Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do cops need 4X4's for?

Options
  • 10-06-2005 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows what the cops need with 4X4's? Was driving to work this morning (Cork City) and a cop in an Isuzu Trooper 4X4 came blazing past me with the sirens going toward a roundabout - i didn't think he'd make it around at one stage it was leaning to one side so much! What the hell are they doing with 4X4's around the city? The terrain isn't that bad!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

They cope with the potholes better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

lol in case the pursuit goes "cross country"

not that they will catch em or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

in case they have to drop their kids to school in & around Killiney/Dalkey/Dun Laoighre (sp?)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

In some cases, they have a small cage in the back for prisioners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

or dogs...

or maybe even for the kids on the way to school in Killiney...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

To make sure they kill that 70 year old woman crossing the road before swerving into a bus stop. Women drivers.

rymus wrote:
    or dogs...

or maybe even for the kids on the way to school in Killiney...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

The need 4x4's for driving through hoards of syringe toting scrotes in rough neighbourhoods like tallafornia while chasing down and attempting to recover stolen cars and property. No doubt you'll hear mcdowell screaming for guns shortly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

magpie wrote:
    To make sure they kill that 70 year old woman crossing the road before swerving into a bus stop. Women drivers.

I find this remark quite tasteless actually. Is a little respect for the dead and the people involved to much to ask for ?

Two words, High Visibility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I seen a 4X4 on O'Connell St. (DUB) about 3 years ago. At first i thought it was just a poser in a big flash Nissan Patrol, it had all the extra's (spot's, flared wheel arches etc..). He had his arm on door and was wearing Ray-Bans. Then all of a sudden the lights started flashing from behind the front grill and he just took off like a light. I think these guys are special branch, they wouldn't give that sort of kit to anyone else.

magpie wrote:

show some respect mate
    thats bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

K-TRIC wrote:
    I seen a 4X4 on O'Connell St. (DUB) about 3 years ago. At first i thought it was just a poser in a big flash Nissan Patrol, it had all the extra's (spot's, flared wheel arches etc..). He had his arm on door and was wearing Ray-Bans. Then all of a sudden the lights started flashing from behind the front grill and he just took off like a light. I think these guys are special branch, they wouldn't give that sort of kit to anyone else.

Have them as marked cars now. There was one in my estate this morning, as well as 2 marked cars for some reason. I'm sure Nelly down the road will have all the goss when I go home...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd imagine it's harded for knackers in robbed cars to kill gaurds in a 4 x4 than in a normal car. Maybe the lads that were killed on the stillorgan dual carriageway a couple of years back would be still alive if thewy were in a 4 x4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

So none actually knows then?
    And whats with the imature comments!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

DukeDredd wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone knows what the cops need with 4X4's?

They have larger cup holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

I'd imagine, its merely for presence for Traffic duties and the like. Also more often than not they do have to pursue across rough terrain that a standard patrol car would find impossible to drive on.

They obviously dont just deploy these vehicles everywhere, id say places that can suport a valid case for one, would have one and everywhere else would be supported by these districts if the needs ever arose to use on.

Thats just my 2 cents. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Not really sure why they use them. I would almost agree with the off road pursuit idea but I did work experience in a suburbian Garda Station and they have one there... Not exactly very much rough terrain around either.

If I had to guess I would probably guess that its for presence...?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

DukeDredd wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone knows what the cops need with 4X4's? Was driving to work this morning (Cork City) and a cop in an Isuzu Trooper 4X4 came blazing past me with the sirens going toward a roundabout - i didn't think he'd make it around at one stage it was leaning to one side so much! What the hell are they doing with 4X4's around the city? The terrain isn't that bad!

The same reason why a large number of 4x4 owners have them. Presence on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

Garda web site describes them as traffic units....they are nice though.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Respect for who? The 2 ban gardai who were doing 70mph for no apparent reason (they weren't involved in a pursuit) and thanks to their lack of driving skills mowed down a pedestrian then crashed into a bus stop?

You want respect? How about seeing these two gob****es on trial for dangerous driving / manslaughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Wouldn't one of these things cost 2 or 3 times the amount of the normal saloon cars they normally have? Expensive way of getting road presence.
    You want respect? How about seeing these two gob****es on trial for dangerous driving / manslaughter?

Here here.

magpie wrote:
    Respect for who? The 2 ban gardai who were doing 70mph for no apparent reason (they weren't involved in a pursuit) and thanks to their lack of driving skills mowed down a pedestrian then crashed into a bus stop?

the dead mate
    no courts here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

DukeDredd wrote:
    Wouldn't one of these things cost 2 or 3 times the amount of the normal saloon cars they normally have? Expensive way of getting road presence.
    Yeah lets give cops a pair of stilts instead.

Everyone knows how much of a pain it is getting stuck behind a van or a 4x4 - you can't sh*t in front of you. Makes perfect sense for cops to have higher road vehicles in certain circumstances.

I swear this place should be called object.ie. People have nothing better to do than grumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

As far as I can see, they use 4x4s to intimidate other drivers, the same as most of the other gobs that own them do.

Was driving up the M50 one evening last week during the evening rush hour when I saw a marked garda 4x4 driving up the overtaking lane. He was obviously in a hurry as he was driving right up behind cars and tailgating them until they moved over (I saw him do this more than once). I thought he was just being a dick, until I saw the accident he was heading to (which didn't appear to be a serious shunt). I'm not sure why he couldn't just turn on the lights as that would have moved people out of the way faster anyway. Why the tailgating stunt?

magpie wrote:

hmm, maybe they knew something that you don't? But then again, that can't be true cos then you might be wrong, and as we can all clearly se, you know more about police work than the people doing the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

IANOC wrote:
    the dead mate
    no courts here

He never made any disrespectful comments about the person that died. He was just giving out about the 2 garda that did it.

As for the 4x4's, its probably for a number of things, multi terrain pursuits, better safety in the event of a collision, being able to drive up pavements etc. I'm sure there are lots more good reasons.

Exactly, the suspension on a mondeo wont stand up too much bouncing up kerbs at 30 miles an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Stekelly wrote:
    Exactly, the suspension on a mondeo wont stand up too much bouncing up kerbs at 30 miles an hour.

ha!

says you!
    mine can do it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Magpie you hav'nt half got a gob on you!

Keep it civil or take it outside.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement