Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are software firewalls adequate for BB

• 09-06-2005 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hope this is the right place for this thread (apologies if its not).

For the past 3 years I've had ISDN and found that ZoneAlarm was sufficient protection from the big bad world. I had a subscription to Norton Personal Firewall but found that ZAlarm offered better protection (when running a suite of security tests).

Now that I'm moving to broadband, am I mad not to invest in a hardware firewall ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

fisab wrote:
    Hope this is the right place for this thread (apologies if its not).

For the past 3 years I've had ISDN and found that ZoneAlarm was sufficient protection from the big bad world. I had a subscription to Norton Personal Firewall but found that ZAlarm offered better protection (when running a suite of security tests).

Now that I'm moving to broadband, am I mad not to invest in a hardware firewall ?

A good software firewall (configured properly) along with spy remover software is all you need. By good I mean not Zone Alarm! I use "Kerio personal firewall" (get it on bt) and "spybot - Search & Destroy".

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

Iv had BB for over 3 years and only ever used a software based firewall and sofar iv been fine...

I used Zonealarm for awhile but then went to Sygate Firewall pro and i like it alot, you will also need to keep your anti-virus and some mallware/addware software up2date aswell..

I like Spybot Search & Destroy & Ad-Aware

I also went from IE to Firefox a few months ago and its a much better browser then IE also safer if u believe all the reports...

Just my 2 $.......

Misty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Gegerty wrote:
    A good software firewall (configured properly) along with spy remover software is all you need. By good I mean not Zone Alarm! I use "Kerio personal firewall" (get it on bt) and "spybot - Search & Destroy".
    Surely the best place to get a free firewall would be off the creators website, wouldn't it? You'd be guaranteed to get the latest version.

Go to www.kerio.com to get kerio personal firewall, not bittorrent.
    I also went from IE to Firefox a few months ago and its a much better browser then IE also safer if u believe all the reports...
    Browse the internet with IE for one week, then run Spybot. Then browse the internet with Firefox for a week, and use spybot again. You'll notice a difference :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

What broadband are you on? If you're on Eircom/Esat/UTV wired then you'll have a NAT router which will offer you quite a bit of protection anyway (for the average home user anyway). Nobody can get to your machine through NAT unless you forward ports through it. I don't think there's a huge necessity for a software firewall at all tbh. Now if you're on IBB or something similar where your PC gets the public IP you definitely need something strong...

Advertisement