Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School-the best years of your life?

Options
  • 09-06-2005 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

Do you believe what most people say that "your school years are the best of your life."

I would have to say it's a pack of piss, I only had one good year in school, I was in fifth year, we did nothing except have a laugh, talk with our english teacher about Kylie Minogue's arse among other things and rip the piss out of our biology and irish teachers, I also got seven weeks off in a row during the year due to illness.

Are school years the best of your life? 28 votes

Yes, I completely agree
    0% 0 votes
    No, that's a load of arse biscuits.
    100% 28 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

in my opinion the best times of your life is summer holidays when your to young to bother with a part time job :D either that or 4th year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Well it's hard to judge isn't it? I've been in school up til now, but I'm thinking college years will be the ones to remember. :D

I've enjoyed the last few years, so they're the best so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

It's been **** for me, but I can see how it would be for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Sorry I screwed up the original post there was supposed to be a poll included, I've fixed it now. Happy voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Best time of your life is probably early 20s when your finished education and starting your first real jobs.

You're young... have money (especially if you have a job you like and worked hard studying for years to get!)....can travel... and finished your education!!!

College is brilliant, only because of the social aspect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

If I remember rightly I enjoyed primary school and I was pretty upset leaving but to be honest I have never really enjoyed secondry although maybe rose-tinted glasses will kick in after a while and Ill start to think I liked it too. But anyway no thought it was pretty sh*t tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

tbh the whole being a teenager thing ruined it for me!! the bad times unfortunately far outweigh the good...although if i was to take out the best year of my life it would definitely be fourth year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭inflight

I never did like school to begin with much but secondary was awful. I can say "was" now yay.. or in 14 days time anyway!! Bad definitely outweighs the enjoyable times. Screw teenage angst, College is the way to go woo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

i agree that they are the best times of ur life!!! just not at the min!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Short answer: Hell no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

theyre the best years so far anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I liked 5th year and loved 6th year, the teachers were just so nice and our class got on well and we supported each other very well. I have to say though, this year (1st year in college) has been without a doubt the best year of my life. I'm not studying a subject I don't like (maths), I have more freedom and my class is so much fun. It's hard to tell though cause for other personal reasons this year was so much better so that might be colouring my view of things!! At the minute though I'd love to be back in 6th year!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

How are we able to know this until we are old?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

i hated secondary school until fourth year where we all got to know everybody else in our year aside from just the people in our base classes.
    It ended up in great nights out and everybody generally having a laugh for three years.
    i will really miss it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I really hope not, because I would find that unbelievably depressing. I enjoyed first year and fourth year, but that's pretty much it - the rest was kinda mediocre and my year is crappy (the people)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Well when you leave you just switch one set of problems for another, so i try to enjoy myself whatever the situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

I'd say yes....esp 6th year and 4th year (5th year was a bit pissy)

No other time in your life you are going to be responsibility free - well that's the way I see it anyway, then again who know's what's to come :p

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I joined my current school in TY, and the whole year have been best mates(36 in the whole year) Sure, we're divided into various groups, but we always have the best laughs together. But from an academic point of view, no it sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

yeah they been luckily for me... SO FAR... especially 6th yr as i havnt taken it very seriously... but i definately think the best is yet to come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

School was the tits altogether, I loved it. Savage craic the whole way up from 1st to 6th year (5th year was a bit wirey though). But college is savage altogether and the one time of year that sums up college: RAG week. Galway (NUIG) RAG week was unbelievable this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

see, thats something you're just gonna have to wait and find out for yourself. you are still in your school years, therefore you cant compare them to your post-school years as you haven't had the experience yet. every body will have their own opinions of their school years when they get a little older, as they have lived a bit and can make a comparrisson between school years and latter years then...

in my opinion, most kids dont regard school as being enjoyable... i never did. in my situation, when i was in 2nd year i managed to get a part-time job and was earning some money from it. i wasn't enjoying school at all and had little interest in it. i used to be tired going in because of my job, so i ended up being truant from school constantly... so much so that one time when i was caught in town by my principal and he returned me to the school asking me what class i was supposed to be in, i wasn't sure and just said "mr. fitzpatricks for maths"... when he brought me to the classroom mr. fitzpatrick exclaimed "i've never seen him before". i'd been absent from his class almost 2 terms. i got into quite a bit of trouble both at home and in school as you would imagine. anyway, although i was only going on 14, i kicked up murder at home because i wanted to leave school. i ran away and everything to state my point, and my parents couldn't do much to stop me from leaving, so i did. i had my ****ty job in a chinese restaurant washing dishes etc., and hadn't even attained the level of the junior cert. so while all my friends were still in school, i spent my should be school years slaving away for crap enough pay. i lost touch with the vast majority of my friends due to the fact that i didn't get to see them anymore. my adolescent and teenage years were very lonely. surely school would've been better than that! i always regret leaving at such an early age but the real shock came for me when all my friends graduated and were heading off to college to become doctors, dentists, solicitors, nurses, architects, etc. etc., and although i had progressed a bit in the catering business (trade chef, so i had no papers or credentials if i had to find a new job, therefore i'd almost always start a new job on the bottom rung of the ladder), i thought that i had passed up my chance of ever doing anything that i might enjoy. i didn't like cheffing. the shock i got forced me to make some decisions about my future.

while still working, i decided that i would teach myself the entire leaving cert cirriculum in the subjects math, english, chem, phys, bio and HE Sc.+S. i studied hard, and sat the exams as an external candidate (if anyone needs advice on how to do this just let me know). i managed to get 520 points in the LC, on my own initiative. i continued to work but also started a college course for a degree in psychology, which i attained in 2001. not really what i wanted to do but the course was offered to me when i applied, so i did it. i was still working full time anyway. i eventually finished my career in the catering business and went to do a degree in toxicology. now i'm considering moving into the field of medicine and becoming a doctor. now had i have stayed in school, i'd probably already be a doctor, who knows.

so, in my case, i cant really say if school years were the best because i was never really there, but let me tell you... if you ended up with no education, little prospects of getting a decent job, and probably spend a good part of your life on unemployment payments (worse case scenario, i know, but a possibility nonetheless), you will certainly look back at your school years as the best in your life.

i'm aware that school years can be a terrible time for some people at the hands of bullies or a whole host of other adverse conditions, but if these are not a problem for you, then maybe you should look at school with a lighter note. also remember that most of your lifelong friends will be people you went to school with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Bravo derek27. You've earned my respect.

Great post - great story - wish you the best of luck in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Every last one of my teachers has told me that school is horrific, and that life is actually worth living after school, not before.

Or something to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 CoffeeFreak

I hope they're not the best years of my life...

Advertisement