Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uploading Speed Question

• 09-06-2005 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Folks,hoping someone here can help me (cos Irish Broadband's Tech support can't seem to :rolleyes: ) ive been onto to IBB tonite,ive only had the service a few weeks and the speed is brutal,worse than dial up at times,anyway i done a test( http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/ and the download speed was an incredible 30 kbps and the upload 107 kbps,i kid you not,now im no expert but surely wireless Broadband is considerably a lot lot faster than that.

Anyway the girl in IBB Tech Support told me that my upload speed was very high which is why my download's were so slow and which is why surfing the net was so slow,i asked her how,i use Soulseek for downloading music and LimeWire on occasions but i use Soulseek every nite, hardly anyone seems to download from me,i usually just download from people,so my question is (she was unable to answer this) where the hell are these uploads coming from?How is the upload speed so high if no one is actually uploading from me?Im at a loss to explain this,all i know is that surfing the net is a nightmare slightly better than dial up,downloading music isnt much better,when i was with Esat BT up to last month i wasnt a big fan but my God they were a hell of a lot faster than this lot,id much appreciate it if some of you good people can perhaps give me some answers here as im well p issed off here,ive only just got this service a few weeks ago but if this continues contract or no contract ill go elsewhere and they wont get another cent out of me if as i suspect this seems to be a problem on IBB's behalf.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

She told you that because you were uploading quickly that it was coming off your download speed?

Thats BS, I've gotten 240KB/240KB up/down on occasion when the situation has arrisen :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

yeah just try turn all your p2p programs off and try a speed test, if it comes out better then that was your problem... most p2p programs send the file in sections so without you noticing your uploading something you are downloading ,if you get me? im not verygood at explaining stuff lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

ciaranfo wrote:
    She told you that because you were uploading quickly that it was coming off your download speed?

Thats BS, I've gotten 240KB/240KB up/down on occasion when the situation has arrisen :P

Sorry mate can you eloborate on that?What is BS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

BS is a short internet term for BullSh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

yeah just try turn all your p2p programs off and try a speed test, if it comes out better then that was your problem... most p2p programs send the file in sections so without you noticing your uploading something you are downloading ,if you get me? im not verygood at explaining stuff lol!

Done that, yeah it's come out a lot better,download speed is now 658kbps and upload speed is 229kbps BUT surfing the net isnt much faster,maybe slightly but not much better,i wasnt aware just because you downloaded music it affects you surfing the net,it certainly didnt with Esat BT or UTV before them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

Try blocking alll internet traffic.
    Then only allow your browser to have traffic.
    Then run the test.

It could be that your uploading/downloading in the BG.
    You may have a virus or spyware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

so you are getting about 758Kbit/256KBit service from 1MBit or 2 MBit IBB

Advertisement