Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone else think the new Batman Suit looks crap?

• 10-06-2005 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

The cloak seems to be a different material from the suit,(looks like velvet or something).
    The headpiece seems to be detached from the rest of the suit.
    The utility belt is very yellow and high on the waist and the fake pecs and six pack are a little Joel Schumacher.
    And theres no prominent Bat symbol, only a black batish symbol but its not really that notacable,but its the bat symbol that batman traditionally uses to instil fear in people.
    Also,as previous betman films, with all the ruber batman appears to be very restricted in movement by the suit.

TBH I was expecting more of a "Batman Year 1" or a "Dark Night Returns" feel to this film when I heard Christopher Nolan was attached to direct but I think its probably going more the way of the previous 4(or 5?) films judging from the couple of clips I saw.

(I do think the new batmobile is way cool tho)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think it looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

think it looks great myself, also the reason the batsymbol on the chest is black is the costume designer decdied a yellow symbol make it stand out when batman is trying to use stealth tactics. so black was the colour. Also the guy who designed the suit also did the suits in the films past from 1989 Keaton suit to the Clooney suit so he knows what he was doing.

How cool is the tumbler though. now thats a batmobile to be proud of.

Aye...you have to remember that with this film everything is supposed to be as real as possible. His suit is made from real body armour used in combat. The chest peice is black for stealth reasons. If you were a superhero and were to actually make a costume for yourself you would have to have a seperate helmet piece otherwise you wouldnt be able to look to the sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

True,true. I just loved the look of the traditional suit in the comics but probly wouldnt have transfered to film that well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

In the Dark Knight Returns comic Batman explained the reason for the yellow bat symbol. He put it there so if someone did shoot at him they would aim at his chest, that was armoured, and not at his face, which wasn't armoured.

I'm not a big fan of this batsuit either... it looks far to restrictive... Batman should have lightning fast reflexes and be able to move around with ease.

I actually like the cloak though, it's nice and long.

But the thing that bugs me the most is the way they paint his eyelids and around his eyes black. It's really annoying in the other films, especially when he takes the mask off and he has no black on his eyes.

oh well.. at least it doesn't have nipples on it...

• Advertisement

Yea,the black eye shadow is a funny one,who knew batman is able to achieve that smokie effect,eh? most women cant get that look quite right.
    I suppose otherwise the headpiece would look a little ballyclavaish

In the Dark Knight Returns comic Batman explained the reason for the yellow bat symbol. He put it there so if someone did shoot at him they would aim at his chest, that was armoured, and not at his face, which wasn't armoured.

I'm not a big fan of this batsuit either... it looks far to restrictive... Batman should have lightning fast reflexes and be able to move around with ease.

I actually like the cloak though, it's nice and long.

But the thing that bugs me the most is the way they paint his eyelids and around his eyes black. It's really annoying in the other films, especially when he takes the mask off and he has no black on his eyes.

oh well.. at least it doesn't have nipples on it...

Thats a pretty silly reason for a yellow chestpiece. Why would someone shoot at a metal piece of armour on his chest ? just because its yellow ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I suppose if it was pitch black and all i could see was a moving yellow chestpiece then, yeah, id shoot at it.

But then, i guess, why have a bright yellow target on yourself at all if you were trying to remain unseen in the dark...

:confused:

SofaKing wrote:
    I suppose if it was pitch black and all i could see was a moving yellow chestpiece then, yeah, id shoot at it.

But then, i guess, why have a bright yellow target on yourself at all if you were trying to remain unseen in the dark...

:confused:
    Well... if the yellow target wasn't there you'd shoot at his face. I guess he should probaly were a full mask then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Like a full armoured mask...

Or even an armoured suit...like in the new film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Doesn't really bother me tbh. I just hope its a great movie.

Just be grateful its not 10103848.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Yeah it doesn't look great, the cape and headpiece are definitely the worst part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

TBH I like the new suit. I like the way the spikes coming out of the arms are now metal and not some crapy rubber. I think over all the suits looks good. Better than the last two that is for sure. Then there is the Belt. I think it is high up on the waste for leg movement (IE: If he is crouching down it be hard to do with a matalic belt on.

