Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy on PS3?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Light a candle every hour and keep chanting that and you might get what you please.

But it definately will not be as good as the origional , I think its safe to say. (thats my opinion)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The thing I would really want if square did remake this game is a decent translation. Took two play throughs until I understood everything fully and even then the ending was a bit abstract (although they better not change the ending).

Small things like more house to buy would be nice - I loved that house you could buy in the costa - I lived out of it most of the time.

Also I think , changing weapons and characters in battle would be welcomed but it think that goes without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

i think citizen_erased is right, do you really trust them to remake the game without fecking about with it?

a few changes might be nice ie. ones that dont affect the story or anything else in a major way, like changing weapons in battle and a proper translation those would be perfectly acceptable, maybe a few little cosmetic changes here and there

we better hope that IF they reamke it it doesnt descend to the level of utter tripe that was X-2 although it would take new levels of incompetence to mess it up

If they are going to make it they should take a leaf out of counter strikes book -
    cs : source is just perfect , they didnt change any weapons , levels , people etc
    they only replicated the origional on an updated platform. That whats needed

In my opinion though they will make it , because to show their fans a preview like the ones given then forget about it would just be sick , really.

• Advertisement

dont want to turn this into an anti source discussion but source was greatly change from 1.6, head over to the counter strike forum for example

alot of things were changed, weapon recoil, model lag, maps foustered with, generally not much from the positive point of view, the game should be still in the beta stage....

although i play it the gameplay in 1.6 was alot better

id say a source approach would be EXACTLY what you were speaking against earlier on, messing with what was right

Yes , I know things like that where changed in the game , but them things came with the new engine , y'know.

So I suppose it could also be an arguement as to how remakes can present problems. But then again it all comes down to a matter of preferneces in the end.

I think the old saying "if it aint broke dont fix it" applies to this possible FFVII remake

I know it would be an achievement to ruin it but they dont have to try very hard to take away from the experience, if its made i dont really trust them to keep it the was it was making very little if any changes

I dont think theres any people here that want a changed game, some changes are acceptable as outlined earlier but i think its the general consensus that a remake should keep as strictly as possible to the original and not take a counter strike source approach where more than just cosmetic things were changed

remember the trailer? cloud was blinged up a bit, maybe a little camper than before but that doesnt affect the game in a direct fashion

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i think with source the word "remake" is played on.

i hope they don't "remake" ff7 like valve did with cs.

remaking doesn't involve changing maps, recoil, models etc.

But it can affect how you feel towards them and there for alter your experience of the story. No one apparently could fell much for Tidus because he looked like a girley-girl

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

However a game like FFVII wouldn't be affected as much as a fiercely competitve multiplayer game by a few little changes.

i'd be worried about a remake. If you want an example of the incompetency in Square at the moment then play Front Mission 4. They murdered and raped that series with that game.

Cremo wrote:

Valve had very little say in that , I believe , but that them changes had to happen because thats the way the HL2 engine is.

Cremo wrote:

I mentioned that earlier, they probably thought it was a good idea when they were doing it and i feel that square could fall into a similar trap

plus changing maps had nothing to do with the game engine and that was directly valve

All the main maps appear to have only got visual makovers , is it not?
    I dont know , but anyway thats not for here.

In relation to Final Fantasy , A remake would off course mean that areas would be changed - obviously stuff would be lost in translation between 2d background and a new 3d system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HomesickAlien

A remake would off course mean that areas would be changed

tell me you meant to do that...

All the main maps appear to have only got visual makovers , is it not?
    I dont know , but anyway thats not for here.

In relation to Final Fantasy , A remake would off course mean that areas would be changed - obviously stuff would be lost in translation between 2d background and a new 3d system

New routes have been added and doors swirched and boxes and a plethra of other things but like you said its not the place to discuss it.

Changing from 2D to 3D you say? I cant think of too many ways that could change things, its only really cosmetic changes and a most of the areas would stay the same surely? off the top of my head i cant think of many places that would change should it become 3 dimensional

Most of the game is in a fairly 3D setup

Do you understand how FFVII works? On interiors not the world map ,The characters and things like chests etc.. are 3d. The background then is 2d and is just a picture. The alpha channel of this picture then makes bits of character appear or dissappear giving the illusion that it is behind whatever. That is why the camera angle cannot be moved etc.. Therefore you only see the area from one angle , so the remaing angles would have to be made from scratch.

god i wasnt thinking at all when i wrote that,

backgrounds would of course have to be remade, however that still remains a visual upgrade which ultimately deosnt affect story and wont affect gameplay too much

As I said (from the videos) before I believe alot of places atmosphere appears to have been lost in the third dimension. It is easier to convey these kinda of thing in a picture than n a fully living breathing world

Thats not really something ive thought about too much, although the 3D atmosphere was good enough in FFX and FFIX although theres no direct comparison to make them to

Not to be picky but could you give a few examples?

