Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D Day for liverpool football club

• 10-06-2005 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Uefa is set to tell Liverpool on Friday whether they can defend their Champions League title.
    The executive commitee at Uefa has already held a phone conference on the matter and will now inform the Reds, possibly around 1200 BST.

It is believed Liverpool will be offered a place in the qualifying rounds, giving the Premiership five teams in next season's competition.

Liverpool won the Champions League but did not qualify to play in it again.

However, it is thought enough members of the executive commitee - Football Association chairman Geoff Thompson was not given a vote - want the reigning champions to defend their crown.

Otherwise Liverpool will play in the Uefa Cup where they have earned a spot by finishing fifth in the Premiership

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

- Liverpool would enter the competition in the first qualifying round, to be played on 12/13 and 19/20 July, with the draw taking place on 24 June.
    - There will be no country protection for Liverpool.
    - Liverpool will be included in the English market pool share with the status of lowest-placed English club.

Thats a very early start to the season. Does the 2nd point mean that they can draw Everton in the 3rd qualifying round or another English team at any stage, thats what my reading of it suggests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think all you lads who keep saying it won't happen are actually good luck..

Happy days..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

even though i totally disagree with liverpool being in the CL because they didnt actually qualify for it, i think the competition is better for the holders competing.

im glad everton did not have to make way for them as well.
    it seems that a good compromise, alhthough no doubt we will still hear liverpool supporters moaning about not being straight into the group stages.
    never happy those pool fans. i think they may be moanier than utd fans :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

are we going to meet them in the qualifying rounds then ? i hope not,, i dont want to get knock out with an unfair 1st round opponet like liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Yay ... Heres to winning it Twice in a Row just like 76 , 77...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

It does not mention anything about seeding! I am assuming that Liverpool will be top seeds in all rounds of qualifying because of their coefficient, which would mean that they cannot play Man Utd in the qualifiers but can play Everton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

What happens to the cash bonuses that the 4 placed clubs receive?
    - Liverpool will be included in the English market pool share with the status of lowest-placed English club.

Does this indicate that Liverpool will get a share of this also?

edit, seems they will
    But the Anfield club will get a smaller slice of television revenue than the other four Premiership teams involved.
    from the BBC

Seems fair enough (as long as the initial money is increased, and simply not split 5 ways)

- There will be no country protection for Liverpool.

That would suggest they can draw anyone, obviously seed exclusions will still apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

nice one :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

So Rules in effect mean nothing :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

:o

Lots of shocking things there:

No Country Protection:

Man Utd vs. Liverpool in the 3rd round, who'd pay to see that :P
    Liverpool vs. Everton might be even better!

Liverpool will be included in the English market pool share with the status of lowest-placed English club.

There is gona be a lot of uproar about this I think, especially with Glazier's profits planned.

- Liverpool would enter the competition in the first qualifying round, to be played on 12/13 and 19/20 July, with the draw taking place on 24 June.

That is an incredibly early start to the season.
    I've talked before about how the CL will **** up Liverpools chances in the PL, now i'm 100% sure it will.
    There is no way they can keep going towards the end of the season if they get into the group stages.

p.s.
    Liverpool won't be top seeds, Real Madrid will if I'm not mistaken

Liverpool - Everton 3rd Qual round anyone? :)

Does Man City get the extra spot?

Edit:

It appears not:
    Manchester City will not be given a place in the Uefa Cup despite Liverpool being allowed into the Champions League, Uefa has confirmed.

City, who finished eighth in the Premiership, had been lobbying to take the place vacated by Liverpool.

But there will just be one less English team in the Uefa Cup as a result.

City missed out to Middlesbrough on the when Robbie Fowler missed a last-minute penalty on the season's final day and Boro took the crucial seventh spot.

From the BBC

PHB wrote:

In the qualifying round? Liverpool will bo one of the top seeds!

TheMonster wrote:
    So Rules in effect mean nothing :mad:

Sometimes common sense has to over rule! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Personally i dont like the idea of starting in the first qualifying round i would have thought the third qualifying round would be fair.

Dont get me wrong I'm glad we are in the competition as we deserve it as holders, and it will help attract some players to the club. But now liverpool are going to have a very long season as it starts on the 12 of July, then they have the world club championship aswell(maybe this new winter break will help a little). They are also going to miss out on a money spinning trip to the far east assuming they get to the second qualifying round.

If liverpool are seen as the lowest ranking english team will this affect them in the group stages ie: will they be put in the third or fourth pot or in the first or second pot??

Yes they will, hence why I said Real Madrid will be top seeds, while Liverpool would inturn be second.
    You saw top seeds, and then inserted, 'one of the'

PHB wrote:
    :o
    Man Utd vs. Liverpool in the 3rd round, who'd pay to see that :P

Both are seeded so that wont happen.
    PHB wrote:
    Liverpool vs. Everton might be even better!

