Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rite Aidan & Co.

• 10-06-2005 5:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭

Have a look at this

Ive seen alot of crashes on TV, on Vid, and on the net etc.....but this is the first time ive seen this!

Who is the driver and was there anyone killed at this race meeting? :confused:

I hope nobody was killed but doesnt look to promising from the clip! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Looks like Donington in the early 90's.. google might turn up something about the crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Horrible crash. It happened during an F3000 race in Donnington around 1990. IIRC the drivers were Allan McNish and Emanuele Naspetti. They were both OK but a spectator was killed. He's the guy in the yellow jacket who gets hit by the detached engine from McNish's car. Not nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Anyone have the Alex Zanardi Crash in Germany?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Unfortunately, it won't load for me but if it's the video I think it is (and it sounds like it is from Kali and BrianD3's description) then, yes, it's Allan McNish's F3000 crash at Donington Park in 1990 where, sadly, a spectactor was killed. Even though it won't load for me on that site, I have seen the video of it on the telly in the past. Even though it's very rare to see repeat showings of crashes where somebody is killed or severly injured (Senna's crash is a good example. I've only seen that repeated about three times on television in the past 11 years since that dreadful weekend), I have seen that clip a few times in the past on TV.

Read an interview with McNish somewhere last year where he told how he attended the funeral of the spectator killed and his family came up to him and told him that they didn't hold him responsible in any way for what happened and not to blame himself but, despite this, he explained how it was a crash which not only took him a long time to get over but which still haunts him to this day. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Dempsey wrote:

I don't know how anyone could get any pleasure out of that accident..... that was easily the most stomoch churning accident I have seen in my life. Its great how much Alex has come on since. A true hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I don't know how anyone could get any pleasure out of that accident..... that was easily the most stomoch churning accident I have seen in my life. Its great how much Alex has come on since. A true hero.

Agree.....in some of the photos ya can see some of the flesh flying about

Stomoch churning.....hell yeah.....and Greg Moores crash in the Indy series a few years back! Not nice!
    If ya dare to look

Dempsey wrote:

As Requested The HORRIFIC CRASH

The PICTURE
    For those who wanna see the flesh as mentioned - not nice!!

http://www.portal-idema.com/f1_2003/graph/mov-zanardi-tagliani.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Where are the moderators? :rolleyes:

Post a link to that Zanardi pic is one thing, just flat out posting it is another :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its the most horrific thing I've seen and I dunno how you could think I want the video to take pleasure in what happened to him just because i want the video of it. Its the most graphic crashes in racing without a fatality.

gs39t wrote:
    Where are the moderators? :rolleyes:

Post a link to that Zanardi pic is one thing, just flat out posting it is another :mad:

Sorry lads and moderators..........have edited!

Sorry :(

• Advertisement

One of the the worst crashes I ever saw was in a Japanese F3 race. On the main straight two cars tangled and one got airborne. Similar to Christian Fittpaldi at the Italian GP in 93. But in the F3 crash there was a concrete bridge across the circuit at the point where the crash occured :eek: The car flew into the bridge, disintegrated and debris was flung into the pitlane. Driver never stood a chance.

Obviously motor racing is dangerous and there have been many many fatal accidents over the years. But there have been some miraculous survivals too eg Zanardi, Martin Donnelly at Jerez, Nelson Piquet at Indianapolis, the multiple crash involving Johnny Herbert at Brands hatch etc.

There was one in the Nascar series!
    When i seen it.........i was like......not a hope!!

Will try find it for ya.....amazing that he survived....and he proves he survives in the clip!

Curran wrote:
    Stomoch churning.....hell yeah.....and Greg Moores crash in the Indy series a few years back! Not nice!
    If ya dare to look

Think I'll pass, Curran. I watched it live on Eurosport and it's something I'd prefer not to see again, to be honest.

I remember watching the CART doctor being interviewed not long afterwards and making the announcement that Moore had died and just seeing the reaction of the crowd and the members of the various teams was terrible. They then said a prayer, the American flags around the track were lowered to half-mast and the decision was made to let the other drivers race on and not be told what had happened until after the race. When they came into the pits after the race and were informed of Greg's death, the shock on their faces was terrible to see. You could see the tears welling up in the eyes of some of the drivers, especially Adrian Fernandez who won that race, if I recall correctly, and Dario Franchitti, who was one of Greg's best friends. Such a sad and terrible event to witness. To see it live, well, that made it all the worse.

Will never forget watching Ayrton Senna's crash live as well and the immediate aftermath either. I can still remember Murray Walker's sombre voice as he described the scene and still tried to remain hopefull that Senna would pull through. Not long after he had been airlifted to hospital, the unconfirmed, conflicting reports started to come through on 'Grandstand'; that he was alive but in a coma, that he was brain dead, etc.; but nobody fully believed them, including myself, because, first of all, this was the Italian media the reports were coming from and they were notorious for being unreliable and sensationalistic at times and, secondly, because nobody truly wanted to admit to themselves that this driver who seemed invincible could be dead. But then a couple of hours later, Steve Ryder, who was presenting the coverage from Imola that day, came on to report that Senna had officially been declared dead. I will never, ever forget that moment. :(

Bad moments in Motorsport history!

Greg Moore's father was spotting for Greg from the grandstand.......and said afterwards that it looked like the car was running with too little downforce! :(

Curran wrote:

That's Jimmie Johnson in the NASCAR Busch series at Watkins Glen, NY. Not exactly sure of the year, 2000 or 2001 i think

gs39t wrote:
    That's Jimmie Johnson in the NASCAR Busch series at Watkins Glen, NY.

Fair play for knowing the exact details..........how he managed to get out without a scratch i dont know!

PS - sorry for the post earlier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Dont forget that in the last few years there have been huge crashes that the drivers escaped with a few cuts or bruises eg the De La Rosa crash at Monza a feww years back and when Luciano Berti got a concussion at spa from his crash with Irvine. And Dont forget when Schumacher broke his leg at Silverstone in 99

If its NASCAR related chances are i'll know it :D

As i said in the PM, dont worry about it :)
    Curran wrote:
    Fair play for knowing the exact details..........how he managed to get out without a scratch i dont know!

PS - sorry for the post earlier!

BrianD3 wrote:
    But there have been some miraculous survivals too eg Zanardi.....

I remember his crash at Spa in '93 in the Lotus. Horrific. :( He came through Eau Rouge, the car got away from him, he slammed into the Armco barrier which was right up alongside the track at that time (there was no run-off there at that time. Needless to say, it was changed for next year after Alex's crash), there was a brief flash of flame and all four corners of the car were torn off and the car, or what was left of it, just went spinning around and around and around at high speed on it's floor like a spinning top, spun across to the other side of the track and went into the barriers there. How the guy survived, I will never know. Then to add insult to injury, the other cars which were coming through were being waved by the marshalls to slow down as they threaded through the wreckage of Zanardi's car only for Senna to approach at nearly full speed, see what had happened, tried to slow down in time, spun and crashed into the barrier right beside Zanardi's parked wreck. Lucky he didn't end up going into Zanardi's car as well or hitting the marshalls.

• Advertisement

Just looked at that NASCAR clip. Ouch! :eek: Looks like the car just skated right across the gravel trap without scrubbing off any speed whatsoever either. That "THUMP!" it made when it hit the barrier sounded horrible.

Where was that, by the way? Looks like Watkins Glen (think I saw a bit of a sky-blue coloured Armco barrier there which tends to give it away as some of the barriers at the Glen are painted blue).

*edit - just noticed gs39t's post. Sad when I can tell what track it is by the colour of the barriers, eh? :D *

HMMM..........why dont they slow down.........remember Nick Heidfeld....at Interlagos (02 i think) when the Arrows crashed.....and he took the door off the medical car....the clown!

Again....will try source evidence!!

Found it!!

Enjoy this farce!..........guy getting out was lucky it was 2 seconds later!

Getting back to Moores crash I knew from the moment he had crashed that he had died.

Its amazing that drivers still decide to race despite the fears of broken bones, early retirement or even death, especially those in the IRL.

Your views.

andyman wrote:
    Getting back to Moores crash I knew from the moment he had crashed that he had died.

Its amazing that drivers still decide to race despite the fears of broken bones, early retirement or even death, especially those in the IRL.

Your views.

Yeah sometimes you just know!

Whatever about broken bones, etc....dont know how they go back after a major shunt when they have childern.....id be like....no way.....not riskin that again...........eg Schumacher in Silverstone! ....maybe not quite as major to changes someones mind....but you get what im getting at???? :confused:

andyman wrote:

Your views.

I remember watching that live on Eurosport. I too, knew that was unsurvivable. I remember the wierdest thing was the commentators didnt even see the crash as it was happening; and they were calmy taking about something else as that horrific crash was happening.

