Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

High Quality Guides

• 09-06-2005 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Not to come across as a trans-forum pimp but I've been on a forum called CloneCD forums (now Digital-Burn Forums) for a few years and I've written some extensive all round video guides, which can all be viewed *Edited*.You don't need to register to see them so just check them out and if you think any of them are usefull - spread the word.

*Edit* Due to the legal implications of the guides on external sites, I've removed the link. It contains detailed guides into copying DVD's. *Edit*

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

One small step to bandom... one... giant leap into pirateer teritory.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Teslacuted

Okay, I understand some forums keep this type of thing down to minimise 'pirates' but you do all know that you are legally entitled to back-up your DVDs? I know the guides could be used for other purposes but I genuinly do backup my discs (ever since a 3yr old thought my movies to be interesting toys) and I'm firmly against the RIAA's attempts to stop use using our rights.

Just wanted to make sure you knew it isn't illegal.

It might help aswell if you ammended the rules for this section, I would have known then not to post the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The act of backing up the DVDs is not what's illegal, it's the fact that people could use this information to perform illegal acts, I mean what's to stop someone renting out a DVD, ripping it using that guide and then returning it? Then they'd have a full copy of the movie.

That's a pretty closed mind-set, what's to stop anyone with a car doing any number of violent and deadly things? Cars remain legal.
    Hell, you can legally own firearms and their intended uses are pretty well known.

My point is that lots of things can be used for reasons they weren't intended for but that doesn't (and shouldn't) mean that you outlaw them entirely.
    Computers can be used for hacking, do you want some government snob taking away your rig?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Teslacuted wrote:
    That's a pretty closed mind-set, what's to stop anyone with a car doing any number of violent and deadly things? Cars remain legal.
    Hell, you can legally own firearms and their intended uses are pretty well known.

My point is that lots of things can be used for reasons they weren't intended for but that doesn't (and shouldn't) mean that you outlaw them entirely.
    Computers can be used for hacking, do you want some government snob taking away your rig?

Specious reasoning. If I buy a load of fertiliser and a pile of sugar, thats fine. If I buy a load of feritiliser and a pile of sugar and download a copy of the terrorist handbook, you have reason to be suspicious, esp if I don't own a farm.

It's legal to own firearms if you want to hunt, or pest control, it's dubious if I guy from the inner city wants a double barrelled shotgun and a hacksaw.

These rules are here to protect the owners of this site, they feel they need to ensure that they're not spreading illegal information, theres not been a case in ireland about it, and seeing as boards.ie is run in the spare time and not for profit, none of the admins really fancys the joys and hassles of being a test case for IMAA or FACT over copyright abuse.

You should respect their wishes or go elsewhere for your discussion

mycroft wrote:
    These rules are here to protect the owners of this site, they feel they need to ensure that they're not spreading illegal information
    Teslacuted wrote:
    Okay, I understand some forums keep this type of thing down to minimise 'pirates' but you do all know that you are legally entitled to back-up your DVDs?

I'm not arguing with your policy on supplying the information, I do understand that a simple no-tolerance policy is the safest way to go.
    mycroft wrote:
    You should respect their wishes or go elsewhere for your discussion

Is there a problem discussing the 'politics' behind decisions like this? I'm not challenging anyone to change anything, simply discussing different people's views on piracy laws etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Teslacuted wrote:
    I'm not arguing with your policy on supplying the information, I do understand that a simple no-tolerance policy is the safest way to go.

Er

A) It's not my policy, do I look like an Admin or a Mod?

And

B)
    Teslacuted wrote:

Would seem like an argument aganist the policy.

And btw, rig? Been reading waaayyy too much Gibson have we?
    Is there a problem discussing the 'politics' behind decisions like this? I'm not challenging anyone to change anything, simply discussing different people's views on piracy laws etc.

No theres not, there is however a forum ]feedback
    for such a discussion, this is not the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Teslacuted wrote:

Yes, you can own a rifle legally. But for the shooting of animals etc. Likewise, you can own a cd/dvd burner to back up your own stuff. However, with a gun, if you shoot some one in the face you're going to get arrested.... like with a dvd burner if you rob dvd's you'll get arrested. Crazy comparsion, but you made it in the first place.

The tool is not illegal, but the ways it's used is. The reason I moderated this, is because it's more likely for people to illegally copy then legally back-up.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

mycroft wrote:
    Er

A) It's not my policy, do I look like an Admin or a Mod?

Good point Mycroft, Teslacuted in the end of the day, I am the mod and if you read the charter, the moderations are my decision.... If you don't like them, well, basically tough.

I don't condone illegal actions, especially on a public site. So, shhhhh.

John

• Advertisement

Okay okay, I'll leave it at this: The only reason I carried on about it was because I disagreed strongly with Achilles' Post
    Achilles wrote:
    The act of backing up the DVDs is not what's illegal, it's the fact that people could use this information to perform illegal acts, I mean what's to stop someone renting out a DVD, ripping it using that guide and then returning it? Then they'd have a full copy of the movie.
    I was simply...suggesting...that if that attitude were applied to the outside world it would make a lot of people very unhappy.

If you, the mods\admins feel that it's more likely your members will use the guides for illegal purposes...well it's your board, but I did stress earlier that it isn't always illegal, as certain companies would like us to believe.
    Lump wrote:
    I don't condone illegal actions, especially on a public site.
    As I said, it can be illegal, but only when people are intentionally 'pirating' copyrighted works.

Advertisement