Oh and Pure West Babeh :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Only problem I have with the new suit is that it looks restrictive, but people who have seen the film say thats not a problem and Batman is a quick mother****er. Other than that I think it looks better than the other ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Someone said some of the inspiration for it was taken from a wetsuit... that kind of durable rubber look, but it does look a bit hard to move in... should be like the classic batman material but a little tougher obviously... although the intimidating batman look has always been a bit static.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

empire magazine have a great article on it this month-u should check it out. it explains the reasons for every detail on the suit, and i gaurantee you'll like the costume better after reading it-i know i did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Griffon

I think having a new Batman movie is silly altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Griffon wrote:
    I think having a new Batman movie is silly altogether!
    For what reason? If you're not a Batman fan, what does it matter to you? If you are, surely you have to be in favour of them doing something to erase the damage Schumacher did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

i think it looks great kind of has a whole stealth ninja thing going on. I think superhero capes can never be viewed in the same way again after seen the Incredibles. but I still think the batman cape looks very cool in the Posters. probaly some of the best movie posters I ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I think it looks great...its the Superman one people should be worried about! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

I really like the suit myself but i do think the mask looks a bit dodgy

Apparently the cape is made of a memory material that stiffens when a current is passed through it and so allows batman to glide. Im not sure about batman gliding over the city,kinda regular superhero territory isn't it?

tvnutz wrote:
    I think it looks great...its the Superman one people should be worried about! :P
    I have no problem with the Superman outfit. At least it looks like he can move in the thing... he just has to be careful not to get an erection...

The Batman suit in the 1989 film weighed 70 lbs and this one doesn't look all that different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

the new suit is great, the article in empire really explains the idea behind it well, just seen it tonight in the cinema definitely the best batman by far, bale is excellent, he has that real batman look that i dont think any of the modern batmans posessed, and lets hope nolan sticks with the franchise as bale is signed up for another 2 movies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Just back from this, it was quality. Suit looks cool!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

The suit looks cool, the batmobile looks shíte.

Why fix something that ain't broken?

batwhl01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

The suit is allright but you don't get to see it all that much in any real detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

the jew wrote:

[IMG][/IMG]
    The "new" bat-mobile pwns and makes much more sense, what's more usefull to Batman, a sports-car ir a tank? also in Frank Miller's Dark Knight series the bat-mobile looked alot like the movie one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Fionn McCOOL

oxygen wrote:

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

went to it last night with the ladyfriend. i thought it was great, she didn't think it was all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

it looks like in some scenes katie holmes is wearing george clooneys one beneath her top.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

went to see it today, excellent movie - better than the 1989 Batman and Batman Returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

saw it the other day briallant cant believe they actually made a good batman movie after that last one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

IMO, it looked fantastic, with good rationale behind all the technology and gadgets.
    Except the microwave weapon. As a geek, that just made me flinch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BatThing

Hey i think the new batman skin lookz cooler than ever....i mean if u see any of the old bat movies u will clearly notice the difference.In those times they used to make a jumpsuit kind of thing but this days it looks more like an armour just as it is depicted in the original comics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

the jew wrote:

Are you taking the p1ss? The botmabile was is really cool and its all about realism in this film. Its a military vehicle that can actually do everything it does in the film. All the gadgets in this film are explained and are very realistic. The suit is fantastic and I love the way everything works unlike the old movies.

If anyone hasnt seen this movie yet go now!! Its absolutely brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

wow, I just saw the movie and I thought it sucked. I seem to be the only one.

well, at least they have a good batman, pity about the story, and the rediculous action, should have been callled Rambo Returns.
    I loved the tripping out scenes though, excellent stuff.
    Just as a whole, It didnt stick together. Started off promising and slowly lost it, pretty cheesy too at times.
    Overall not impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

definitely the best batman by far, bale is excellent, he has that real batman
    there'll only ever be one batman as far as i'm concerned!!!!!!
    10103848.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Kingp35 wrote:
    Are you taking the p1ss? The botmabile was is really cool and its all about realism in this film. Its a military vehicle that can actually do everything it does in the film. All the gadgets in this film are explained and are very realistic. The suit is fantastic and I love the way everything works unlike the old movies.