Then, 2 weeks later - Gonzalo Rodriguez (sp?) went head on into the wall at the corkscrew at Laguna Seca and was killed. Two fatalities in 2 weeks. A terrible few weeks for the series. I was a huge fan of Moore's at the time, too :(

Will never forget watching Ayrton Senna's crash live as well and the immediate aftermath either. I can still remember Murray Walker's sombre voice as he described the scene and still tried to remain hopefull that Senna would pull through. Not long after he had been airlifted to hospital, the unconfirmed, conflicting reports started to come through on 'Grandstand'; that he was alive but in a coma, that he was brain dead, etc.; but nobody fully believed them, including myself, because, first of all, this was the Italian media the reports were coming from and they were notorious for being unreliable and sensationalistic at times and, secondly, because nobody truly wanted to admit to themselves that this driver who seemed invincible could be dead. But then a couple of hours later, Steve Ryder, who was presenting the coverage from Imola that day, came on to report that Senna had officially been declared dead. I will never, ever forget that moment. :(
    I'm the same, the memories of that day are burned into my memory and will never leave me as long as I live. I remember watching the race after the restart and anxiously waiting for news of Senna's condition to come through. When the news did come, it was that he had "grave" head injuries. I knew then that he was gone. Later on that evening after the race finished it was announced that he was clinically dead.

One other thing I remember - the next day in school, there were a lot of pr1cks making a laugh out of the whole thing and taunting anyone known to be a motor racing fan. Appalling :mad:

gs39t wrote:
    Then, 2 weeks later - Gonzalo Rodriguez (sp?) went head on into the wall at the corkscrew at Laguna Seca and was killed. Two fatalities in 2 weeks. A terrible few weeks for the series. I was a huge fan of Moore's at the time, too :(

gs39t........dont mean to upset you....but i thougth of that crash earlier and i found the clip.......and im posting it for people to see it so the know what we are talking about
    If ya want me to take anything down......just say....ill delete!

PS....didnt go head on into the wall......nose dug into sand trap and flipped the wall landing top down....giving him no chance! :(

Gonzalo Rodriguez
    :(

Curran wrote:
    eg Schumacher in Silverstone!

I just remembered Kenny Brack a year or two ago aswell was a bad crash. Didnt see it thank God

I've no problem with posting a LINK to a questionable video/image; so that way people can make their own choice if they wish to view it. It was posting the image in the thread that was what i had an issue with.

• Advertisement

andyman wrote:
    I just remembered Kenny Brack a year or two ago aswell was a bad crash. Didnt see it thank God

Is that the one where he was launched up into the air and hit the metal guard rail and ripped the car to shreds even the top of the cockpit tub and when it came to a stop, you could see his legs dangling out?

gs39t wrote:
    I've no problem with posting a LINK to a questionable video/image; so that way people can make their own choice if they wish to view it. It was posting the image in the thread that was what i had an issue with.

Understood and noted........i totally agree, the way i posted earlier was funking stupid and very unsensitive of me!

Yeah, I remember Rodriguez's crash as well. It was a bit of a weird one, actually. The car went head-on into the barrier at the top of the Corkscrew, flipped over the barrier and landed upside-down by the trees. It wasn't travelling at a massive speed, though, if I recall. Perhaps it was the way the car landed upside down or something is what killed him. :confused:

*edit - just seen that Curran has posted a link to the video of the crash. I wasn't too far wrong in my description of what happened then, eh? ;) Though, looking at that clip, it seems he was travelling a lot faster than I remember.*

Strangely enough, Senna's crash wasn't huge, relatively speaking. Yes, it was a big crash but I had seen much worse before that. Looking at it, the car hit the wall hard, came back across the gravel trap and onto the track but the car was actually doing it's job as it did so, i.e. the various parts were breaking off in order to dissipate the energy of the crash away from the driver. What actually killed Senna was a piece of carbon-fibre from a front suspension pushrod puncturing through his helmet and going into his head. If it hadn't been for that one-in-a-million occurence, Senna would have probably lived, though certainly battered and bruised and possibly with some broken bones. I think that's why, at the time, myself and most other people (Murray Walker included, from his commentary) watching were almost expecting Senna to step out of the car, and certainly to live, because while it was a big crash, it cetainly wasn't as bad as some others we had seen before where drivers had survived and even walked away from.

