Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(H) maths - can they mark it easier??

Options
  • 09-06-2005 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

since everyone found it so rough, can the actualley mark it easier?
    will they give more for attempt marks?? or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

yeah they alter the marking scheme so they will get the normal averages.

for example im not sure the actual figures but lets say 50% of ppl get C's in hons maths then they will change the scheme to fit that, same would be if it was too easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

well theres a reason they dont have the markin scheme on the paper
    apparently, if everyone has a particular problem with a certain part, the marking scheme is such that there are less marks for that piece

cool or what?
    thank god for attempt marks

fact sher ud nearly pass on attempt aah

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

your man on 806 on 2fm just now said that it was reasonable and prob wouldn't be marked easier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

well he should be beaten brutally with a mallet. It will be. There is uproar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

He's about the only person I've heard say that. EVERYONE was complaining in my school and I was listening to 5-7 live and it seems to be the same story everywhere. They'll have to adjust it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

The papers will speak from themselves...

They will adjust the marking scheme to suit, appropriately.

Maybe people just think they did worse than they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

*Angel* wrote:
    The papers will speak from themselves...

They will adjust the marking scheme to suit, appropriately.

Maybe people just think they did worse than they did.

My trouble is i did terrible on the part b's but got all the cs except 1 right, so if the change it i am ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they adjust the marks every year or so my accounting teacher tells me.

He said that they take around fifty random scripts and make the marking scheme out of that, then the rest are marked according to that standard.

the truth is spoken ^^^

• Advertisement

My trouble is i did terrible on the part b's but got all the cs except 1 right, so if the change it i am ****ed
    Yeah, I was asking my teacher about that, apparently it can happen. But they won't change everything, the Q1 and 2 part c should stand I'd say, and the Q3 part c was tough but fair IMO. Q4 I didn't do so I don't know. Hard to say with Q5. The very last bit of Q6 was ridiculous, that'll have to be changed. 7 and 8 were OK.

Bear in mind that this may be my sense of hope talking (a few of my genius of a teacher's pearls of wisdom are in there though).

all this madness about the maths, i was going for a mid C and i deffo got it, are jee all A students saying now yee only got a B1??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

jacksie wrote:
    all this madness about the maths, i was going for a mid C and i deffo got it, are jee all A students saying now yee only got a B1??

Yes, but that sucks!

jacksie wrote:

I'm saying I got an A1

When you need 570 points a B1 in one of your best subjects is nothing short of a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

*Angel* wrote:
    I'm saying I got an A1

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Murv

Breezer wrote:
    When you need 570 points a B1 in one of your best subjects is nothing short of a disaster
    hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Don't worry too much about it really. If you are good at maths it will still come through. Its a grading curve so even if you got 70% in the paper but are still in the top 10% in teh country then you will still get an A1. The percentage of A1's doesn't vary because they have to pretty much give out a certain number each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

D-Gen is right... you's will do grand, but as for the lad who did better in part c's than b's... you could be in trouble I'm afraid...

Anyway just get up and on with it, gud luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Haedes1987

its based on your class or everyone in your exam centre. The correcter marking the paper will not want to create hassle for him/herself with the exam commisioners so he wont hand up any crazy averages like all A's or all F's. Hell try and bring people up or whatever to make the yearly average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Who's to say Paper II isn't going to be p1$$ easy? Remember folks, each question is actually only worth 8.3% so you can muck up nearly two whole
    questions on paper one, p1$$ home thru paper two and still come out with your A. I need 530 to get my course, i was depending, along with several classmates, on maths for 100pts, but the dream doesnt die because paper one was an obnoxious prick, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

All the grades have to fit into a certain curve. You can find that on page 38 of log tables(the bell-shape). So the bottom line(lol) is that you should never worry coming out of an exam. If you know you're in the top say third standard(A or B)then thats what you'll get nearly all the time. In last years biology, 70% of people failed, so they just raised the grades!

This is kinda off the point but always listen to Bob Marley the night before an exam for a few minutes. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

erm, they don't 'fit the curve' exactly really the number of people at different grades varies from year to year.

What was said above about a group of scripts taken and the marking scheme is made from that is right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Murv

they don't fit exactly into the curve but they want the same amount of passes/a's etc every year. i think its like 94% passes or something... so statiscally... you've a high chance of passing anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

I think there is some form of quota system. I remember last year my Maths teacher showing me, in the summer, his chart of As, Bs, Cs, etc., of the scripts he was marking. He had brought some down from A to B grade, so it does work both ways. Then again, last year's paper was easier than this year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Applied Maths in 2001 had many A students getting C's and most C students failing. They couldn't have the exam with no A students so those that were around 70% correct did get the A. My brother checked his paper and going by the standard marking he would have only had roughly 73% or so but he got an A1 in the end.
    Also think about it, if loads of people fail Honours Maths this year then it will be a deterrent for people to do Honours next year. They are trying to encourage more people to do it so then logic will dictate that they will give out more A's to make it seem easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Rredwell wrote:
    I think there is some form of quota system. I remember last year my Maths teacher showing me, in the summer, his chart of As, Bs, Cs, etc., of the scripts he was marking. He had brought some down from A to B grade, so it does work both ways. Then again, last year's paper was easier than this year's.

Damnit damnit!!! In my class in the mocks 13 people got A1s (damn calculating Germans - a lot of them are!); our teacher even doctored the exam to make it harder than it was so we wouldn't all get complacent!
    My A1 is so gone......unless I do a blinder of a paper 2....
    My A1 is sooo gone....

:)

Advertisement