Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hosting Mixes ? ? ? ? ? ?

• 10-06-2005 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of making a website for a few mates. The site will allow visitors to download house and hip-hop mixes.

THE PROBLEM!!

If i have about 20 mixes on the site, at about 70mb-80mb, and if E=MC2, then thats 1600MB of space. Jesus! There is no way in hell i'm paying a web host for that kind of space.

What are the alternatives? Are there any specific sites that allow you host your own mp3's/mixes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

try www.vinylbeats.com or www.megaupload.com [think those urls are right... vinylbeats gives you 165mb of space and mega upload gives you 500 megs for free, unliimited downloads and fast speeds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Maybe you could look into creating torrents for each set?

Not the best solution but it might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

try www.vinylbeats.com or www.megaupload.com [think those urls are right... vinylbeats gives you 165mb of space and mega upload gives you 500 megs for free, unlimited downloads and fast speeds...

Nice one Tyranny, MegaUpload seems to be a good option. It almost sounds too good to be true thou. They will give me 500mb of space for free and I don't need to sign up with them so I could probably upload an infinite number of files! Um? Do you know of any drawbacks to using this free service?

As for vinylbeats, I think they just specialize in streaming audio, not quite what I was looking for but interesting nonetheless. :)

I remember reading in a thread a while back people where mentioning websites that will host your mixes for you. Curse my sh*te memory.....

Anima wrote:
    Maybe you could look into creating torrents for each set?

Not the best solution but it might help.

would be another option i suppose, but it seems like a lot of work to do a simple task. I don't think visitors to a site would be pleased to download torrents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

• Advertisement

Thanks for the interest so far. I want to try my best to avoid opening up a web page from a third party (rapidshare/yousendit) to get the mix downloaded. It doesn't look professional. I'm willing to spend the cash to get the right service.

Ideally i would like to find a company who will host the mixes for me and provide a direct link to the download thus avoiding the user having to navigate away from the page to get the mix.

It might be a bit much to ask i know!! I might just have to find a decent web host who can provide me with about 5GB of storage and unlimited bandwidth for less than 200euro a year.

How many gigs of daily transfer a day do you think the site would need?

bucks wrote:
    How many gigs of daily transfer a day do you think the site would need?

I'd imagine a Gig of Transfers would be enough, i wouldn't be too sure thou?
    I have made websites before but none would be as intensive with transfers and bandwidth as this website would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭BACKLASH

Is there any of these site that you can upload a mix and then just give
    people a URL as opposed to having to imput an e-mail so someone can 'collect' it, basically just put as a link on a site with one click download?

Powweb offer full hosting for $7.77 US a month with 5 gigs of disk space and 10 GIGS of DAILY data transfer.

Im currently with them and have no problems, check them out, www.powweb.com

• Advertisement

nice one bucks, i might consider them. :-)
    Does anyone else know of good hosts that can offer me a similiar package. I might as well shop around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

BACKLASH wrote:
    Is there any of these site that you can upload a mix and then just give
    people a URL as opposed to having to imput an e-mail so someone can 'collect' it, basically just put as a link on a site with one click download?

Just enter in any email address (I enter in my email address usually), then you can just post the URL wherever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭rancheros

why not set up a gmail account and give the name and pw to ur mates, they have over 2gb of space

Advertisement