This could happen

PHB wrote:
    That is an incredibly early start to the season.
    I've talked before about how the CL will **** up Liverpools chances in the PL, now i'm 100% sure it will.

The kids will be playing the first couple of rounds.

PHB wrote:

That was always the case, Liverpool are only the top English side, they are about 4th or 5th overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

Depends on the draw but I don't think it will be a full strenght team for the first couple of rounds. might mean they have to buy a few extra players to bulk up the squad which could be a good thing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I can't believe some people are whinging about money. What happened to the best interests of football? If UEFA decide to go ahead with this idea, its clear that they feel the previous rules didn't represent the best interests of the game, and hence changed them. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that, and if Glazer's profit margin suffers accordingly, all the better!

PHB wrote:
    Yes they will, hence why I said Real Madrid will be top seeds, while Liverpool would inturn be second.
    You saw top seeds, and then inserted, 'one of the'

Apologies we got our wires crossed, I was refering to the qualifying round, so we were both right, but in a way I was more correct :p

Report on Football365 now:
    Reds handed Champions League spot
    Friday June 10 2005

Liverpool will be allowed to defend their Champions League crown next season.

UEFA's 14-man executive committee have decided to make a special case to allow the Reds into the first qualifying round of the competition next season.

It means Liverpool will have to play six matches in order to qualify for the group phase and it could interfere with their pre-season tour of Japan.

Liverpool, who failed to finish in a qualifying place in the Barclays Premiership, will become the fifth English side in the competition.

UEFA have also taken steps to ensure that the same scenario never occurs again by changing the rules so that in the future the title-holders will always qualify for the competition the following season.

If the Liverpool situation occurs again and the European champions fail to finish in a qualifying place in their domestic competition, however, they will come in at the expense of the fourth-placed side.

The rules will also apply for countries who only get three or two Champions League spots, but there will be a special exemption in the unlikely event of a country with one Champions League spot winning the competition but failing to win their own domestic league.

UEFA said in a statement: "Liverpool FC will compete in next season's UEFA Champions League first qualifying round.

"The UEFA Executive Committee decided to amend the regulations for the future editions of the Champions League, so that the holders will have the right to defend their title and therefore qualify automatically. At the same time, the number of clubs allowed per national association will remain stable based on coefficient ranking.

"Exceptionally, for the upcoming season, the executive committee today decided to allow the current Champions League holders to defend their title."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

the early rounds will give the likes of welsh and potter a chance in the first team.
    Commen sense prevailed even though we are stuck in the first round but hey at least we are still in the competition next season.
    Interesting to see who liverpool get,maybe even shelbourne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Shels are seeded in the first round AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Stekelly wrote:
    That was always the case, Liverpool are only the top English side, they are about 4th or 5th overall.

I thought as holders they automatically get 1st seed? Could be wrong, just had that in my head. Ya i could totally see an everton liverpool 3rd round!

The extra fixtures shouldn't be too much hassle, just practially fit in as extra pre season given the standard of opposition for the first 2 rounds. The only worry is with the clash with the asian money spinning tour.. If needs be could almost split the squad, have a few stars at each and a few youngsters at each maybe?

For second round id imagine drawing shels could be good for shels, would generate as much money as would be possible id say given its unlikely they'll reach the group stages anyway (no offence, know they're great and everything, just saying its not the most likely). Would all the smaller clubs be wanting the "glamour tie" facing the champions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

bohsman wrote:
    Shels are seeded in the first round AFAIK
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedcl2005.html

So Shels will avoid them.

I think teams that come from the 1st QR can't draw each other in the 2nd.

Maybe TNS will get their big payday now, only now it will be two paydays, IF the draw Liverpool.

galwaydude wrote:
    the early rounds will give the likes of welsh and potter a chance in the first team.
    Commen sense prevailed even though we are stuck in the first round but hey at least we are still in the competition next season.
    Interesting to see who liverpool get,maybe even shelbourne.

id like to see liverpool meet celtic.

see where those allegences lie :)

didnt rangers knock out port and roma a few yeas ago in the qualifying rounds. not all easy sailing.

unless you get shels or some other crappy irish or estonian team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

unless you get shels or some other crappy irish or estonian team!
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Goes to show how much you actually know. There is only one Irish team in the CL, that being Shels.

• Advertisement

if liverpool came up against celtic there would be no question who i would go for.Anyways i dont support celtic.Just liverpool and my local team cough cough Galway Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I think this is great news for the premiership. It will mean that Liverpool will be rubbish in the league again this year because of their extended champions league run....

