Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Stories

Comments

Bizarrely Phillipe Cristanval has joined Arsenal on a trial. He was released by Marseille last month after constant injury problems.

Anthony Stokes played 45 minutes for the first team in a friendly against Barnet yesterday, which is encouraging for Ireland.

i hear stokes is a very talented player. lot of good things said about him on the 24-7 arsenal forum.

christanval apparently wasnt on any teamsheet yet came on after 5 minutes. may not be a bad bit of business if a deal can be reached

it looks like rigobert songs nephew or is it his brother Alexandre is touted as vieiras replacement at a cool 2.8m. i doubt baptista will go this year anyway as he said himself he is seeking eu work permit papers. they seem to have turned their attention to a bean pole togan international striker Emmanuelle Adabayor with monaco.

apparently a relative of djimi traore looks set to join the youth team and a young gk Vito mannone has signed. didnt see what was wrong with Graham Stack personally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Arsenal already bought that Traore chap. Goes by the name of Armand Traore.
    That song fella is only 17, so I don't think he'll be a direct replacement for Vieira, but another Flamini job. Hopefully we'll get Baptista, i defo think he'll be on his way, but to us or Barca I've yet to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Is Patrick Viera's sale an end of an era at Arsenal?

Well, for me he was a power house of the Arsenal midfield and allowed many of the other players to be more creative, whilst he did the dogged work, making tackles, intercepting, breaking up play. It looks like he had made his mind up to leave for sometime. Where this leaves the likes of Henry, Pires and some of the other players in terms of their mindsets and attitudes remains to be seen, as for me, Viera was a talisman type of player, a part of the backbone of the team. 20m euros is quite a bit of money, but what will Wenger do with it?

And will be see Pires at his best this year, and Henry. I can forsee Arsenal not doing as well next season in comparison to last.

Redspider

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

We havent seen Pires at his best for 3 years imo.

Wenger is trying to rebuild the team but we still need a midfielder in the mould of vieria. Im going to hold judgement until all the transfers have been completed this summer.

The Baptista move seems imminent now but where is the new GK and Vieria's replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I agree we haven't seen Pires at his absolute best for a while, but at the same time he's been banging in the goals just as well and so is obviously vital to the team.

As for adding steel to the midfield queue a shock transfer swoop for Robbie Savage! :eek:

Really though theres enough creativity in that team now that a player of viera's standard isn't quite required, just so long as he is a no nonsense leader and has a reasonably good range of passing so as not to shake Arsenal's classic rhythm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

apparently spurs are in to hijack the baptista deal, according to BBC Sport

thebhoy wrote:
    apparently spurs are in to hijack the baptista deal, according to BBC Sport

seconded
    Source: http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=292573&CPID=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Spurs+in+bid+for+Baptista&channel=football_home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Is Robert Pires also on his way out? I heard on the radio yesterday that he was in talks with somebody.

To me, it looks like Arsenal's ambitions are as previous seasons. ie: do well in the league (Henry can nearly win games against 16 of the 20 teams on his own!), aim to finish in the top 2, maybe win it, maybe pick up a cup, but forget about the CL or Uefa.

Same old, same old ... did Viera have enough?

redspider

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yes, I definately think that Arsenal decide to forget about the CL before the season has even begun :rolleyes:

Arsenal's ambitions are quite obvious: they have a £357m stadium opening in 2006/07. The board don't offer long contracts to aging players which is why Pires is unhappy. They keep finances tight, which is fine because Wenger is superb at picking up terrific players for cheap. This is what has allowed Arsenal to be the most consistent team in England over the last decade while other teams have overspent and run themselves into trouble (eg Leeds).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Baptista is not moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Looks like it still might be on!!
    Dave Dein supposed to be in Spain as of last night (source_)

www.arseblog.com

why does Wenger tatget these guys??

Last year it was the same fiasco with Hatem Trablesi, that signing was on and off for weeks and he even completed a medical b4 pulling out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

moby2101 wrote:

www.arseblog.com

Last year it was the same fiasco with Hatem Trablesi, that signing was on and off for weeks and he even completed a medical b4 pulling out!!

He is not going to move to Arsenal when he is waiting for his spanish passport! mayeb next season! its over Arsenal fans! just hope he doesnt go to Barca so no chance of signing next season!!

moby2101 wrote:

www.arseblog.com

trabelsi wouldnt agree personnal terms but it was Valencias Angulo who wanted home half way through the medical.