If anyone hasnt seen this movie yet go now!! Its absolutely brilliant
    Touche!!
    That is what missing from films these days is a sense of realism, especially from the comic adaptadtions. Batman did its best to really explain where everything came from.
    I'm glad the film took time to show the transition from rich kid to superhero. Lessons can be taken from this film for all other Marvel /DC films. Realism is better, even if it does take the guts of an hour to explain everything.

The 1989 Batman was my previous favorite, and IMO is still a great movie but Batman is never explained in it. Its a lighter, more fantastical aproach as opposed to the more realistic approcah taken by Nolan. Can not wait for the next installment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

sprinkles wrote:
    Touche!!
    That is what missing from films these days is a sense of realism, especially from the comic adaptadtions. Batman did its best to really explain where everything came from.
    I'm glad the film took time to show the transition from rich kid to superhero. Lessons can be taken from this film for all other Marvel /DC films. Realism is better, even if it does take the guts of an hour to explain everything..

true, but Ang Lee was slated for doing the same with The Hulk... saying that I don't think The Hulk has as much of an interesting story as Batman does, and so it's harder to pull off a long journey like in Batman.

I thought the movie was excellent, the suit was the best so far (as it was explained so well) and any dodgy moments in the script was hidden by some great direction and acting. By dodgy I mean cheesey lines, by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

I was never a real fan of the old films or of the comics (watched the old series tho :p )but i must say that i really really enjoyed this one.

Went in expecting more of the same pap and ended up really enjoying it. Looking forward to more of the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

I think it was a terrific film, really made up for Batmans previous outings (excluding Michael Keatons) which were just dire.
    It must have been a leap of faith for all concerned but what a triumph! Fantastic acting (excluding sideways face Katie Holmes), and skillful direction really raises the bar for future comic superheros to aspire to.
    I personally think all superhero suits are a bit wanky at the best of times and as far as suits go,this one wasnt too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Stifler

just saw batman today

amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pen0s

it was average

batman and batman returns were better imo. something about the look of the mask that i didnt like, just didnt fit right :/

extremly cheesy at times(and i dont mean that Balde cheesy thats strangly cool) the fight scenes seem to just jitter about and look ****. christian bale was good for the role and made it somewhat intresting.

scarecrow did nothing of intrest raz aghul had a predictable twist.the fact that they changed who killed his parents again just pissed me off

michael caine was cool as alfred, katie holmes is sexy!

thats my break-down lol

Pen0s wrote:
    it was average

batman and batman returns were better imo. something about the look of the mask that i didnt like, just didnt fit right :/

extremly cheesy at times(and i dont mean that Balde cheesy thats strangly cool) the fight scenes seem to just jitter about and look ****. christian bale was good for the role and made it somewhat intresting.

scarecrow did nothing of intrest raz aghul had a predictable twist.the fact that they changed who killed his parents again just pissed me off

michael caine was cool as alfred, katie holmes is sexy!

thats my break-down lol

They didnt change who killed the parents, thats how its supposed to happen. It was the first Batman movie that 'changed' it.

Tusky wrote:
    They didnt change who killed the parents, thats how its supposed to happen. It was the first Batman movie that 'changed' it.
    I concure.

flogen wrote:
    true, but Ang Lee was slated for doing the same with The Hulk... saying that I don't think The Hulk has as much of an interesting story as Batman does, and so it's harder to pull off a long journey like in Batman.

I thought the movie was excellent, the suit was the best so far (as it was explained so well) and any dodgy moments in the script was hidden by some great direction and acting. By dodgy I mean cheesey lines, by the way.
    I agree, I thought the hulk went about the story in the right way but the story itself was boring. I mean the hulk transforms due to an accident and hey presto: here's a green monster I made earlier but batman is cultivated over years and thus has a good background story to it. I did like what Ang Lee did with the hulk though, even if the story and script were kak.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

sprinkles wrote:
    I agree, I thought the hulk went about the story in the right way but the story itself was boring. I mean the hulk transforms due to an accident and hey presto: here's a green monster I made earlier but batman is cultivated over years and thus has a good background story to it. I did like what Ang Lee did with the hulk though, even if the story and script were kak.

hate to go OT, but I wish they'd make a sequal and let him direct, there are rumours they will, but there's no chance Ang Lee with get near it. And I think Bana has said no to it too. Shame, because there's still a great story to be told, the emotional struggle Hulk/Banner faces, and there would be no need for the huge build up... ah well!!

Advertisement