys or what ever you like to be called. I was recently banned by Ecksor. For what I do not know. He and I happened to have a disagreement regarding whether or not Sonia O'Sullivan should receive funding. He claimed I was going off the point an then banned me. Im my opinion I was not going off he point, all I did was point out that O'Sullivan was over the hill and was not worthy of funding. Was this site not set up so people could could discuss every day things in a peaceful respectable manner, where people could freely disagree with one another without the threat of Censorship. Just because I happen to disagree with anoher poster, or just because I bring a point of view to the board that questions the thread, I'm banned. How ridiculous is that and who gives you guys the right to so freely ban anyone that you happen not to agree with. I can't see many people lasting here if that's the attitude of the administrators. I for one will not, but I will not let the matter rest. I can understand to a certain degree that nobody wants vulgarity or racism on their site, but we as adults have the right to say and view what we want. That is our privilege as a democratic society and just because one or two people happen not to like an opinion, shouldn't give them the right to ban that person or opinion. My god, you are no different than the film censors who banned films in Eire for yrs to the adult population, just because they found something offensive. I'm all for standards in society, but once you become an adult, you should have the right to view whatever you like......or express any opinion you like without the fear of being banned or ridiculed
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Split off and edited thread title (this isn't relevant to the workings of the Feedback forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Never mind, problem at my end ;)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

walshb wrote:
    but we as adults have the right to say and view what we want. That is our privilege as a democratic society and just because one or two people happen not to like an opinion, shouldn't give them the right to ban that person or opinion.

The only rights you have on Boards are the ones the admins are willing to grant you.

You do not have the right to say and view what you want on Boards.ie.

You might think it sucks...but Boards.ie is run by the admins and what they decree is law.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ruggiebear, that's sad is it not???, I take it that you think it sucks. Right then I'm off....I may post agin soon, but really, what's the point when that's is what you are up against

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i'm afraid that sometimes it can seem a little unfair but then again the admins (and most mods) put in a lot of free time and effort to provide this service to you for nothing.

It's not perfect but it's free and in general fair.

• Advertisement

Before you go, let me repeat a couple of things.

I didn't directly discuss anything you said about Sonia O'Sullivan because it had nothing to do with athlete funding. All I did was warn you (more than once) not to troll and point out that your arguments made no sense before eventually warning you to stay on topic. You specifically said
    walshb wrote:
    I don't care whether or not Sonia is receivng money.

which makes your attempt now to pass it off as being on-topic now to the discussion of funding a little bit suspect.

You might think we're disrupting your freedom of speech, but exactly what have we taken away from you? Your privilege to post on a forum here? Who gave you that opportunity to begin with?

Freedom of speech doesn't apply here. Your arguments were nonsense, off-topic and your attempts to say "Oh, but discussions go off in all sorts of directions" is also irrelevant since you completely ignored other poster's attempts to develop the topic which you introduced. These forums are moderated to keep noise like you to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

walshb wrote:
    Ruggiebear, that's sad is it not???, I take it that you think it sucks. Right then I'm off....I may post agin soon, but really, what's the point when that's is what you are up against
    Not really, it's the way it has to be.

If the admins didn't lay down law (and we didn't enforce it), then there'd be anarchy. And anarchy doesn't work. In all free and reasoned speech, there has to be a certain amount of censorship and control. Sounds paradoxical, but that's the way it is. The key is finding the balance. Since boards.ie has over 2 millions posts, and is growing bigger by the day, it would hard to argue that they haven't struck that balance here.

For the record, I haven't read the original thread nor the thread where you were banned - I'm just making general observations on your points.

Seamus, of course there has to be certain standards and censorship, but for adults, anything goes, once It's within the law. Anyway that I suppose is a totally different topic. Ecksor, yes I said I didn't care whether she received funding or not. In the heat of debate a lot of people will say a lot of different things, but to ban them...is out of order. If you were to ban every poster for every time you presumed they were 'going' off the topic, you'd never get a minutes peace. The bottom line was that I thought that Sonia was not worthy and I was putting up different angles to argue my point, like the whole 'interview' thing and her looking ancient...that's what debating is to me, being able to make a case for anything you believe in. I have to say that this type of behavior has never happened in any other forums I've been on and I think you should maybe reconsider and loosen up. I'm not saying you should have no rules or poilicies. But to be so strict and sensitive and to ban someone at the 'drop of a hat'.....Was what I said really a form of anarchy, was it offensive or degrading and was it really off the TOPIC. I don't think so

"drop of a hat" ?

I warned you at least twice in the last week about your style of posting.

