Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D Day for liverpool football club

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Slash/ED wrote:
    Realtive to league crowds they are, the point was crowds in the early stages of the champions league are poor, and Liverpools are included in that list even if they aren't as bad as Juves.

Taking the figures of 40k, 42k and 43k, crowds were down under 10% off a sell out game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

The main reason Arsenal are building Ashburton Grove is because of the amount of revenue they're losing out on in Champions' League games. The attendance in Wembley for the Dynamo Kiev match in 1998/1999 was a 73,000 capacity sell-out, showing that they probably could pull in even more than that.

At Highbury, the capacity is limited to 34,500 for a number of reasons:
    1. Bigger advertising meaning the front-row seats are blocked off.
    2. Bigger crowd-segregation areas.
    3. UEFA demanding a higher number of corporate tickets, the majority of which aren't actually used.

Considering the amount of corporate tickets UEFA demand goes up for knockout matches, it doesn't surprise me that Anfield's attendences were reduced. In fact, if Arsenal ever make it to a semi-final at Highbury, the stadium will probably be half-empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Kingp35 wrote:
    Thats an absolute load of sh1te. there is no way shelbourne would choose to play liverpool for the sake of money.

As I said, I would like to see a Shelbourne mgmt/ownership comment on it. I havent seen any. However, Glentoran, who could be conisdered similar, have stated their opinion clearly:

Northern Ireland outfit Glentoran are dreaming of a bumper pay day after being given a chance of drawing Liverpool in the first round qualifying stages of the Champions League. Roy Coyle's men will be in the pot with the Reds for the June 24 draw when they could be handed the most lucrative tie of them all.

The club's chief executive, Stafford Reynolds, said: "Having Liverpool in our draw will generate attention towards some of the smaller clubs and nations that don't benefit like they once did in the European Cup.

"Good luck to Liverpool, I'm glad to see them get the chance to defend the cup.

"It would be something special if we were drawn to play them. It would be a great boost for the club and for Irish League football."

I'd say that Shelbourne would think similar.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

redspider wrote:
    As I said, I would like to see a Shelbourne mgmt/ownership comment on it. I havent seen any. However, Glentoran, who could be conisdered similar, have stated their opinion clearly:

Northern Ireland outfit Glentoran are dreaming of a bumper pay day after being given a chance of drawing Liverpool in the first round qualifying stages of the Champions League. Roy Coyle's men will be in the pot with the Reds for the June 24 draw when they could be handed the most lucrative tie of them all.

The club's chief executive, Stafford Reynolds, said: "Having Liverpool in our draw will generate attention towards some of the smaller clubs and nations that don't benefit like they once did in the European Cup.

"Good luck to Liverpool, I'm glad to see them get the chance to defend the cup.

"It would be something special if we were drawn to play them. It would be a great boost for the club and for Irish League football."

I'd say that Shelbourne would think similar.

Redspider

Glentoran have won one European tie in over two decades, they obviously think they have very little chance of progression to the next round anyway (History would tell them that) so for them Liverpool is a dream draw. Shelbourne are in a different position altogether and would be odds on favourites to progress to the next round, and given a choice between Liverpool or a team who they could possibley beat for a chance to make it into the third round qualifyers again, there's simply no contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shelbourne and Liverpool are both seeded in the QL1.

Can't draw each other anyway.

So whatever "dreams" anyone has of Shels playing Liverpool is not going to happen.

In fact, I would say that the only Irish people "dreaming" of a Shels Liverpool pairing are the Irish Liverpool "fans" who don't travel to see their heroes playing, they might get to see their idols in action for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

seansouth wrote:

In fact, I would say that the only Irish people "dreaming" of a Shels Liverpool pairing are the Irish Liverpool "fans" who don't travel to see their heroes playing, they might get to see their idols in action for once.

A little harsh there ... the money a Liverpool Vs Shels tie would generate for Shelbourne would be massive .. they'd probably be able to fill Lansdowne and make more money than the whole run last season ... (possibly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LizardKing wrote:
    A little harsh there ... the money a Liverpool Vs Shels tie would generate for Shelbourne would be massive .. they'd probably be able to fill Lansdowne and make more money than the whole run last season ... (possibly)

:rolleyes:

No, remember last year, the Depor game?

Lansdowne was as full as UEFA would allow, and still Shels made nothing like the reported amounts.

I, and many other Shels fans I know, would rather we play a team we are at least capable of beating, thus ensuring we go on in the competition, perhaps even drawing a relatively easy draw in the 2nd and 3rd qualifying rounds, maybe even getting to the group stages. At the very least entering the UEFA Cup, with the chance of a group stage in that.

