Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scenes that freaked you out as a kid?

• 10-06-2005 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭

Watching Hallowe'en 3 the other night (sorry), I was reminded how much that insects-inside-the-head scene freaked me out as a kid.

What scenes (from any movies) do you remember as being disturbing when you were a kid?

A few more of mine include:

- Willy Wonka (the tunnel sequence with the millipede crawling across someones face)
    - Goonies (the first look at Sloths face)
    - Nightmare on elm street (someone being pulled into a mattress and spat out in a fountain of blood)

Obviously I shouldn't have been looking at N.O.E.S. at that age, but what kid doesn't want to look at 18s movies? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

TmB wrote:
    - Nightmare on elm street (someone being pulled into a mattress and spat out in a fountain of blood)

Haha, that was Johnny Depp. Classic scene.

Ones that freaked me out were:
    - The head with the eye missing under water in Jaws (1)
    - The witch who can change her heads in Return to Oz and the "wheelers" in that
    - When E.T. nearly died and turned all white. That really upset me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

good idea.

-The box from hellraiser used to scare the **** out of me
    - Willy Wonka (the tunnel sequence with the millipede crawling across someones face)
    - Goonies (the first look at Sloths face)
    -Jabba the hut & Yoda used to terrify me as a small kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

koneko wrote:
    - When E.T. nearly died and turned all white. That really upset me.
    Ditto.

Also a scene in one of the "critters" (sp?) movies - i cant remember the lead up to the scene too well now but I think the attack this guy, he jumps up onto a chair to get away from them and they eat through the chair legs and then get him when he hits the ground.

Off Topic :
    Found the goonies on DVD the other day, had to buy it - oh the memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SnotNosedGit

The foot on the back of the head scene in American History X

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

edward scissorhands!
    saw it when i was 7 (went to see it because teenage mutant ninja turtles was sold out!). freaked me out big time, had nightmares about it for weeks! i realise now what a good film it was:)

also, flisht of the navigator. weak, i know. there's a bit when he's in the ship for the first time and he touches some jar, and some weird creature in the jar moves and makes a noise. yikes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Salem's Lot when the kid hovers outside the window..."open the window", scared the bejasus out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Murphy's death sene in Robocop....(Still scares me)
    Can't really think of anymore....but that wolf in the neverending story was a mean looking son of a bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Ill have to aggree with nachos, any scene that had edward scissorhands scared the shot out of me. Still havent watched that film since so cant comment on how good it is!

Adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

OH and tremors .... the scene where the girl is playing on the pogo stick wearing headphones and you can see the worm thing going for her ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Watched a mad horror film called Susperia(sp?) when i was a kid and remember a part when a Dog ripped out the throat of a blind man. puts the ****s up me to this day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Don't remember the Willy Wonka scene freaking me out in perticular. It was freaky, but also really cool I thought.

The scene from Ghostbusters 2 where the baby gets snatched from his/her bed by some ghost scared the bejesus out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Child's Play - that Chucky was evil!! Even his voice... It's mad the way its an 18's cert yet most people have seen it before they're 12!

There's a film with Robert Mitchum called 'The Night Of The Hunter' where a preacher follows these kids and tries to kill them. And he humms/sings this tune that is bloody frightening. Made in 1955, my dad put it on for me one day.. gives me the creeps even now.

Watched The Witches recently. Was never scared of it as a child but the scene where the grand High Witch takes off her mask/wig/gloves. Sh'e disgusting looking. URgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I must show my nephews Dylan Moran's death scene in Shaun of the Dead...

T-b0n3 wrote:
    Ill have to aggree with nachos, any scene that had edward scissorhands scared the shot out of me. Still havent watched that film since so cant comment on how good it is!

Adam
    edward Scissorhands is my favorite film of all time. Just brillant. I love the style of Tim Burton films and you just wouldnt think it was Johnny Depp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

everytime bill bixbys eyes went white while he was changing into the hulk used to freak me sideways :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Damien, look at me! I love you! It's all for you!

need i say more....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

garred wrote:
    Salem's Lot when the kid hovers outside the window..."open the window", scared the bejasus out of me.

Bingo. That scene had me crying like a little boy(which I was) when I saw it.
    Close second was when the undertaker goes down into the grave to see what the scratching in the coffin is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

still dont know why to this day, but when i was a young kid, I remember i freaked when I was up the cinema watching Big Foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

garred wrote:

DaBreno wrote:
    Bingo. That scene had me crying like a little boy(which I was) when I saw it.
    Close second was when the undertaker goes down into the grave to see what the scratching in the coffin is.

