Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple licences for the one firearm?

Options
  • 09-06-2005 5:34pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Might hijack this if Citizen's question has been answered.

Am I right in saying that I can licence a family members firearms? If so which firearms office do you apply to their local one or my local one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

im guessing that your father has licenced a gun and your moving away and want to licence it or something just go to your local and licence it as normal just say its already licenced you can also just get it put down on the licence that your allowed use it i think they just write in at the end of the licence that ...... is allowed to use this firearm

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Rew wrote:
    Good question, but I'll sling it out to a new thread since there might be other people with this query...
    Am I right in saying that I can licence a family members firearms?
    Yes, one firearm can have several licenced users. These new training licences coming out in the CJB rely on this (the parent/guardian has the full licence, the junior has the training licence, which doesn't permit possession, only use).

I may be wrong, but so far as I know, you don't have a "named driver" type of arrangement for firearms licences. Which is why it's technically illegal to let anyone but yourself shoot with your firearm (for competitions or clubs, it's an idea to put your firearm on the club's authorisation; that way others in the club or at the competition can use your firearm legally - handy thing for pistol matches at the moment, for example).

If so which firearms office do you apply to their local one or my local one?
    Always to your local station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

oh well a friend of mine said that his father licenced a .22lr and that he was allowed use it unsupervised because the had his name put down on his fathers licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I'm not saying it can't happen..But.!
    I never came across this type of "multiple" licence.

AFAIK .. All users have to hold an individual licence unless it's owned as a club rifle ..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I always assumed gun lockers were manditory, but I read one of the various links that have been posted and I see some people prefer to concela the firearm as opposed to locak it up. Is it up to the firearms officer how they want them kept?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Regardless of the "Legal" requirements or the lack of with regard to Gun safes..

I think it's common sense to lock them up securely out of reach and out of sight of unwanted "Visitors" ..and potentially ....children .

A gun safe is a fairly cheap investment in safety and is to my way of thinking the only responsible way to store firearms and ammo.

I have two ..

One for the firearms.
    One for the rifle bolts and the ammunition .

Both are "Hilti" bolted to a concrete wall..and concealed from casual view.

It is a subject that some people get very worked up over .. I don't.
    I am fully in favor of secure storage.

I would be as well hence I thought the bit I read was odd. I would have thought they insisted on them as well.

At the moment Rew, they're not legally mandatory unless the superintendent demands them on an individual basis (Dunne v. Donoghue proved that blanket requirements weren't legal if imposed by someone other than the superintendent, but the position regarding individual requirements imposed by a superintendent was left undefined, but with the judge leaning towards regarding it as legal. Read paragraphs 38 and 39 here).

In a few months, that will probably change when the CJB amends section four of the firearms act to make them a blanket precondition.

Ahh right that clears it up. What are the lickly changes that will come with the new amemndments? After reading other threads here I got the impression they may close alot of the loopholes. Will it effect people with pistols or the large semi-autos like the SL8 somebody just got?

That's the $60 million question Rew!

• Advertisement

I see... They would hardly make stuff they have been handing out illegal? Hmmm get em while ya can then I suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

Rew wrote:
    I see... They would hardly make stuff they have been handing out illegal? Hmmm get em while ya can then I suppose...

Dont bet on it , the CJB is an oppertunity for Mc Dowell to get all the gray areas sorted out once and for all . :mad:

Rew wrote:
    I've heard people say that what's out now will remain legal, but frankly, I can't help but think that that's somewhat into the tooth fairy realm of optimism! We've seen it several times already with the current government - you can't fight them into doing what you want even if you have a serious majority of the population behind you, not if they don't want to do what you want them to. Bin charges, radar speedguns, even the Heritage Act, in all cases their agenda has gone through or been shoved through. If they don't want pistols, then the odds are that we will see another TCO. That, or the Minister's amendment allowing him to deem certain classes of firearm unlicensable will get used in short order. :(

Ammoman wrote:
    Dont bet on it , the CJB is an oppertunity for Mc Dowell to get all the gray areas sorted out once and for all . :mad:
    And not the way we want them sorted!

Rew wrote:

Am I right in saying that I can licence a family members firearms? If so which firearms office do you apply to their local one or my local one?

You apply to your local Garda station for a new licence on the Firearm , you will be charged the same fee as the orignal licencee and will need new permissions , exactly as if you were applying for a new firearm , and if you are successful you will be granted a seperate firearms certificate for the Firearm . Then the Firearm is licenced twice and 2 fees are taken for 1 firearm . I have never seen a licence with a second name entered on it and I doubt that the Pulse system would be able to do that anyway .

How much is the fee? Is that on application or granting of a licence?

Rew wrote:
    How much is the fee? Is that on application or granting of a licence?

The Fee is €38 for a rifle and is paid on the granting of the licence

Advertisement