A game against Liverpool would mean instant dismissal from the competition.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Glentoran have won one European tie in over two decades, they obviously think they have very little chance of progression to the next round anyway (History would tell them that) so for them Liverpool is a dream draw. Shelbourne are in a different position altogether and would be odds on favourites to progress to the next round, and given a choice between Liverpool or a team who they could possibley beat for a chance to make it into the third round qualifyers again, there's simply no contest.

Well, Glentoran's standard is not that much different to Shelbourne and recent results would bear that out in the Setanta Cup:

Apr 19: G1: Linfield 3-2 Glentoran
    May 21: Final: Shelbourne 0-2 Linfield

I take the point that Shelbourne would *prefer* to get through to the group stages or have a good run in the rnds, 1, 2 and 3, like last year. But if that is the same money-wise as meeting Liverpool at the start (although people are saying that it cant happen due to the seeding so this is a hypothetical debate now), then the only difference is the co-efficient. I'd still like to hear what the owners would prefer, although they have no reason to comment. I'm still of the opinion that they would prefer to meet Liverpool.

Anyway, I hope Shelbourne do well, whoever they meet.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

redspider wrote:
    Well, Glentoran's standard is not that much different to Shelbourne and recent results would bear that out in the Setanta Cup:

Apr 19: G1: Linfield 3-2 Glentoran
    May 21: Final: Shelbourne 0-2 Linfield

I take the point that Shelbourne would *prefer* to get through to the group stages or have a good run in the rnds, 1, 2 and 3, like last year. But if that is the same money-wise as meeting Liverpool at the start (although people are saying that it cant happen due to the seeding so this is a hypothetical debate now), then the only difference is the co-efficient. I'd still like to hear what the owners would prefer, although they have no reason to comment. I'm still of the opinion that they would prefer to meet Liverpool.

Anyway, I hope Shelbourne do well, whoever they meet.

Redspider

Glentorans standard is miles off Shelbourne in European matches, again, have only won one tie in over two decades. They don't expect to progress at all, we do. Playing Liverpool for them would be great because of that, not for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    Do you honastly think that Benetiz will play kids?
    First off, he can only register 25 players for the inital stages, and he needs to have the option of his top team in the 3rd qualifying round definally.
    Thus, he won't be able to have an entire team of kids to play in the inital rounds, also he can't risk it.
    Just checked, you can register new players after each qualification round. 4th August is the deadline for Round 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

:o

Still though, he won't risk it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote:
    :o

Still though, he won't risk it

I dont think he'll risk it totally but at the same time couldn't see him sending the 1st team abroad.. Would imagine will play a fairly decent team at home, so just counts as a nice friendly for them to bang in the goals, then send 3 or 4 first teamers, maybe a few of the new lads, 1 or 2 1st team defenders, 1 1st team midfielder, 1 1st team striker plus a few squad players and reserves should be easily enough to (a) hold onto the lead already gotten, or (b) keep a 0-0 or slight victory (whatever) for 2nd home leg, whichever comes first.

Aye, the 1st qualifying round is on at the same time as other teams will be playing in friendlies. I don't think it will really have too much effect on the players. Celtic had to play 4 matches in a few days in America last year (Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Roma). That would have much more of an effect on players.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Glentorans standard is miles off Shelbourne in European matches, again, have only won one tie in over two decades. They don't expect to progress at all, we do. Playing Liverpool for them would be great because of that, not for us.

It doesnt make sense that you think Glentoran will be "miles worse" than Shels in european games, because they just aren't in Irish games for this current year. I understand your point that they have historically performed poorly, yet trends like that are there to be broken. Shels will have an advantage as they have a higher co-efficient. Lets see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

eirebhoy, the qual rounds are on the same time as friendlies, but in order to gain match fitness for the qual rounds, liverpool will have to have friendlies before then

PHB wrote:
    eirebhoy, the qual rounds are on the same time as friendlies, but in order to gain match fitness for the qual rounds, liverpool will have to have friendlies before then
    I wouldn't say they'd have to. The quality of opposition are going to be really poor. An 11 aside 90 minute match between the Liverpool players should be enough. You're probably right though, they will probably play a friendly or 2. Although, Gent are coming over to Dublin to play Bohs on Saturday in the intertoto, their players have hardly trained at all and their still favourites to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:

i dont think so. The teams they play in first round are part-timers arent they, or close enough. A 11 aside between themselves will be grand.

Advertisement