Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GHD Emergency!

• 09-06-2005 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

Little sparks have started to come out of my GHD whenever I turn it on, and it won't work unless I hold the cord at a certain angle (very hard to do, need three hands!) Anyone know somewhere that would fix it? I have it almost two years so the guarantee is up, so I was hoping that some electrics shop would be able to do it. I've had ridicululously big hair for quite a few days now so I need to get it fixed!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

m...that sounds dangerous...you could alway ring up the manufacturers and se if they have a repair shop or can reccomend 1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

stargal wrote:
    Little sparks have started to come out of my GHD whenever I turn it on, and it won't work unless I hold the cord at a certain angle (very hard to do, need three hands!) Anyone know somewhere that would fix it? I have it almost two years so the guarantee is up, so I was hoping that some electrics shop would be able to do it. I've had ridicululously big hair for quite a few days now so I need to get it fixed!!

Not much you can do there other than throw it in the bin. These things have a life span particularly if you use them every day. I wouldn't go forking out for a new GHD though, these days there are countless copies on the market, apparently Remington do an identical one (I've heard it's just as good, never tried it myself) that was going for about €30 in boots there recently and I've seen similar cheap in a Crowleys chemist too. Bin the other one though, could be dangerous; sparks and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 disco_bear

Might be worth getting in contact with them - I remember reading about GHDs and how the company were replacing a lot of them because of the power cords causing sparks.

If you look at the new ones and compare it with the originals, I think the power cord where it attaches to the GHD itself is different. I certainly wouldn't put it near my hair though - not with sparks coming out of it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

get thee to a shop and buy thee a new one! sevice fee's would be about 70 euro. you could buy a new one with that money!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Yeah, the first time the sparks came out I said I'd never use it again, but have been giving in to the dark side once or twice a week now at this stage, so it's a bit dodge.

Think they cost about €150 as far as I remember, so €70 to get it fixed would be a bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

They're a bit of a disgracefor the money you pay for them. Mine started to feck up on me a month after the guarentee was up. No sparks, but I have to hold the chord a certain way for it to work. <snip>

They aren't much of a big deal anymore as there are so much more on the market now. Just go to Argos or Terry Sales on Abbey Street for a new one.

Sparks flying out of it and you're still using it?? Not a good idea. You'll have no hair left to straighten!! Or you could end up dead!!!! Sure wavy hair is all in now. I hardly ever straighten my hair these days!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭giggles

This happened to me as well.

It happened because you probably (like I) wrap the cord around the straighteners when you're not using them. GHD recommend that you do not do this. Throw them in the bin & get yourself new cheaper ones.. There's now lot of excellent GHD-like straigheners available at good prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

There was a fault with the older versions of the GHD, if your one doesn't haven the swivel cord at the bottom (the cord base rotates) then Peter Marks said that they'd replace them to anyone who brought theirs in. My friend's GHD caught fire when she was using it-brought it back and they replaced it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i seen one in a hair dressers 70 euro! she used it on my hair(not that it needed it but meh!) my hair looked good!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭MazStar

Mine is on the blink aswell. I went to Peter Marks but they were no help because its out of its years guarantee. I went to the GHD website http://www.ghdhair.com/ and filled a contact form. They mailed me back and said i have to send it back to England. Havent done so yet, but i will cos im lost without it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nhore

hi i got mine fixed by a fella that i found on adverts.ie i posted it to him and he fixed it and returned in to me within 2 days. he lives in monkstown in dublin and charges €20. i have his details if you like....its better that buying a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

I would imagine she either has a new one or has gotten it fixed by now....it was posted in 2005 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nhore

its for the general public!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

nhore it's very kind of you to sign up here and tell people who will fix their GHD and not only in one thread but three. Heart of gold, heart of gold...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

nhore wrote: »
    its for the general public!!!

Sorrrrrryyyyy i thought you were replying to the op, not advertising for somebody :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 minnie1234

Hey, can anyone recommend somewhere to get my GHD fixed in the Dublin area? I bought a cheaper version at the wkend & it's rubbish... Would love to get it fixed as it's another month until Santy comes :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

Mastercare in Killester across the road from supervalue do straightener repairsbiggrin.gif
    Even casings :)
    only for ghds though.

Advertisement