Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Stories

• 09-06-2005 9:50pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Arsenal sign Imps starlet Hobbs
    Arsenal have signed teenager Jack Hobbs from League Two side Lincoln City, according to reports.

The Gunners have beaten Manchester United in the race to land the 16-year-old central defender.

Highbury chief executive David Dein is set to authorise a six-figure payment for the Imps star.

Hobbs joined Lincoln in 1997 as a nine-year-old in their academy and has progressed through the youth ranks to earn a first team squad spot this year.
    The first of Wenger's big summer signings...

This one is more interesting though:
    Gunners 'close to £8m Hleb deal'

Arsenal are in talks to buy Belarus winger Alexander Hleb from Bundesliga side Stuttgart, according to reports.

The 24-year-old right-winger would cost the Gunners about £8m - £3m below Stuttgart's original £11m asking price.

Hleb, who played in his country's 0-0 draw with Scotland on 8 June, joined Stuttgart in 2000 and has three years left on his contract in Germany.

His arrival at Highbury would end Arsenal's interest in Manchester City star Shaun Wright-Phillips.

The only complication in the Hleb deal appears to be the departure of Stuttgart coach Matthias Sammer last week.

Stuttgart have not yet appointed Sammer's replacement and may decide to wait to see if the new boss would rather try to keep Hleb at the club.

If Hleb does join, he will compete with Freddie Ljungberg for a place on Arsenal's right flank.
    This rumour has been floating around for ages, it's obvious Arsenal are going for him now so unless a spanner gets stuck in the works somewhere it looks like he'll sign. £8m seems a good deal, by all accounts he seems a very highly rated player who can play anywhere across the midfield.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

odds of SWP to liverpool have increased greatly now aswell no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

SWP while good is gona cost way too much.
    SWP for 20 mill?

Compared to Joaquin or Vicente or Torres for 20mill.

i dont know about 20 mil, i know liverpool made a 10mil offer. I think we could get him for12-15. Man city are in serious debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Benitez with Valenica prefered working right and left side players with a free playmaker centrally as the flair.

Dunno if he would take a 20 mil chance that SWP would do as well going backwards as forwards.

That Hleb lad looks decent enough Arsenal type player goes both ways equally well and decent passer. Doubt it be compo for freddie think he be on his way.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Hleb looks a decent player, but no way is he worth £8m. I saw bits and pieces of the Belarus - Scotland match at half-time in the Ireland match. Alexander Hleb seemed to be playing something similar to the Bergkamp role, whereas his brother was brought on in the second half to play wide-right. (He looked a tidy player too.) Still, I wouldn't say he's really any better than Freddie by the looks of things, and we only paid £3m for him.

I was much more interested in the 'Torres To Arsenal' story - now that would be a really great signing, although its hard to imagine out-bidding Chelsea, and since they're on the lookout for a striker you'd expect them to be interested too. With a bit of luck we'll flog that muppet Cole to Juventus and use the money to get someone of the recognised quality of Torres. (Genius story in F365's Mediawatch today about Cole and a Prada suit btw.)

• Advertisement

i hope you arent judging your whole view of hleb on bits and pieces of the belarus scotland match?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Dont know much about that helb guy, im still holding out for Robinho

There will be 2 more bigger signings id say...who they are I have no idea.

If Torres becomes availible, properly availible, the entire world will bid for him, every single top club will try and get him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Hleb looks a decent player who is versatile (a lot like Park) and he is a rare signing for Wenger with Champions League experience which can only be a good thing. I look forward to seeing him Arsenal and there will be more signings, hopefully a striker and a centre back.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Just on the SWP thing, there's no way in hell Ian Wright's son is going to tranfer to any team in the Premiership other than Arsenal

• Advertisement

i hope you arent judging your whole view of hleb on bits and pieces of the belarus scotland match?
    No, I've seen him play a few times for Stuttgart too. Don't get me wrong - he's a good player, but I think £8m is a bit steep.

Tbh I'd go for Hleb because of his experience. SWP hasn't played at the club level yet and remains unproven on that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

looks like the hleb deal is off anyway :mad:

looks like the hleb deal is off anyway :mad:
    What do you mean??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Just on the SWP thing, there's no way in hell Ian Wright's son is going to tranfer to any team in the Premiership other than Arsenal

LOL tbh i never even thought of that, thats so true.

kdjac

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Not a transfer story, but I just saw this and the difference in size between Ashburton Grove and Highbury really is quite striking:

emirates09062005_1x.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,914 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

obviously the perspective will do that, but ashburton is looking pretty nice. 50% bigger really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

swp seems to be heading to chelski at the mo :( shame really he'll be warming the bench as cover for duff or robben............