Looks like 4th spot is safe again.... G'wan the toffees ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

According to that link http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedcl2005.html
    Liverpool and Celtic are both seeded for both 2nd and 3rd rounds so cant play each other till group stages. Theres noone really worth worrying about unseeded in 1st or 2nd rounds so should be plain sailing even with an understrength team for these, but 3rd has some definately potential bananna skins; Shakhtar Donetsk, Udinese, Real Betis, Basel (nightmares of last group stage game a few years ago..) and of course Everton. Few others of some merit too but Shouldn't be major worries..

with this out of the day we can start by signing a few good players like reina to start of with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

~Rebel~ wrote:
    I thought as holders they automatically get 1st seed? Could be wrong, just had that in my head.
    You're right. That's definitely the way it was a 3/4 years ago anyway. The number one seed was the champion, regardless of co-efficient. Though I dont know if they've changed the rules in the last 2 years or not. Won't make much difference in any event as they'll be one of the top seeds for the group stages (if they make it) either way.

Liverpool cannot draw Celtic until the group stages, as they'll both be seeded in qualifying rounds. They could draw Glentoran in the 1st round, Shels in the 2nd and Everton in the 3rd.

Just looking at the 3rd round, it looks to me to be of a higher quality than usual (top seeds on left, unseeded on right - assumes top seeds win earlier qualifying rounds)
    Liverpool (TH) *         Eng 115.864              Slavia Praha             Cze  35.223
    Manchester United        Eng 110.864              Real Betis               Esp  34.326
    Internazionale           Ita 101.191              FC Basel                 Sui  33.889
    Panathinaikos            Gre  70.714              Wisla Kraków             Pol  32.930
    Celtic **                Sco  63.477              Partizan Belgrade **     Srb  30.012
    Villarreal               Esp  58.326              Udinese                  Ita  30.191
    Sporting CP Lisbon       Por  55.740              Shakhtar Donetsk (**)    Ukr  28.200
    AS Monaco                Fra  53.325              Maccabi Haifa **         Isr  21.218
    Ajax                     Ned  52.144              Everton                  Eng  20.864
    Club Brugge              Bel  50.477              CL **                    Den  15.676 - 19.676
    Anderlecht **            Bel  47.477              Rapid Wien **            Aut  15.209
    Glasgow Rangers          Sco  40.477              CSKA Sofia **            Bul  15.118
    Dinamo Kiev (**)         Ukr  40.200              DVSC Debrecen **         Hun  14.389
    Werder Bremen            Ger  40.166              Trabzonspor **           Tur  12.872
    Lokomotiv Moscow **      Rus  38.470              CL **                    Rom  12.101 - 20.101
    Rosenborg BK             Nor  36.666              Vålerengen IF **         Nor  11.666

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

mr_angry wrote:
    I can't believe some people are whinging about money. What happened to the best interests of football? If UEFA decide to go ahead with this idea, its clear that they feel the previous rules didn't represent the best interests of the game, and hence changed them. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that, and if Glazer's profit margin suffers accordingly, all the better!

I agree, the holders defending the title is in the best interests of the game.
    But as an Everton fan its hardly "whinging about money" and although we're not strapped, the money will be of greater benefiet to us than Man U or Chelsea.

Liverpool defending is a good thing but they finished in 5th so rather then split the current allocation money 5 ways, the total should be increased and Liverpool be given a 5th place share of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

seansouth wrote:
    Thats not correct. Liverpool can draw Shels in the 2nd round - if they both get there. Liverpool would be seeded, Shels would be unlikely to be (unless lots of upsets in the 1st round).

As for the split of the TV money:
    Most of the TV money (60% I think) is allocated based on performances. But there is a certain amount that is guaranteed for each country regardless of performace. Last year this element was split as follows between the English clubs:
    Champions Arsenal: 40%
    2nd place Chelsea: 30%
    3rd place ManU: 15%
    4th place Liverpool: 15%

I'm almost certain that's the correct split - I am certain 3rd and 4th get the same. I think Kenyon said coming 2nd rather than 3rd would be worth between 1.5m and 2m.

I'd guess the most Liverpool will get next year would be 10%, so say 2m = 15%, then the 4 English clubs would be down about £300k each (although it might be fairer to take a bit more from the champions and a bit less from 3rd and 4th).

You see, I don't think its in the best interests of football that Liverpool are in the CL, I don't even think its in the best interest of Liverpool FC.
    So since it adversely affects my team, I'm annoyed about it, and I'm sure that the clubs are too.

---

Do you honastly think that Benetiz will play kids?
    First off, he can only register 25 players for the inital stages, and he needs to have the option of his top team in the 3rd qualifying round definally.
    Thus, he won't be able to have an entire team of kids to play in the inital rounds, also he can't risk it.
    Man Utd vs. Exeter rings a bell, and United's reserve team is a lot strong than Liverpools.
    He will be forced to play a fairly top quality side, and it will affect the league run.

seansouth wrote:
    Goes to show how much you actually know. There is only one Irish team in the CL, that being Shels.

you whinge a lot.

sorry. but i actually dont get a crap about irish football,a nd claim no knowledge of it, other than its crap.

yeah, rolleyes whatever. get glasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

So, Uefa have decided to grant Liverpool a place in next years CL. Sense prevails and football wins.