I suppose Arsenal or Spurs could convince him that there would be no problem in getting him a work permit if we went to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Roddy23 wrote:
    Arsenal already bought that Traore chap. Goes by the name of Armand Traore.
    That song fella is only 17, so I don't think he'll be a direct replacement for Vieira, but another Flamini job. Hopefully we'll get Baptista, i defo think he'll be on his way, but to us or Barca I've yet to see.
    I'm not 100% sure but I think he's a defender. It's also being reported that they are lining up a bid for Olivier Dacourt as a Vieira replacement.

Edit: About that Traore fella, I saw an interview on Sky with Wenger this morning and he said he was a player that they were 'interested in' so I doubt it is signed, sealed and delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I'm not 100% sure but I think he's a defender. It's also being reported that they are lining up a bid for Olivier Dacourt as a Vieira replacement.

Edit: About that Traore fella, I saw an interview on Sky with Wenger this morning and he said he was a player that they were 'interested in' so I doubt it is signed, sealed and delivered.

Was Dacourt not on the way to Bolton and then Roma where banned for a season from transfer market so he couldnt move? heard this somewhere!

• Advertisement

Roma are only banned from buying players, except those moves that were underway. i think people can still leave though..

They are banned in the transfer markets but can negotiate with players on a Bosman as far as I know.
    It says it Here
    Wenger thinks he can get them to release him for free to get him off the wage-bill.

http://www.football365.com/news/story_157680.shtml

Please let it be!

I think its do or die and its up to Baptista himself if he wants to move

He seems to have stated catagorically that he wants to gain a EU passport by staying in Spain, I don't understnad why this story is still running

Wenger said it's still a possibility, and rates their chances of landing him as 50/50.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    He seems to have stated catagorically that he wants to gain a EU passport by staying in Spain, I don't understnad why this story is still running

Did u read the link??

Yeh, lets look at the quotes relating to a possible transfer.
    "There are various clubs interested in me, but the last word is mine and that is what matters," he added.

"I and my agents will make the decision."
    "We will look at what is best for me, but at the moment this is continuing and on Sunday we (Sevilla) are going to China," he said.

He hasn't said anything indicating that he has changed his mind.
    Its just extrapolation

Well there have been lots of reports stating that Dein and Seville have agreed a fee of around 14 million. Its now up to the beast himself.

5k a year and a get dual citizenship or 40k now and CL football where he gets the chance to impress for a place for the brazilian World Cup squad!

He would be mad to turn it down now!

Yeh, but you have to understand how much a EU citezinship could mean for him.
    First off it would mean he would no longer be a foreign player, so if he ever wanted to return to Spain, which I'm sure as a Brazilian he would want to, he would be a much more attractive target.
    Secondly, he knows he won't get into the World Cup squad as a striker, with Ronaldo and Robinho ahead of him, not to meantion Kaka and Ronaldinho there. So I doubt he is gona to make such a rash decision for a pipe dream.
    That said, he'd be a ****ign amazing signing for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    Secondly, he knows he won't get into the World Cup squad as a striker, with Ronaldo and Robinho ahead of him, not to meantion Kaka and Ronaldinho there. So I doubt he is gona to make such a rash decision for a pipe dream.
    You also forgot Adriano. But Baptista provides a totally different option to them all, bar maybe Adriano (who is also a bit of a beast). I dont see the problem with Brazil taking four strikers. Ronaldinho and Kaka are attacking midfield players.

Baptista made the Confederations Cup squad, I again fail to see how it would be a "rash decision for a pipe dream" to join Arsenal, as it would definitely be an improvement in his chance of making the WC squad, a squad which he is already a part of. You should sometimes do some research before you post.

I did forget Adriano, you're right.

I can't imagine a player of Baptista's character/determination will be happy to play a bit part in the squad.
    I don't think him joining ARsenal is going to help him break into the first team, which will be dominated by Ronaldo and Robinho imo, as Adriano is much like Ronaldo, but not quite as good. Brazil might opt to play 3 up front, but it was be an unusual decision considering the attacking nature of their midfielders.

So joining Arsenal will do nothing towards his WC status.
    He will stay a squad player.
    He will not break into the first team.

PHB wrote:
    I can't imagine a player of Baptista's character/determination will be happy to play a bit part in the squad.
    International football is not like club football where he can just change countries if he is not "happy to play a bit part in the squad". He has no choice.
    PHB wrote:
    So joining Arsenal will do nothing towards his WC status.
    He will stay a squad player.
    He will not break into the first team.
    But you said he would not even make the squad. In fact you said that joining Arsenal would be a "rash decision" for a "pipe dream".