What do you mean??

stuttgart are saying they havent been in talks and have received no bid and dont want to sell him etc etc hopefully its all bull**** in a bid to get arsenal to up the price as i think we need something new on the right wing

Aliadiere in deal talks
    French striker Jeremie Aliadiere is reportedly in talks over a new contract at Arsenal.

Lyon ace unsettled
    Mahamadou Diarra is still being tipped to leave Lyon over the summer.

Guti fancies Arsenal move
    Arsenal are rumoured to be ready to enter into talks for Real Madrid midfielder Guti.

Prem duo eye Tomasson
    Liverpool and Arsenal have been credited with an interest in Jon Dahl Tomasson.

Valencia eyeing Pires 'coup'
    Robert Pires' failure to agree new terms with Arsenal has alerted Spanish outfit Valencia to his possible availability.

French winger Pires is keen to earn a two-year extension at Arsenal, but The Gunners have only proposed a 12-month deal.
    All from SSN. Aliadiere getting a new contract is the best news of the lot, imo.

• Advertisement

Yes he's looking good in the reserves, very Henry. Guti and Tomasson would be good signings, excellent experience and in the age bracket in which players are in their prime.

ah excellent news with aliadiere since he had pretty much decided to go to PSG earlier in the season

it would be nice to see wenger sign someone in thee Guti age bracket for once although I fully agree with his youth policy there are times when we need to see an instant improvement to the team and Guti might just add that in our midfield

anyway a long summer ahead i expect one big signing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

What is the deal with Edu I've heard nothing has he actually signed for anyone yet?

He's signed for Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok its all talk at the mo and the rumours about our transfers will persist

Think Bobby may go if we get Hleb
    Would like to see Owen play up front...even though I never forgive him for muggin us
    RVP is innoncent but will need time to get back into things
    Like to see Aliadiere get more games if he can stay injury free
    Also I would Love it if we would sign Given

Ok thats my piece I am off to bed

I was reading a tabloid today (I know, I know) and it says the Hleb deal is done for 7million pounds and with quotes from Wenger saying the deal is done and he'll be unveiled next week.

Helb deal looks done just dotting the i's and crossing the t's

also aliadiere signed a new contract but will he go on Loan ?

all depends on the outcome of RVP

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has vowed to bring in two world-class players to win back the Premiership title.
    The Gunners finished 12 points behind Chelsea last season but Wenger, who has been linked with Brazilian star Robinho, says that they will be back.

"I will win back our place at the top of that table by putting into action plans I have been working on," he told the News of the World newspaper.

"It includes recruiting two world-class players to make us stronger."

Wenger is expected to bring in Stuttgart midfielder Aleksander Hleb, while reports suggest that the Gunners boss has put in a £14m bid for Santos striker Robinho.

The 21-year-old has been courted by Spanish giants Real Madrid but the player's agent Juan Figer claims that Arsenal have now jumped to the front of the queue for the talented forward.

Wenger suggested that the players coming in may be dependent on any exits from Highbury.

But the Frenchman insisted that Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira and Robert Pires are going nowhere.

"There have been rumours about Thierry Henry and Barcelona," he added. "Of course I know about them but they're all just talk.

"They are rumours and they are unfounded and he isn't going anywhere.

"The same goes for Patrick. He will also stay with us for next season - as will Robert."
    This sounds promising. The money is there, hopefully he uses it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

also aliadiere signed a new contract but will he go on Loan ?

looks like he is off to Celtic for a year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Mossy Monk wrote:
    looks like he is off to Celtic for a year

If he can (finally) manage to stay injury-free, i reckon he could be scorer in the SPL next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Aliadiere will be in Glasgow in the next couple of days to speak to Strachan. Wenger wants him to join Celtic on loan as he doesn't want him going to another premiership team and if he moves to France he might want to stay there. Aliadiere also said he'd like to join Celtic. I've only seen him a few times but he's probably won't be guaranteed a first team place with Zurawski (best Polish player) probably signing this week, we're still favourites to get Bellamy, Sutton is still at the club and Hartson too (but Hartson should leave as he's not a fans favourite).

I'd love Aliadiere to sign anyway. He won't cost too much over the course of the season I hope. The league would toughen him up too.

Stuttgart star Alexander Hleb has agreed to move to Arsenal in a deal that could net the Bundesliga side up to €15 million.

The Belarus international must yet complete a medical and obtain a work permit but is set to become Arsene Wenger's first signing of the summer as he looks to prise the Premiership trophy back from London rivals Chelsea.

After a disappointing league and European campaign Wenger had been keen to add more experience to a midfield that relied heavily on inexperienced talent Francesc Fabregas last year.

The versatile Hleb has made over 130 appearances with Stuttgart in a career spanning five years in Germany, and has emerged as one of Die Bundesliga's most promising talents.

