Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If there was to be an "Anthem" for every genre

• 10-06-2005 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

If there was to be an "Anthem" for every genre, what would be the Anthem for Rap/Hip-Hop?? Mine would probably be Ruff Ryders Anthem or Gangstas Paradise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

That Sugar Hill Gang Song For (hip Hop) Then Probably Something Like Eminem For Rap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Yea i suppose Rappers Delight or Grandmaster Flash - The Message could be classed as something like that.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

left coast -
    gin & juice - snoop,
    paparazzi - xzibit
    today was a good day - ice cube

right coast -
    hard knock life - jay z
    get a t me dog - dmx
    juicy - biggie
    last real ni99a alive - nas

down south -
    southern hospitality - ludacris
    rosa parks - outkast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Life's a Bitch was imo the perfect hip-hop song but i guess It was a good day and Nuthin but a G thang were more representive of hip-hop in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Ya Rappers Delight:Sugarhill Gang wud be mine for Hip-Hop 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ice2900

Express yourself or Gangstas Paradise

Ya Rappers Delight:Sugarhill Gang wud be mine for Hip-Hop 2

I'm sorry but how does a overrated pop song become the defining song of Hip-Hop(presuming thats your defintion of an anthem)?Rappers delight didn't have actual rappers and represents how to sell a song to the public.Its not Hip-Hop.

Express Yourself had Dre rapping(hardly a great rapper).Gangsta's Paradise was good but its still Coolio that made it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

probably Gansta's Paradise or maybe Lose Yourself - really like that song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

^^^ oh good jaysus...

KRS-ONE 'South Bronx'
    "The real Rock Steady takin out these toys..."

Klimseven wrote:
    ^^^ oh good jaysus...

oh good jaysus what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

oh good jaysus you chose 'Lose Yourself' as hip hop's anthem...you do the math

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

No ones mentioned Naughty by Nature - Hip Hop horay
    while it's not the greatest song ever, its surely one of the best contenders for Anthem.
    It's be that, Rappers Delight or The Message for me.

also, i dont usually poke fun at the teeny-hoppers but "Lose yourself", wtf, thats a terrible choice even if you had to pick only from songs released in this decade.

okay, sorry.. just like that song. I'm sure if I had thought 'bout it I'd have chosen another song but that's what came to mind at the time..

haha, no need to apologise, its your opinion, just beware of people jumping down your throat for eminem fanship, dont react to baiting and you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Nothing wrong with loose yourself its one of his best songs imo.

Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince - Summertime is a great summer anthem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I'm sorry but how does a overrated pop song become the defining song of Hip-Hop(presuming thats your defintion of an anthem)?Rappers delight didn't have actual rappers and represents how to sell a song to the public.Its not Hip-Hop.
    ...blah...blah...blah...I'm so Hip Hop, your not....
    :rolleyes:

The Message probably. Public Enemy, Fight the Power springs to mind too.

Orizio wrote:

Express Yourself had Dre rapping(hardly a great rapper).Gangsta's Paradise was good but its still Coolio that made it.

what the hell are you talking about? seriously. you're saying the sugarhill gang, and every other rap artist who's done a take on that track arent real rappers, please go away and come back when you have a clue.

your two choices are wesss coassss gangsta anthems sure, but they wouldn't be anything close to being representative of all rap/hip hop.

what the hell are you talking about? seriously. you're saying the sugarhill gang, and every other rap artist who's done a take on that track arent real rappers, please go away and come back when you have a clue

This is hilarious.The Sugarhill gang were one hit wonders,created for money purposes and completely incomparible to dozens of rappers and rap groups since the 80's.If the first song to come into someones mind when talking about hip-hop is rappers delight then they must have slept on Heron,Rakim and Eric B,NWA,Wu,Nas,AZ,Cormega,Ice Cube,Roots,Snoop Dogg,Dead prez,EPMD,GZA,Raekwon... :rolleyes:
    your two choices are wesss coassss gangsta anthems sure, but they wouldn't be anything close to being representative of all rap/hip hop.

I said Life's a Bitch was the perfect hip-hop song and i don't remember AZ and Nas being west coast gangster rappers.Nuthin but a g thang and It was a good day were excellent anthems and pretty representative of hip-hop even if i'm not a big west coast fan.

Something like I know you got soul,Regulate and Stillmatic are good anthems as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

10 that might be worthy-some have been mentioned already

Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five-The Message
    Eric B & Rakim-I know You Got Soul
    NWA-Express Yourself
    Afrika Bambataa & The Zulu Nation-Planet Rock
    A Tribe Called Quest-Can I Kick It? (just one of many such early 90s joints)
    Biz Markie-Nobody beats the Biz
    Run DMC-Peter Piper
    LL Cool J-Rock the Bells
    EPMD-You Gots to Chill/So What Ya Sayin
    SugarHill Gang-Rappers Delight (took it global, by no means the first or best or most original, but a track that broke rap onto radio and in the clubs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

It could be argued that Hip-Hop has now become so diverse that the many diverse, often conflicting, sections of Hip-Hop can not all be summed up by one song. However, the one thing they do have in common, is self expression and the first track to actually deal with the real gritty issues in the ghetto was Grandmaster Flash with The Message.

Although I do think that Straight Outta Compton was one of the first tracks to bluntly state "f*ck you" which represents a large swalthe of Hip-Hop today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nas - Halftime
    Gangstarr - The Militia
    Ice Cube - Today was a good day
    NWA - Express yourself
    Jay Z - Jigga What
    Slick Rick - Bedtime stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Seaneh wrote:
    Nas - Halftime
    Gangstarr - The Militia
    Ice Cube - Today was a good day
    NWA - Express yourself
    Jay Z - Jigga What
    Slick Rick - Bedtime stories

i think hard knock life would be more of a hip hop anthem than jigga what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

well hip-hop isn't really about hardship, that's one of its themes. i reckon the genre's main theme isnt just the rags but the rags to riches in predominantly black american communities...

My ten...
    NWA - Straight Outta Compton
    Run DMC- Rock Box
    Jay-Z- Dirt Off Your Shoulders ("The Streets" with R Kelly should also get consideration)
    Eminem- Yellow Brick Road
    Grandmaster Flash- The Message
    Ice Cube- Check Yo'Self
    Puff Daddy- Public Enemy 2000
    Dr Dre- Still DRE
    Chingy- I Do
    Snoop Dogg- Ain't No Fun (If The Homies Can't Have None)

Advertisement