Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper 2 HL

Options
  • 10-06-2005 12:43pm

So, what did everyone think?

I thought it was a really fair paper tbh. Even though Rúraiocht didn't come up, stair was still pretty handy.

Also, I saw people, smart people, leaving the OL Paper 2 very early, like after 3/4 of an hour. Was it really that easy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

It sure was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

i didnt think it was that fair.

if u studied ur arse off it suited u. treall was a bit of a surprise and the gafa being compulsory? maidhc dainin was easy i did the first part but the q wasnt great. ceol was hidden in part a, and racism in b, both i predicted. i didnt like the ur chein mhic cainte q was a bit ambigous.

wtf wit ruraiocht? got stung with that i only had filiocht na mbard same thing happened in te mocks but not with ruraioht. overall i expect low b.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

I thought it was a lovely paper, was absolutely delighted cos I had been dreading it for so long. The only things that I studied came up (apart from ruraiocht). I knew the gluaiseanna but then had to waffle about bealoidis using knowledge from clann lir! The Peig q couldn't have been more perfect, same with the urchnoc chein mhic chainte one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where was ruraiocht that was just MEAN!!!!!!
    i sorta knew Bealododis and i made up Douglas Hyde from what i knew from history, and i just plain made Peig Sayers up!!!
    what was th Clann Lir and Chein Mhic Cainte q's about?????????????? no one knows what clann lir was meant to mean!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Haedes1987

ya that ruraíocht really got me in the a*ss, all i had was ogham and na gluaiseanna - pisser. Overall ok tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where was ruraiocht that was just MEAN!!!!!!
    i sorta knew Bealododis and i made up Douglas Hyde from what i knew from history, and i just plain made Peig Sayers up!!!
    what was th Clann Lir and Chein Mhic Cainte q's about?????????????? no one knows what clann lir was meant to mean!!!

i think it was about magic and emotions, both help make the story a great bealoideas story.

for stair i did the two poets on the course

catlin maude and cathal searcaigh

GET THIS - for gafa i called the boy sean. will i lose many marks?

LoL. I doubt it. No more than 5% for the question I'd guess, i.e 3 marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

For Clann Lir it was the connection betwenn strong feelings and magic that are part of bealoidis stories or something. I just wrote about how Aoife is jealous but kind and then said how she used magic against them. For Chein mhic Chainte it was about the language he uses to intice her to go with him, had no idea of what to write for part (ii) and the last one was the metre thing (u,e,u,e,u,e,a etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Also, I saw people, smart people, leaving the OL Paper 2 very early, like after 3/4 of an hour. Was it really that easy?
    Pass is ALWAYS that easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 UncleFester

ne i did'nt think it went that well - none of the poems id expected came up n nothin i studied in stair na teanga came up - i ended up makin up somethin bout 2o the poets n i got peadar o doirnin mixed up n wrote all about martin o direan instead!..............wonder will they give me attempt marks..........wrote 2paragraphs on maidhc then ran outta time!overall i took chances with what i learned n it did'nt go im my favour!so im thinkin if i passed that paper it was a good day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Thought the paper was fair enough.... Bit surprised that Ruraíocht didn't come up but I was covered with canúintí and filíocht na mBard. Nothing really out of the ordinary...ah well IT'S OVER!!!! I will not have to look at an Irish book for a very long time! Woot!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

how was ceol in part a of maidhc danin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

how was ceol in part a of maidhc danin?

You could have included it as evidence that Maidhc was loyal to his native country and culture, etc. I did this question but mostly dealt with his independence and only wrote a paragraph or two on ceol.
    Anyone find the prose questions in A) hard to write about? Could only manage a page and a bit on Fisoracht Mhná, is that too short?
    Bear in mind that I have very big writing.

rosa wrote:
    You could have included it as evidence that Maidhc was loyal to his native country and culture, etc. I did this question but mostly dealt with his independence and only wrote a paragraph or two on ceol.
    Anyone find the prose questions in a hard to write about? Could only manage a page and a bit on Fisoracht Mhná, is that too short?
    Bear in mind that I have very big writing.

quality not quantity all the way, wouldn't worry about it as long as you made good points (i said it shows "dúire na fir"...not good if a male marker...but hey....)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Ok, put it this way - the Gafa question was worth 15 marks out of 600, that's two and a half percent... Even if they care that you got the name wrong, which I seriously doubt (Eoin and Sean are two Irish versions of John anyway, you're not far off!), it isn't going to affect your overall result. so don't worry!!

I was surprised that Ruraíocht wasn't there, but I was grand because I knew Filíocht na mBard, Gluaiseanna and Ogham really well. I was very happy with the poetry questions, I thought they were very fair, though I couldn't actually remember exactly what the lines we had to explain meant! Luckily it's only 6 marks anyway. I was a bit miffed that I had to answer on Gafa, but it could have been worse - imagine if it had been An Lasair Choille! Ugh! The part I think went kinda crappy for me was the An Triail question, it's my own fault really because I lost my copy of it and couldn't remember loads of stuff. However, overall I was quite happy with that paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

quality not quantity all the way, wouldn't worry about it as long as you made good points (i said it shows "dúire na fir"...not good if a male marker...but hey....)

thats what i kept thinking as i was writing!! i was going on and on using all the tuiseal ginidigh i could think of and then realised the examiner was gonna hate me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Murv

bitches with the ruraiocht. i thought they might throw in fiannaiocht to screw us over, but then this! there was a it of complaining, but i mean.. we really should have learned more stair. think i did ok... i was writing till the VERY end... my hand is BROKEN. The Gafa question was grand, the filliocht was easy... all in all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Irish Paper two isn't much fun unless you've learnt premade answers off by heart, or if you're fluent in irish. That's how I feel anyway.

Especially with the stair. All you can do is learn hundreds of lines of history and hope that it'll come up. They didn't even put ruriocht or fianiocht on it. That was lame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tara_mac

disgusted over the stair but can you believe the an triail how easy delighted well compared to paper one anyway

gafa was totally obviuos it never came up for the compulsary before was so obvious it would be still shocked over the stair though wkd mean

• Advertisement

Hehe .. yes.. easy.. hehe..

What does duilteach (sp) mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Murv

negative

Thought it meant something like that. I'm OK FOLKS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 CoffeeFreak

I thought the paper was fine. Not much of what I expected was on it, but I managed all the same. I'm so glad Irish is done! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Groovychick

Not trying to be mean but that was the easiest paper two i've ever done, lovely prose questions, scothscealta was perfect and poetry dead simple, didn't open a book before da exam but then again i'm lucky enough to live in da Gaeltacht and speak irish fluently!!! bit pissed about da ruraíocht thing !!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Thought it was a lovely paper, really easy. Was a bit surprised that Ruraiocht didn't come up but knew 3 others - stair's only 5% of the whole exam anyway. Scothscealta really predictable and nice questions, Fiosracht Mhná predictable, Urchnoc predictable and pretty much a rehash of the question they asked a few years ago. So yeah, no complaints with regards Irish. Maths is a different matter now...

Anyone who thinks they didn't do great don't worry too much, I usually think that and it almost always works out OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

over the year, the paper i was dreadin the most was paper 2
    the thought of learnin off premade answers to millions of poems,stories never mind the fact that there are 60-70 topics for stair na gaeilge
    so i kept puttin it off
    in the end, i learned a general question for clann lir, fiosracht,faoilean,chalon me mo cheann,
    last night i did ogham, gluaiseanna
    and i came across these notes in my folder which basically sumarised the stories in english, which was brill cos i didnt even know the story line for gafa, or amuigh liom fein
    i jus read the english
    and today i really really surprised myself,
    i used nice irish, not flashy but i could totally answer the questions for everything
    the were so general that you could bring so much in
    i was really chuffed with the paper especially cos my tape was so bad (i jus cant call it my cd, it sounds weird)

seriously, that's the idea afaik. They look for your knowledge and depth of understanding in paper two, yes there are marks for gaeilge but they are negliable in the great scheme of things...I totally disagree that you have to have stuff learnt off for the exam; all I went in with was general vocab on everything and a reasonable knowledge of the texts....hope it was enough!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

snap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mrs. hamlet

mixed feelings on the irish paper!
    v. pissed about ruraiocht, had only learned that and ogham and gluaiseanna in the car in the morning so not happy but it is worth f*k all anyways!
    anyone notice they didn't say 3 points is enough like they usually do?
    the prose was lovely! part b of gafa v. general and easy!
    Fiosracht mhna...no probs!
    was v. surprised to see treall as compulsory q in pass poems, was certain it would b faoilean..!
    urchnoc chein mhic cainte... v. predictable, nice question!
    not happy with the maidhc dainin q, thought part b was difficult as you were expected to talk about racism and stuf! i did part a which wasn't too bad but alot of my class didn't understand the question!
    Just really happy irish is finally over!!

Advertisement