Though, given everything that had happened already that weekend, we should have known, I guess. :(

Yeah, I remember Rodriguez's crash as well. It was a bit of a weird one, actually. The car went head-on into the barrier at the top of the Corkscrew, flipped over the barrier and landed upside-down by the trees. It wasn't travelling at a massive speed, though, if I recall. Perhaps it was the way the car landed upside down or something is what killed him. :confused:

Check out the vid..........did it hit the barrie.........looks like the sand trap was too high........so when the car left the track.....the nose got stuck in the sand straight away and summersaulted the barrier!

I have a picture of Derek Daly(second cousin) in a tyre wall, the car was wrecked and he left with a couple of scratches. The crash was bad enough I cant remember the circuit it was at. I'll look into that.

Getting back to Brack I dont know what happened but from what I hear it was a very bad crash.

Rodriguez broke his neck in the crash.

I have the Brack crash on my hard drive (they showed it in the Indy 500 pre-race). If anyone really wants it, i can edit it down but ive no webspace at the moment - would need to email it

• Advertisement

WOW Aidan........never thats what happened to Senna.....never seen it at the time it happened.....didnt follow motorsport at the time.......but seeing clips in later years, i alway thought.....jasus that wasnt too big and impact.....like you saying i had seen alot worse!

Thanks for the info and finally putting that niggling thought to rest!
    Cheers

Curran wrote:
    Check out the vid..........did it hit the barrie.........looks like the sand trap was too high........so when the car left the track.....the nose got stuck in the sand straight away and summersaulted the barrier!

Yeah, I think you're right, Curran. Having looked at it a couple of times now, it does seem the car flipped as soon as it hit the gravel and launched it into the air clean over the barriers.

The Derek Daly crash I was on about was in Michigan in '84 wjen he badly injured his legs.

Yeah, I think you're right, Curran. Having looked at it a couple of times now, it does seem the car flipped as soon as it hit the gravel and launched it into the air clean over the barriers.

Freak accident or what!!
    Just to think the the sand was an inch to high!
    Wuda been perfect depth for Moto GP or anything will a ride height a tiny bit higher than a Champcar :(

It's a bad video - he hit the tire barrier head on and it launched the car. You can even see the sign on the wall move in this video

• Advertisement

What year did Kenny B. crash.....might be able to save to the bother of editing!

Yep, Curran, seems it was just bad luck that that piece of suspension pushrod pierced Senna's helmet. A one-in-a-million chance, as I said. If it hadn't been for that, he would have probably lived, though certainly injured in some way.

A couple of years ago I read an account from Professor Sid Watkins (the FIA doctor, who was also a good friend of Senna's) on the accident. Incidently, he had advised Senna not to race that day, due to his mental state after the death of Roland Ratzenberger the previous day. Senna was in tears and very upset after his death, it hit him really hard and Prof. Watkins said it seemed as if Senna suddenly realised his own mortality as a result. Nevertheless, he went on to race, we all know what happened, and Watkins said he'll never forget arriving on the scene to see Senna's helmet filled with blood. That's when he knew it was bad! :(

Curran wrote:
    What year did Kenny B. crash.....might be able to save to the bother of editing!

Last year, Texas

gs39t wrote:
    Last year, Texas

2003.......seems like yesterday!

Curran wrote:

What made me think it was last year? :rolleyes: 2003, obviously :o

Watkins said he'll never forget arriving on the scene to see Senna's helmet filled with blood. That's when he knew it was bad! :(

Dont think anyone could forget that............think the blood was an obvious sign....not a bad one :(

Seen the Roland Ratzenberger crash the other day..........only a short clip....but when the car came to rest at the hairpin and you could see his head flop to the side...........you just had to know! :(

A weekend in motorsport that hopefully nothing of the like will ever happen again!

OK I just found some info on the F3 crash where the car flew into a bridge. The unfortunate driver was Takashi Yokoyama and it happened at the Fuji track in 1997. Very violent crash and the pics reflect this so be warned.
    http://www.crasherama.dk/images/F3_1997_Takashi_Yokoyama_at_Fuji11.jpg
    http://www.crasherama.dk/images/F3_1997_Takashi_Yokoyama_at_Fuji22.jpg
    http://www.crasherama.dk/images/F3_1997_Takashi_Yokoyama_at_Fuji33.jpg

I wonder if Kersh has witnessed any bad ones while hes been racing.

And all this talk of fatal crashes, flesh and blood etc is making me feel kinda sick

BrianD3 wrote:
    Very violent crash and the pics reflect this so be warned.
    http://www.crasherama.dk/images/F3_1997_Takashi_Yokoyama_at_Fuji33.jpg

Eh is that his helmet on the bottom right of the picture???

Andyman......sick is not the word!

• Advertisement
Advertisement