• Advertisement

Well , you can imagine that town , excuse me for not knowing the name of , the one you first go to after midgar. In it you can only see the south facing buildings fronts. For 3d the houses facing the top of the screen would have to be made . And then unless you wante a load of brick walls for doors then interiors would also have to be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Has there ever been a remake of a game before this?
    I cannot think of one except thinking that Mario 64 is a remake of Mario, Sonic CD was a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog, etc. Apart from franchises, i do not think anything like this has been done before! Now i know in this Hollywood world of crap remakes we automatically think that they will ruin this glorious game but maybe this would be a good thing.

I am playing through it right now and am wondering what the newer world would look like. What the world map would be in all its glory! To the people who are saying that this game should not be changed... some of the dialogue in the game is really terrible! I mean, half the time it is hard to make out what people are talking about. The Japenese translation is so rough in parts that even the storyline is a little unclear.

e.g
    It was my second play around that i realised what was going on with the actual Sephiroth in the north crater and the projected Sephiroth that was walking around.

And the sidequests are bad in places. The snowboarding, bike chase scenes could be improved as too could the literally hundreds of annoying minigames.

e.g
    Would you not want these to be changed... How many times did it take you to have Mr. Dolphin jump you onto the bar? Or when climbing to the Shinra building in the beginning, the swinging rope? The guards at the pillars in the Shinra Building? They were frustrating IMO.

Now, this is at least my 7th time around playing this game and do not take this criticism as meaning that i do not like this game. I do not need ot even open the guide anymore when playing it as i know it that well! But what have we to lose? Final Fantasy has not been what is should be the last few games. Maybe it needs this...

- OY

It does sound like a fairly massive task to revamp the game in full 3D, maybe they wont bother

Kalm was the name of the town i believe, and thats merely one small town compared to the likes of Junon

At least thats all theyd be re-doing if it was remade, theyre not just starting from scratch

Its a big job alright and alot of corners would probably be cut. And also I couldnt agree more about the mini games , OY. Most of them are exceedingly random in how they are won .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

This would indeed be something I'd like to see, Probably the only negative thing about FFVII was the dodgy graphics in field mode, but thats hardly their fault.

However like someone said before, It would be a huge task to undertake and the possibility of people getting lazy and cutting corners is a risk, also with a remake there is the chance of changing things, I'd like to see FFVII with spanky looking graphics and so forth, But I wouldn't like to see anything really changed too much.

As far as I know, even in the original there were certain things left unfinished. They could be fixed alright and one or two things made different with better technology and so on but as long as there aren't too many changes to the original, I'd love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i really wanna see a remake. this looks sweet but it just looks like the advent children thingy tbh. aeris is as hot as i made out through the blurry graphics. i think amazing graphics would really help the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Massive task? Yes. Bigger task than, say, making Final Fantasy XIII? No. And I'd say it'd sell a damn sight better than a new FF would, unless they pulled something really special out of the bag which I'm not sure they have the talent to do anymore.

The formula is simple. Don't touch the story. Redo dodgy dialogue and fill in holes and add a sidequest or two, but don't touch the main plot. Aside from that, redo the graphics and the mini-games. Changes to combat are optional. Even if they completely messed up the combat it'd still be a great game, but the combat model is something they've actually gotten better at with more recent Final Fantasy games so I don't think that'll be an issue.

To be honest I think it'd be hard for them to go wrong. They wouldn't be stupid enough to go making major changes to the story. I personally don't see how better graphics could possibly hurt the atmosphere, even FFX standard graphics provided for great atmosphere. And any changes they make to minigames and whatever are just a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

TBH, i think its pointless doing a remake, its grand the way it is.

Id rather see them putting all their energies into FF13 and making it into a FF7-beater!

But the only way to see is to let them try it. You'll never know and what would be worsed that could happen? Square seem as though they are a stable enough company to handle a flop of a game and what your forgetting is that most exetremely loyal fans (and of course newb trying to get a late entry into the series) blindly went out and bought X-2 on the day it came out. Even though 20 mins later they found out what it was the money was Squares. So I recon they would risk it from a financial perspective.

• Advertisement

I dont think they could lose money on this venture tbh, they will get millions most likely, and maybe get a bit of respect back from the fans.

Advertisement