Joining Arsenal will give him considerable exposure that he doesnt have at the minute. He will also play will Gilberto Silva who is a key member of the Brazilian sqaud. Perhaps they will build up a strong relationship, perhaps he will score 40 goals if he joins. Who knows. Either way it is naive to think that a player of such ability has no chance of making the first XI (let alone the squad) when all that is in front of him it the brilliant but sometimes inconsistent and injured Ronaldo, a teenager who doesnt appear to be as good as the hype, and Adriano who has the tendancy to do the amazing but miss the simple.

Ah I see now, I said squad when I meant team and in turn i was misunderstood.

Also its not at all naive.
    International football is more about reputation than skill.
    Ronaldo wil be picked automatically.
    Robinho will be picked cause he'll develop a partnership with Ronaldo.
    Adriano will still have the super hype because he'll still be playing at Inter, and everyone will go, well if he was at Real Madrid he would be even more amazing.

PHB wrote:
    Ah I see now, I said squad when I meant team and in turn i was misunderstood.
    Well it just seems to me like youre backpeddling now. From your original post its pretty clear that you meant squad.
    PHB wrote:
    Also its not at all naive.
    International football is more about reputation than skill.
    Ronaldo wil be picked automatically.
    Robinho will be picked cause he'll develop a partnership with Ronaldo.
    Adriano will still have the super hype because he'll still be playing at Inter, and everyone will go, well if he was at Real Madrid he would be even more amazing.
    It is naive to think that a player who is currently fourth in line has zero chance of playing first team for a side that frequently play with three up front.

Actualy, if you read my post and looked at what it said, instead of jumping down my throat for no particular reason it is.
    That said, he'd be a ****ign amazing signing for Arsenal.

The only way that would make sense of what I'm actually saying is if I meant team.(ha did it again)
    But its ok, don't worry about it.

---
    It is naive to think that a player who is currently fourth in line has zero chance of playing first team for a side that frequently play with three up front.

Why?
    First off, 3 up front was disasterious, and I doubt he'll keep that formation for the actual WC.
    Secondly, its all about reputation. Baptista might be the best of all 4 players, buts its doubtful that he will break through, simply because of hype.
    Its how international football tends to work.
    Also he is not 4th choice, because Kaka and Ronaldinho are also there.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Actualy, if you read my post and looked at what it said, instead of jumping down my throat for no particular reason it is.
    I did, and it seems pretty straight forward to me.
    PHB wrote:
    Why?
    First off, 3 up front was disasterious, and I doubt he'll keep that formation for the actual WC.
    Secondly, its all about reputation. Baptista might be the best of all 4 players, buts its doubtful that he will break through, simply because of hype.
    Its how international football tends to work.
    Also he is not 4th choice, because Kaka and Ronaldinho are also there.
    So you dont think its a bit naive to think that a player in the current Brazilian squad has zero chance of playing in next years WC? Taking injuries, form, managerial/player relations into account? Given that if he moves to Arsenal it will be the biggest step of his career so far? Ok so.

By adding Kaka and Ronaldinho to the equation you are now putting 4 places up for grabs amongst 6 players as opposed to 2 for 4, only making the odds more likely in Baptistas favour. Kaka and Ronaldinho play regardless of whoever plays up front.

Now now boys be nice.

Although i do agree more with Jivin here. Moving to Arsenal will expose him to the highest level of club football in the world, the Champions League.

Its a bit niave to think that he has no chance of making the team what over!

I think if he joined Arsenal he'd be prolific and would maybe even score 15 goals next season, I always felt that it was the one thing that Arsenal were missing for success in Europe, a big strong front man.

That said, I think Reputation counts for more than actual skill in international football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

PHB wrote:
    I think Reputation counts for more than actual skill in international football.
    100% Agree.

Anyway, seems Sol might be on his way. Seems like he ain't best pleased with being told by AW that Senderos + Toure will be Arsenal's first choice centreback partnership. Mind you, this was only reported in the People, so it's probably b*llocks. STORY HERE

Also, Seville are going on their tour of China today, so if Julio Baps goes with them I don't think he's gonna leave the club til after Xmas at least. If he stays at home, he's probably going somewhere... Question is, where?

He was quoted as saying he'd like to move to England sometime and play for "Arsenal or Manchester United." Even though he was linked with United, Arsenal seem to be front-runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

SebtheBum wrote:
    Senderos + Toure will be Arsenal's first choice centreback partnership.

That would be a great partnership, for United and Chelsea. Poor Toure had a nightmare last season.

Senderos looks the real deal though. Id stick Toure right full, drop Lauren and have Sol and Senderos centre half.