After having an initial offer turned down Wenger has now captured his man and beaten the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Chelsea in concluding his lengthy pursuit of the player.

Wenger voiced his delight at the signing of the 24-year-old, who could rival Freddie Ljungberg for the right-hand side of midfield, and expressed a hope that he could prove a valuable player for The Gunners.

"We are delighted that Alexander Hleb has agreed to join us," Wenger told the club's official website.

"He is a player I have admired for some time now and I know he will provide our squad with great quality.

"Hleb has proved his ability with his performances in the Bundesliga in recent seasons and he definitely has the potential to do very well with Arsenal."

Hleb himself was excited at the prospect of joining the likes of Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp at the FA Cup winners.

"I am very happy to have this fantastic opportunity to join Arsenal. They are a club with a great history and many world class players," said Hleb

Quite a good signing

Think we need a new keeper

When will we sign Given???

Jens not that dependable and Alumina well I will say no more
    only exception v shef utd

Stuart Taylor has gone to Villa but RVP has been released although I would not want to be him when he meets his girlfriend :D

Looks like aliadiere is on his way to the Bhoys good deal for them

eirebhoy wrote:
    Aliadiere will be in Glasgow in the next couple of days to speak to Strachan. Wenger wants him to join Celtic on loan as he doesn't want him going to another premiership team and if he moves to France he might want to stay there. Aliadiere also said he'd like to join Celtic. I've only seen him a few times but he's probably won't be guaranteed a first team place with Zurawski (best Polish player) probably signing this week, we're still favourites to get Bellamy, Sutton is still at the club and Hartson too (but Hartson should leave as he's not a fans favourite).

I'd love Aliadiere to sign anyway. He won't cost too much over the course of the season I hope. The league would toughen him up too.
    He might not be first choice right away but i'd fancy him to break into the team once he got a few games, i rate the lad. He seriously bulked up while he was out injured last season - he's pretty well built now and has looked very sharp and direct whenever he's come on as a sub. I'd be very pleased if he went to Celtic for a year; the SPL may not be the same standard as the PL but it'll be a similar style and certainly better than the reserves, and then there's European football too.

Van Persie has been released and is free to return to England, though he is still a "suspect". I'd be surprised if he goes down now, i don't think they would have released him if there was real substance to the allegations.

Hleb does seem like quite a good signing, I'm a little surprised at the price though, £10m seems a little steep. I'd be interested to find out what are the clauses in the deal that decide whether it reaches £10m. From what i've heard though Hleb can play anywhere across the midfield, a good attacking centre midfielder could give a different dimension to the team if required.

It seems like Arsenal have bid for Robinho which I find pretty surprising, I don't imagine he'll go to Highbury though. Baptista would be a more realistic bet I think, and I reckon he'd do very well in the premiership. Henry and the Beast in attack, that'd be pretty fnckin scary :)

// Oh, and disappointed at Taylor going, but Wenger didn't rate him unfortunately. He was outstanding a few years back, I thought he was going to make the grade. A new keeper is definately needed, not necessarily a first choice though. A young keeper to sit on the bench as understudy to Lehmann would be enough for me. Almunia is a very good shot stopper but he's also a butterfingers and makes crazy decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Aliadiere has agreed to join Celtic, Wenger has agreed to let him go for a year. All that needs sorting now is a fee between the clubs.

"The Champions League was a big factor in choosing Celtic

"Everybody knows the Champions League is the competition everybody wants to play in and it would be good if I could help Celtic make an impact in the competition.

"It would also be great if we ended up playing Arsenal. That would be something special.

"If that was the case, then I'm hoping Arsene Wenger would let me play for Celtic. But I'm sure he would.

"I have already found an agreement with Celtic. Now it is up to the clubs to find an agreement.

"I already know Arsene Wenger agreed. I talked with him and he believes it is a good idea.

"It will allow me to play more often and being in the starting XI.

"I am really attracted by Celtic. Gordon Strachan knows me well, I know he has followed me for some time."

• Advertisement

Sevilla star Julio Baptista has issued a come-and-get-me plea to Premiership clubs eyeing his signature.

The prolific hit-man, who has registered 50 goals in the past two seasons, is reportedly on the summer wish-list of Barcelona and Real Madrid but seems to favour a move to England.

Arsenal and Manchester United are thought to be monitoring Baptista's progress - with the player conceding that he would be keen on either Premiership giant.

Baptista, known as 'The Beast' in Spain, is under contract at Sevilla until 2008 but it is expected his current paymasters may struggle to retain his services for next season.

''I would love to play for a team such as Manchester United or Arsenal,'' said Baptista.

''I have made up my mind that I want to go to England.

''It wouldn't just be a financial decision.

''The league there is the best in the world and my style of play would suit it.

