Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASUS NF4 vs DFI NF4

Options
  • 10-06-2005 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭

I got a new asus mobo tonight and popped my cpu into it to see if its any good for overclocking and i good some good results i could barely keep my fx55 at 3.ghz in the dfi mobo but with the asus im getting 3.6ghz and i hav'nt even pushed it yet ???i wonder how my SLI will do on it :D am i seeing things i know this is a software overclock but woooww...

multiplier x 14.5......fsb x 1000 ??????
    5unx37

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

But the DFI is pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

What's the difference between a software oc and oc'ing trough bios? Do they not both have the same end result?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Well done dub. I'd better watch out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

graphics isnt half bad either tbh ..heres one card running in single mode ..that a good overclock the card,s default is 370 and 1.0mhz and i got a good push on it nearly 100 mhz above the core's defualt and 1.18 mem isn't to shappy either it will reach 2 mhz memory but with lower core speed ...not sure but the 3dmark05 score of above 6100 for a 6800gt "is this good anybody out there with one will you let me know "?????and thats without the cpu or memory OC'ed :D who knows i might even beat my old single card score ???5v1xcx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

thats a nice mobo, well done man

• Advertisement

That's a good score for one card! I only got 5714 with one of mine @ 416 MHz / 1123 MHz

<edit>But where's the SLI???</edit>

ill try to get it up to 470 ...maybe ill put the sidepanel with the two 120mm fans in front of the card and see if it will give it that extra bit of cooling and allow it to get the full 100mhz overclock .i will be very happy with that BECAUSE WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT A NORMAL 6800GT IS CLOCKED AT 350MHZ SO IM ALREADY ABOVE THE 100 MHZ OC :D .just got it up to 465 almost there ...there is no artifacts at all which makes me think ill get more out of it again if i give it another .5 volts in the bios ..ive modded the bios already with it at 1.5 v i might try 1.6 ????i hope it wont blow the mother;) the cpu temps are good aswell 27c plenty of overclocking there for that
    5v2mwy

SLI
    When i was using the DFI mobo i flashed the cards using a dual card flash program which when you have you cards in SLI you can flash both at the same time ..but the program is in its early stages and i think its messed up the cards running in sli as ive got all the jumpers and setting set-up for sli and ive got both cards in there slots but the drivers wont pick up the top card and it reads that the top slot is empty ..both cards are working fine on there own so there not damaged but on the dfi mobo when i put the jumpers to 1and2 "which is single mode" they show up as sli and it is enabled very strange ???So im going to reinstall both bios's but not with the dual flash program and see if it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Why'd u drop the cpu back to 2.9 in the second bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Why'd u drop the cpu back to 2.9 in the second bench?
    Only overclock one device at a time. That way if something goes wrong you know which one it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Only overclock one device at a time. That way if something goes wrong you know which one it is.
    Surely if its stable at a certain speed, OCing of other parts shouldnt affect it

• Advertisement

Surely if its stable at a certain speed, OCing of other parts shouldnt affect it
    Well, the thing is, RAM and CPU etc can have different limits, ie. CPU @ 3Ghz and RAM on a divider means the CPU can clock to 3Ghz. Now, drop the CPU back to stock or below, keep it there and up the FSB with the RAM @ 1:1 to see how far the RAM can go. Thisis your RAM limit. Now these two limits may not necessarily work together since when the CPU is overclocked so is the on-die memory controller.

This works too for graphics overclocks - if a game/bench etc crashes you want to make sure its the GPU's fault and not the CPU/RAM etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You test each individually and then try combining more than one OC'd device and work and tweak till everything's running flat-out and stable.

That is the basic approach to a solid overclock.

it just wont stop going higher and higher ..all i need now is to RMA both my cards as the bios in one of them is messed up and i cant seem to reflash it back the original bios ..i had both cards running on the ultra bios without any probs but for some reason only one of the cards flashed back to the original bios with out any probs ..both cards work fine in non sli mode ...but they wont work in sli mode on either my DFI SLI OR ASUS SLI mobo'S i think im better of rmaing both of them just to be safe ...thank god BFG have a life time warrenty ..it a shame though as the cards overclock so well look at the below picture ..and remeber the 6800GT's defaults is 350 core and 1ghz mem.. the only reason i didnt go any futher is the software im using maxed out at that

5xo486

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

what tool are you using to oc the graphics?

Thats a nice oc but doing it through windows is cheating :D

I'm 100% positive the DFI would do it the same if not better if you could figure the darned things settings out.

Dman_15 wrote:
    what tool are you using to oc the graphics?

Thats a nice oc but doing it through windows is cheating :D

I'm 100% positive the DFI would do it the same if not better if you could figure the darned things settings out.

EXPERTOOL is what i was using to OC .this program does,nt tell you that it cant going any higher and it overrides the nvidia tweaking settings ..handy little tool

And yes i know its a bit of a cheat but i got above 3.1ghz in the bios without software and on the DFI it it had probs going above 3.0ghz ..i do agree with you but about the DFI MOBO if i could only do a four year degree to understand all the settings and get them just right ;)
    but i have to say i downloaded the latest ASUS bios and out of the blue the bios had about 20 more opions ..compared to the one that came with it ...i have to get my SLI cards sorted out to see fully which board gets the highest overclocks after seeing how high this set up goes ..im going mad to run 3dmark05 in SLI with the asus mobo...

dubdvd wrote:
    it just wont stop going higher and higher ...
    it a shame though as the cards overclock so well look at the below picture ..and remeber the 6800GT's defaults is 350 core and 1ghz mem.. the only reason i didnt go any futher is the software im using maxed out at that
    ]
    Hehe, I'll get to hold on to my crown for a while yet! :D

what is your score btw wiz? and have you seen the new mushkin redline ram? Looks amazing

Can't remember tbh. It's in the 3dMark05 thread, somewhere in the 10,500 region.

I've just got the new OCZ PC5000 EL, and it runs at DDR625!! ;) Haven't benched yet though! :( No time...

WizZard wrote:
    Can't remember tbh. It's in the 3dMark05 thread, somewhere in the 10,500 region.

I've just got the new OCZ PC5000 EL, and it runs at DDR625!! ;) Haven't benched yet though! :( No time...

wwwwwwwwwooooooooooooowwwwwwwww nice memory very nice me goes into corner to cry :eek:

strange, i downloaded expertool and the performance/overclocking tab isnt there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

You probably have to get the reg entries for it to make it visible i think,im sure Dubdvd knows where it is.

Advertisement