That's EXACTLY what I've been saying since we lost at home to Man Ure in February, Draupnir.
    I was just putting forward the (probably rubbish) opinion of The People newspaper.

But yeah, Lauren's form was awful last season, although Toure and Senderos were ok as a partnership I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Anyone else agree Hleb is settling in well at Arsenal? Scored in the friendly today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

He scored on his debut against Barnet too. He seems to defintely be another find in the same mould as Pires. The rumours about Campbell are interesting, especially since Wenger has picked up Philippe Christinaval from Barcelona on a free transfer. It seems to me that Wenger realises he has to freshen the team up a lot over the course of the next couple of years, and is prepared to be ruthless in doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Cristanaval is only on trial after being released by Marseille over the summer. I'd be surprised if Wenger gives him a contract based on what I've seen.

Arsenal's defensive problems over the past few seasons have been that they have only had 2 good central defenders. Senderos makes that three now, which should be enough. Cygan is not a good player but as fourth choice he is adequate. Lauren has his flaws and played very poorly against United but was quite consistent last season, as he was the season before. He has put in some excellent displays against Chelsea in particular.

I'd like to see more of Eboue as the guy looks very good getting forward, I don't know about his defensive abilities though.

kaids wrote:
    Arsenal's defensive problems over the past few seasons have been that they have only had 2 good central defenders. Senderos makes that three now, which should be enough. Cygan is not a good player but as fourth choice he is adequate. Lauren has his flaws and played very poorly against United but was quite consistent last season, as he was the season before. He has put in some excellent displays against Chelsea in particular.
    I agree with all of the above.

The addition (or emmergence) of the third CB, Senderos, also provides the option of moving Toure to RB, where he has played before as far as I know, thus providing cover for Lauren if he has a dip in form/injury.

Agree on Hleb. He seems to have buckets of talent and a good goalscoring touch, whit having played in germany probably has more steel then the likes of Pires and Reyes. Which is something arsenal sometimes lack.

IMO wenger needs a GK but there has been no rumours what so ever, which is concerning in some ways.

Lehman is suspended for 2 CL games as far as I know and after Alumnia being 1) **** 2) injured currently with a broken bone in his hand, Arsenal need a new goalkeeper.

We have to replace Vieria too! Some reason I think that Baptista would play a kinda AM role for Arsenal()if he came of course) leaving Gilberto to sit back deep. I know he is a target man but remember Henry was a winger before hand so Im sure Wenger knows what he is doing with the team. Myabe we will get him and a vieria replacement!?

Come on Wenger get the finger out!!

17 year old Vito Mannone (new signing) will probably deputise in the Champ's League. He is our No. 3 Goalie, AFAIK.

As for Hleb, I seem to remember him tearing apart Utd's midfield a few seasons ago in the Champ's League. My brother and I reckoned he was the man of the match (in both games) and thought he was destined for greatness elsewhere.
    But then we thought the same of Hildebrandt so... We think a lotta things. :)

As for replacing Vieira. Arsenal's best midfield was at the start of the season, and was Cesc and Gilberto, when Paddy was injured. When Paddy came back, we looked unbalance (and he looked lazy) so... Besides, Hleb can be that box-to-box player, or fulfil more of a Pires role, while Baptista (assuming he signs) will be more of a striker IMO. Come on, 50 goals in 2 seasons in the Primera Liga, and you wanna stick him in Midfield??? WTF???

Were Arsenal not linked with a move for Dacourt on a free?

Yeah, apparently Wenger thinks he can convince Roma to release him to get him off the books, as he is one of the highest payed players.

• Advertisement

But Roma are transfer banned?

PHB wrote:
    But Roma are transfer banned?
    They were able to bring in 2 players (I think) who were free agents, so maybe they can deal with bosmans.
    I posted the link to the story where it reported Wenger's interest in Dacourt, I think it's a page back in this thread, might explain things better.

Edit: My mistake, the transfer ban would stop this actually, but Roma are appealing the decision and hopeful of getting it overturned: http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=293102&cpid=21

Hopefully not.
    The transfer ban is setting out a dangerous precedent to clubs to not tap up players and for players not to cancel contracts. It inturn is very important for football, but harsh on a player stuck at a club imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Wenger has denied any interest in Dacourt. He also denied interest in some other player whose name I can't remember.

andyman wrote:
    Wenger has denied any interest in Dacourt. He also denied interest in some other player whose name I can't remember.
    I saw that soon after my post :o The other player he denied interest in was Edgar Davids.

• Advertisement
Advertisement