Ecksor, what do you mean. Are you telling me that that phrase is offensive to you???. Be reasonable.....we're adults here, so let's treat each other as such...

• Advertisement

I'm saying it's inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

walshb wrote:
    Seamus, of course there has to be certain standards and censorship, but for adults, anything goes, once It's within the law.
    It looks like you've completely missed the point. The admins own this site. It may sometimes appear like this site is akin to a public square where people have the vague right, within legal standards, to do and say whatever the hell they like but it's more like a private living room where the rules are set by the guy who owns the private living room and access is restricted by the guy who owns the private living room. "Anything goes, once It's within the law" could well be the rule set in your own private living room which would be distinct from this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

walshb wrote:
    adults

You keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Firstly, this site is not limited to adults, so your insistence that we're all adults here is patently false.

Secondly, regardless of whether or not it is limited to adults, there isn't a single forum of expression - television, newspaper, public debate, soap-box on street-corner, and so on and so forth - that does not have restrictions on what is and is not appropriate and acceptable.

Your gripe appears to be that you :

a) Didn't learn where the limits are, and are objecting that your ignorance of the rules somehow makes you the victim
    or
    b) Don't believe the rules should apply to you and/or to others.

To be perfectly frank...if its anything like either of those options, you're in the wrong. If you want control over the rules...run your own site for public access, rather than complaining how others do the same.

Then again, your tone in this thread vs. the tone that got you banned from the other forum....that alone would suggest that even when writing what became the first post in this thread, you knew exactly what lines you had stepped over, despite your protestations of having done nothing, or not knowing why you had been banned.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

walshb wrote:
    I have to say that this type of behavior has never happened in any other forums I've been on and I think you should maybe reconsider and loosen up. I'm not saying you should have no rules or poilicies. But to be so strict and sensitive and to ban someone at the 'drop of a hat'.....Was what I said really a form of anarchy, was it offensive or degrading and was it really off the TOPIC. I don't think so
    em yeah 'other fourms' , most forums on the web are under-moderated and are just anarchy, ye do what ye like. And personally i think they are just plain crap. There is a reason we all post on here, and have done so for years, the Admins/Mods enforce a decent level of order. You were warned, if you had issue with the warning you should have taken it up then, not repeated the offence several times over to get yourself banned.
    (If a Garda warned you over something and u didn't agree, would you ignore him and just do it again till he threw you in jail?)

It might be totalitarian, but it works.(i've yet to see a decent BB system that wasn't, same goes for most other things on the internet. Anonimity leads to muppetry, which must be curbed)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

In conclusion, your not obliged to stay here walsh. Its up to you to make your mind if you like the place, if not, oh well, no harm done

Bunch of bloody sissies the lot of yee.......

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

lol... no really... lol

Anyone else see a pattern in these kinds of complaints:

"I'm innocent and hurt"
    "Er, you were being a muppet, we warned you but it seems you didnt want to listen"
    "What about my rights"
    "They dont apply, besides, you were being a muppet"
    "**** YOU , **** YOU ALL, I'LL CRUSH YOU AND SKULL **** YOU!!!!AHAHA MUHAHAH I AM DARKNESS AVENGED, I AM INVINCIBanned....."
    "Chalk up another one."

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

bonkey, I love you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

bonkey wrote:
    You keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means

:D

What have I done now?
    I'm scared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

yet another user that gets a ban and starts to moan and bitch about. Jaysus man, get over it. You were in the wrong, went against the rules of the forum to which you posted, where warned for your silly pointless comments, and then got banned.

You say say your an adult, right? Then act like a bleedin' adult, and accept the ban like a try adult. I assume the ban was only for a week or so, no big deal. Posting complaints about the mod, and admins does not exactly help your case of geting unbanned, in fact it is more likely to increase the ban period.

Are you from Tenessee???

DeVore wrote:
    I AM INVINCIBanned....."
    "Chalk up another one."

Apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The first matrix I designed was quite naturally perfect, it was a work of art, flawless, sublime. A triumph equaled only by its monumental failure. The inevitability of its doom is as apparent to me now as a consequence of the imperfection inherent in every human being, thus I redesigned it based on your history to more accurately reflect the varying grotesqueries of your nature. However, I was again frustrated by failure. I have since come to understand that the answer eluded me because it required a lesser mind, or perhaps a mind less bound by the parameters of perfection. Thus, the answer was stumbled upon by another, an intuitive program, initially created to investigate certain aspects of the human psyche. If I am the father of the matrix, she would undoubtedly be its mother.
    Boards is somewhat similar.....

Advertisement