Its good news for Liverpool to be in it. Even if only at the 1st rnd stage, they should get through to the group stage but its interesting to see that they are not classified as an English team, so could meet Man U or Everton early on or another difficult team. They will be seeded in the group stage I understand.

This may mess up their planned tours of Japan, but they arent serious football wise so it doesnt matter at the end of the day. Better playing CL qualifiers as pre-season training imo, as these matches matter whereas the friendlies dont.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

redspider wrote:
    football wins.

You must be f*cking joking.

Because of UEFAs spinelessness one club in the first round will now be denied a chance of progression if they draw Liverpool, denying them a chance to improve their co-efficent and get seeded in future rounds as Shels did last season. Another team in the first round that was seeded has now been pushed down to accomodate Liverpool, drastically reducing their chances of progression too. The same has happened in the second round, and Liverpool as a potential second round opponent will reduce another teams chances of progression.

Football wins? You haven't a clue. Football does not = the big clubs. This decision will seriously píss on the chips of quite a few small clubs but sure, when did UEFA ever consider them worthwhile?

Shels could now draw these in the second round rather than a team like Hajduk Split who they've already beaten, if we do, we've little to no chance of getting to the next round when before we did. In fact, Hajduk Split are now unseeded altogether in the second round aren't they, assumeing Liverpool win.

Yeah, great news, football wins again :rolleyes:

**** off uefa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    According to the official UEFA regulations, the title holder will always be top seed.
    seansouth wrote:
    Teams that get through the QR1 are usually unseeded in QR2 so thats maybe where you got that idea.

Just checked, Hajduk Split are now unseeded thanks to this, meaning they've very little chance of making the third round qualifyiers and having a chance of either UEFA cup or CL group stages.

Oh joy, football wins :rolleyes:

Football most definitely loses. I think the G14 should piss off and form their own competition let the rest of Europe have some proper football.

I still dont understand how it can be called the champions league, bring back the european cup I say, I like Platinis idea of a 256 team knockout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

would love to see Hadjuk Spilt or one of the other clubs affected by this putting forward a legal challenge because I believe they would win it. Yuo can't change the rules mid-way though the competition.

One of teams who might get a big day getting into the group stages will no wlose out, even though with Liverpools erratic form this season this is by no means certain.

Whats all this crap about "country protection" - what about the teams from that country that could play Liverpool - do they not get country protection - what a fvcking farce!!!

The liverpool idiots have the f*cking nerve to moan about being entered into the first round qualifyers on Sky Sports News.

A sad, sad day for football. Confirming UEFA as being simply out for the G14 at the expence of any other clubs, as if we didn't already know.

TheMonster wrote:
    would love to see Hadjuk Spilt or one of the other clubs affected by this putting forward a legal challenge because I believe they would win it. Yuo can't change the rules mid-way though the competition.

So would I, and the Spanish club, Zaragoza, who missed out in 2001 doing the same.

Football has been dying for a long time, its no longer about results its about money, stuff like signing players so that more asians will buy sky, fact is Liverpool should be in the champions league along with chelsea, what Manure and Arsenal are doing in it I cant understand

Slash/ED wrote:
    So would I, and the Spanish club, Zaragoza, who missed out in 2001 doing the same.

They were given money annd accepted it, they have no case.

bohsman wrote:
    Football most definitely loses. I think the G14 should piss off and form their own competition let the rest of Europe have some proper football.

I still dont understand how it can be called the champions league, bring back the european cup I say, I like Platinis idea of a 256 team knockout
    Thats a load of crap in my opinion. In this circumstance, the Turkish champions will be promoted from the qualifying stages to the group stages in place of Liverpool. This then opens up another seeding place in the third round, promoting another team automatically from the second round, and one from the first to take their place.

So basically an unseeded team in the first round, judged unlikely to win their game anyway, will have to play a bigger club in which the amount of money the smaller team will receive from the tie will be drastically increased. And what's more, they still have a chance of winning. How the hell is football losing out? If anything, quality football and entertainment is prevailing.

I would imagine most of the players and supporters of the smaller team will be champing at the bit to play Liverpool, not moaning about G14 and UEFA like yourself.

TheMonster wrote:
    Yuo can't change the rules mid-way though the competition.

How are they changing the rules halfway through, the competiton hasnt started yet.

Plus, it was commonplace, and part of the rules in the old system that the winners get an extra place if they didnt win their league.

• Advertisement
Advertisement