''I don't feel valued at Sevilla.''

He'd be a great player pre-Hleb, but I can't see Wenger buying him after buying a similar player?

Similar? Hleb is a small, skillful right-winger / central midfielder. Baptista is a big, strong centre-forward. My only concern about Arsenal buying him is that I'm not sure our style of play would suit crossing to him, although it would add an extra dimension if it all came together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Its difficult to think of two players who are more different in playing styles?Hleb is a great signing by Wenger, in Germany they call him a "Turbo Dribbler", regularly going past 2 or 3 players at a time. His playing style sits somewhere between Pires and Robben I think....typical Wenger signing :)

Baptista would be unbelievable if we could get him.....Henry + Baptista up front ffs!!

Every time I've seen Baptista I've never gotten the impression he was a striker, I always got the impression he was an incredibly offensive midfielder. That said, I used to get the same impression from Henry so.............. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

yeah apparantly he used to be a big central midfielder but made the move to be comming a striker after being pushed forward more and scoring a few goals. To be honest id love to see him at liverpool, hes one spanish (well brazilian) player that wouldn't get bossed around in the PL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

This thread seems to have been dropped and fragmented into single player threads.

Here are some of my thoughts on Hleb:

I saw some stats on him for a wide range of parameters. He seems to be able to score goals (1 goal every 3 games or so) and has a high assist rate. However, his heading ability is poor, his marking ability is poor, and his tackling ability is poor according to the figures I saw. His "influence rating" on games is low but he is very fit, amongst the fittest, and fast.

He wont be playing in the same mould as Viera, and is an attacking midfielder, but dont Arsenal have enough of that type f player already? He only committed 5 fouls in 23 games (the range covered by the stats I saw, dating from Feb 2005). Viera would do that in most games before the first quarter of the match!

And is he not a bit on the expensive side at eur 15m? I dont know his salary but it surely would have gone up from the ukp 24k a week (just about 1.2m pa) he had in Feb 2005.

He does seem like an Arsenal-type of creative player, but is this what they need right now, and at that price? I think Arsenal could have spent less on him or else spent something similar for a more defensive aware midfielder. Arsenal leaked goals all over the place last year and the defence and goalie are not wholly to blame for that.

Just some thoughts ....

Redspider

Edu is gone, and he needs to be replaced.
    Bergkamp is retiring and he needs to be replaced.
    Van Persie ain't there yet so Arsenal need someone else who can thread balls through a defense without even thinking about it.

Their defense needs to be strengthened but so does their midfield.
    The midfield is strengtheened now, and their defense needs to be fixed with a right back imo, and Wenger will solve this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where's the Viera to Real story? Its not summer without it!

Mike.

Juventus are believed to have stepped up their interest in Arsenal skipper Patrick Vieira.

The Bianconeri have admitted that they would love the opportunity to sign Vieira and are thought to have sounded out Arsenal about the Frenchman.

Juve would like to team Vieira with Emerson and they have asked Arsenal about his possible availability.

Reports in Italy suggest that Juventus are looking a quick answer from Arsenal over Vieira as they are keen to move for another target if they get no encouragement from The Gunners.

Vieira is tied to Arsenal until 2007 and it would seemingly take a huge sum to lure him from the capital to Italy.

Juventus have a limited budget this summer and it has been suggested that the maximum they could offer Arsenal is €20 million - which would be rejected out of hand unless players were also offered in exchange.

Reports have also suggested that Steven Gerrard's decision to stay at Anfield could reignite Real Madrid's interest in Vieira.

The combative Frenchman has been a long-term target for the Primera outfit - but they had switched their attention to Gerrard after failing to land Vieira over the past couple of summers.

However, the likeliest scenario is that Vieira will remain at Highbury to see out his contract having previously spurned several offers from abroad.

there ya go mike :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

if the rumours suggesting that Chelsea are ready to offer juventus £37million for Trezeguet then Juventus may well be able to afford viera.

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    if the rumours suggesting that Chelsea are ready to offer juventus £37million for Trezeguet then Juventus may well be able to afford viera.
    They won't let Trez go. Milan signed Vieri and Crespo has returned to Chelsea which Mourinho wanted so I don't know if they're still looking for a striker. Crespo is awesome.

Reyes has signed a new 6 year deal, while Clichy has signed a 5 year deal.

Arsenal are being linked to Uruguay's highly-rated keeper Viera :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

talk that any deal for jenas might involve Campbell going the opposite direction...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I see Hleb has scored 2 minutes into his debut today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Bizarrely Phillipe Cristanval has joined Arsenal on a trial. He was released by Marseille last month after constant injury problems.

Anthony Stokes played 45 minutes for the first team in a friendly against Barnet yesterday, which is encouraging for Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement