Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper 2 HL

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

i did maidhc part a too
    loved it!!
    jus wrote bout how independent he was,thought of tons of stuff (even tho i hadnt revised it at all at all!!), and his love of his parish
    (tell me thats what the question meant!!dear god please let me have answered it right!!)
    if that was the question twas only gorgeous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hellsbells

bout how much did everyone write?! i'm a bit freaked i didnt write enough for the filíocht! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Shinny-dee

very pissed about ruraiocht but dats it!!wohoo irish over (till september i is doin it in colly) wat did does lines in urchnoc mean .....hair???seems like such a waste killin meself for two yrs...well weeks an all for 30% grrrrr.pretty pleased overall but maths Ordinary n home ec less said d better!!tips for geog anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Bright Smile

could anyone tell me what the Clann Lir question actually meant? i CANT BELIEVE i answered a q that i didnt really understand in my REAL LEAVING CERT!!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

rosa wrote:
    You could have included it as evidence that Maidhc was loyal to his native country and culture, etc. I did this question but mostly dealt with his independence and only wrote a paragraph or two on ceol.
    Anyone find the prose questions in A) hard to write about? Could only manage a page and a bit on Fisoracht Mhná, is that too short?
    Bear in mind that I have very big writing.
    i said that the fact he got a job as a musician in the us and london was both to do with his loyalty to irish values and his independance.
    thought it was a lovely paper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Shinny-dee

could anyone tell me what the Clann Lir question actually meant? i CANT BELIEVE i answered a q that i didnt really understand in my REAL LEAVING CERT!!!!! :eek:

somethin t do wit magic and its effect on human feelings are what makes clann lir a bealoideas or how magic makes human feelings n dat makes it a b story...nilim ró cinnte!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

was v. surprised to see treall as compulsory q in pass poems, was certain it would b faoilean..!
    Well everyone had been saying that Faoileán wouldn't come up because Michael Davitt is a paedophile, I guess they may have been right?
    Shinny-dee wrote:
    wat did does lines in urchnoc mean .....hair???
    With your pearly hair, beloved of poets
    Your welcome is doubled
    (I have no idea what that even means in English... But it's only worth 1%, so I won't lose much for my crappy explanation)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

Fishie, my translation of those lines would be:
    "Oh curly-haired woman, poets' secret,
    Who is doubled over with joy and welcome"

...but it is open wide to interpretation!

I thought that Paper was brilliant! Everything I had studied in the Prós came up, and my favourite poems (I don't mean favourite as in best to write about, I mean I really like them) did too. They did break the pattern by ommitting the Ruraíocht, but people: if you had studied enough stuff on Stair you would have had plenty to answer on! This always happen when people expect a pattern and become complacent. (I had studied Ogham, na Bardscoileanna and Na Gluaiseanna the night before, so I was grand!)

I did the first Gafa question and the second MD question. Someone asked about length: I did 3.25 pages for the 35 marks of Úrchnoc Chéin Mhic Cáinte, but only 2 pages for the 40 marks of Maidhc Dainín. I think the old maxim "quality, not quantity", applies here. (Does it ever not when it comes to the LC?)

Overall I am really, really happy with this paper. I am near-fluent in Irish though, and I think the wording of some questions (Clann Lir, MD, Úrchnoc) was not very clear to weaker students.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

for various stupid reasons (switched classes, thought it wasn't coming up) I have never in my entire life read Gafa.

I know a kid takes drugs and a husband has an affair...from that i wrote 1 A4 page slating it, saying it was unrealistic and all happened too quickly and definitely wasn't a good portrayal of a family falling apart.

would anyone agree with my sentiments?

I reckon i got about 5 or 6 marks of the 15 for that bull****... Really wish i'd had notes on it to get a vague idea of some names and stuff

(I also got ****ed on Stair..but I knew ogham and gluaiseanna pretty well and a few points on Caitlin and Mairead. probably about 17/30 overall :confused:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Rredwell wrote:
    Fishie, my translation of those lines would be:
    "Oh curly-haired woman, poets' secret,
    Who is doubled over with joy and welcome"

...but it is open wide to interpretation!

I thought that Paper was brilliant! Everything I had studied in the Prós came up, and my favourite poems (I don't mean favourite as in best to write about, I mean I really like them) did too. They did break the pattern by ommitting the Ruraíocht, but people: if you had studied enough stuff on Stair you would have had plenty to answer on! This always happen when people expect a pattern and become complacent. (I had studied Ogham, na Bardscoileanna and Na Gluaiseanna the night before, so I was grand!)

I did the first Gafa question and the second MD question. Someone asked about length: I did 3.25 pages for the 35 marks of Úrchnoc Chéin Mhic Cáinte, but only 2 pages for the 40 marks of Maidhc Dainín. I think the old maxim "quality, not quantity", applies here. (Does it ever not when it comes to the LC?)

Overall I am really, really happy with this paper. I am near-fluent in Irish though, and I think the wording of some questions (Clann Lir, MD, Úrchnoc) was not very clear to weaker students.

Yeah those lines werea bit tricky, he was basically praising her beauty (hair) and personality (that's what I wrote neway...) I think the "rún na héigéise" bit was a ref tto himself and manus macardle fighting over her...but of course I never thought to write that down!

Actually I thought the Urcnoc ques was very open to interpretation and would have been nice for weaker people because it was so general, also the fiosracht mhná question was lovely and made up for the clann Lir one. Don't do MD. Thought an Triall was nice; everyone will surely be able to write something on either of the questions they were so open...

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

length of answer is always my biggest worry in exams. up til sixth year I died a thousand deaths in english because I absolutely could not write an answer for anything longer than a page. in irish, even a page on anything except poetry is a real stretch. thank jebus poetry gets the most marks on pII, it's my best question by far. I struggled to write one page each on gafa and maidhc fewkin' dainín, although I think I managed at least 500 words on the essay/debate... never did a debate before though, so I was a bit worried I'd gotten the format wrong or something.

if I were to do my leaving over(here's hoping I won't), I think I'd make a point to actually go over the próscteacs breise the day before the exam. I hadn't even glanced at it for weeks, so I went in to the exam pretty nervous. managed to waffle through it okay though, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

scorpy wrote:

if I were to do my leaving over(here's hoping I won't), I think I'd make a point to actually go over the próscteacs breise the day before the exam. I hadn't even glanced at it for weeks, so I went in to the exam pretty nervous. managed to waffle through it okay though, I think.

Same! I had vocab and stuff but I couldn't remember the names of the characters.....for an awful moment I thought I'd totally forgotten the name of the lead male in it....AHHHHHHHH! but it came back to me. Thank God!!!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

I thought it fair as well nothing too hard.

I didn't bother with them 20marc poetry questions i was looking at them but couldn't even get my head around them but then again i didn't study for any of it. I did the whole exam from what I had learnt in class.

I looked at the first page and said oh no i can't do them so i flew to the back to do what i had learnt the ogham gluaiseanna and ruraíocht but as u can imagine wasn't too happy. All I wanted though was as many marks as i could scrape off the paper.

When I saw the question on Gafa i said what is this I never did this story and then it hit me it was the one about the drugs. I did the second one on gafa i think about how the family is falling apart.
    I done clann lir and said about how Aoife was jealous about how Lear loved his kids and she used magic to change them into swans. Then how the Dearg or whatever his name is changed her into an air demon because he was angry with what she did.

I didn't do brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but i done a lot more then i was planning on so hopefully nothing to shocking. Got 56% in mocks with a mock Oral so hopefully should get a bit more then that. Hoping for a c1 or there abouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mrs. hamlet

Fishie wrote:
    Well everyone had been saying that Faoileán wouldn't come up because Michael Davitt is a paedophile, I guess they may have been right?

Seriously? :eek:

Anyways, did those lines mean he loved her hair and that she was the love of the poet's? (i don't know where i got that from) and that he loved her personality aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Seriously?

Anyways, did those lines mean he loved her hair and that she was the love of the poet's? (i don't know where i got that from) and that he loved her personality aswell?

Yes and yes

you know for filiocht na bardscoileanna in stair

all i had learned was scoil na bardscoileanna
    so basically i waffled on about the schools
    mentioned the kinda poems these buckos did agus sin é

do you guys think thats enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I wrote about the Dán Díreach, who wrote the poems, what they learned in the schools, and some ****e about the poems being recited accompanied by a harp.

the ****e will def bring you up to an a!
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mrs. hamlet

Fook, 4 filiocht na mbard i said they wrote tri rainn agus amhran! That v. wrong isn't it? I had only learned ogham/gluaiseanna and ruraiocht! Had to do some serious improvisation! Even though if i had been clever i would have done bealoideas and used the features from clann lir! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

I did bealoideas and went on about clann lir and seanchaí. of course I had no idea about any of it ^_^ I only studied rúraíocht and barely at that, so I just made up things about bealoideas and whatever that other one was. amhrán, I think. well I wrote about the amhrán grá for that so I guess it applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Does NO OTHER school in the country still do Peig???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 DinnyC

*marie* wrote:
    Does NO OTHER school in the country still do Peig???

Yeah we do Péig..well kind of anyway our teacher just gave us notes onit.i read the english version of it, it's such a borin book it's full of wierd sayings..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 im in bits

Did any1 do the 2nd question on A Thig na Thit Orm?? because that was our novel and half the class interperted it as the social activities (i.e. racism) and the other half took it as the social activities (i.e. the dances,the pubs etc) which was it or would either do?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

as far as i remember it was coras sosialta as in the social system.

I definetly took it up as racism. PRove me wrong, i did the other question.

in the second q of this i have a bit of a question... Half my class interpeted the social activities as racism etc while the others took it as music,dances etc.

sorry i didnt realise that was already up ..... Im in bits i took it as social activities i talked about him playing in pubs+them travelling accross the city 2 the 1 "irish pub" and i knew all the other stuff so well and i struggled so hard because i took this interpetation!!!!!!!!!1 :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

I took it up as racism. Its the only thing it could have been in my opinion.

Advertisement