Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W3C Validation and PHP Based HTML Editting

Options
  • 09-06-2005 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Is there a tool anywhere out there that will convert slighlty messy code into proper HTML.

I used a combination of dreamweaver, fireworks and frontpage to do some sites. And despite the software being of decent origin (barring ms frontpage), it doesnt even add a DOCTYPE to its code. and uses no standard tages.

Is there some software i can download the will convert the non standard tags to standard stuff whilst leaving the appearance of my site unscathed.

Also does anyone know of a free php based server side update tool that can be used to edit pages of a website on the fly (HTML pages). I had a look at Interspire WebEdit but its so expensive. Is there anything like this available cheaper?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Is there a tool anywhere out there that will convert slighlty messy code into proper HTML

Google for HTML Tidy, or better yet - don't use editors that output malformed HTML.
    Also does anyone know of a free php based server side update tool that can be used to edit pages of a website on the fly (HTML pages). I had a look at Interspire WebEdit but its so expensive. Is there anything like this available cheaper?

I make my own - but you should have a look around http://www.htmlarea.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

XinHa is a fork/continuation of the stale HTMLArea project. It's free, and works reasonably well with the supported browsers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

[strike]Looks nice, pity it crashes Firefox.[/strike]

n/m That may have been something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

hostyle wrote:
    [strike]Looks nice, pity it crashes Firefox.[/strike]

n/m That may have been something else.
    Works fine with Firefox. Custom toolbars are a bit of a pain to implement though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Damn, not what I wanted to hear .. I think I'll have a go anyway. Safari support on the way too, which is nice.

Advertisement