Same here for both of those. :eek:

Also when the master ignores the cross and kills the priest. Not fair. Theres rules you know.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

All of the above pretty much!

Pirhana (sp?) - when the old dude is sitting with his legs in the river and thn the river turns red and he pull his legs out and there just bone. I was 7.

Those two little girls in The Shining still get me every time

Poltergist - when he rips his face apart (maggots/steak bit)

Poltergist 2 - when he pukes up the giant maggot

The Thing - Spider head scene

Missing in Action - When the photographer gets his head blown off in slow mo

Loads more. Got away with watching anything when I was a sprog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Goodshape reminded me of one from Ghostbusters. The scene where Slimer is stuffing his face at the buffet cart and he turns and charges Bill Murray (I think).

Oh yeah Ghostbusters 2 with your man in the painting!!

And forgot about Darby O Gill and the little people.. the headless horseman and the banshee!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

dont know the film...

it was a black and white film and this little girls fingers got choped off while standng by a window( the window closed of her fingers)

Not technically a movie, but the "here, mousey mousey" scene and the alien baby scene in V were disturbing at the time. (Saw them again a few years ago and they were laughable!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ekelly

Pet Cemetary. The older sister, Zelda, who has some sort of disease. Oh, the horror!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Alot of scenes in The Brood freaked me out as a kid... The bit in the loft when all the brood suddenly jump off their bunk beds in particular.

Oh.. and lots of scenes in Watership Down... Like when all the rabbits get burried alive and any scene with the Black Rabbit of Death.

ekelly wrote:
    Pet Cemetary. The older sister, Zelda, who has some sort of disease. Oh, the horror!!!!
    Oh yes. That was very creepy. About the best thing in the film.

When i was around 10 or 11, there was a mini tv series, on ITV I think, about World War II and the nazis etc. On a Sunday night.

It followed the lives of a (American?) Jewish family. It was horrible. It showed the gasing chambers, the big pits where they threw all the naked dead people into it. They shaved off the hair of the wife when in the concentration camp. They showed her father being carried along a conveyor belt and being burned. Her husband was in the army fighting the war. She survived and met up with her husband in the end.

It really affected me watching that (thanks Dad) and I have a fear of the Nazis coming back and killing us all!! Stupid I know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

yeh two girls in The Shining and The Exorcist when you see her face for the first time and green piercing eyes perring through the darkness at you yikes!

Although the puppets in Thunderbirds used to freak me out when i was younger, just didnt look quite right?!!?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Alot of the scenes from IT really freaked me out as a kid. I think I was only about 7 when I saw it and got really freaked out by clowns after that.

Also from critters (i think), there is a scene with a guy getting out of bed. His legs are over the edge, and one of them shoots a dart at him. After taht I had to check over the side of the bed before would put my feet out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 PatrickStar

When Frodo and Sam kiss in Lord of the Rings. I mean when they nearly kiss!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 M&MsGer

When I was little "The V" scared the bejesus out of me, when the aliens pulled off their skin and they were made of green jelly stuff.
    Also, the music film for Ah-Ha's "Take me on" song. The whole idea of this guy coming out of a comic strip freaked me out.

Teenwolf!

SCARRRYYY!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

That scene in Rodger Rabbit when the bad guy turns out to be a toon, gets roled over by a steam roler and then blows himself up using an oxygen container. I'm serious, that freaked me out, I thought it was supposed to be a childs movie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

koneko wrote:
    Nice - another one that used to terrify me. That whole film is just so dark and not cool for kids. Have you seen the DVD cover? Doesn't represent the rest of the movie at all.

For me:
    * The arm wrestling scene in the Fly. Tied with the puking/leg-melting scene in the same movie.
    * The child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

• Advertisement

juno75 wrote:
    Poltergist 2 - when he pukes up the giant maggot
    Christ yes.
    Actually, Kane from Poltergeist 2 still scares the holy hell out of me.

mfog2.jpg

GOD IS IN HIS HOLY TEMPLE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭samo

Somebody already mentioned IT ....was petrified of clowns (and Tim curry) for a long time after that!

Also Aranchophobia....still have to check my shoes for killer spiders to this day....funnily enough one of my kids watched this recently and is still having the odd nightmare about a huge spider appearing out of a dolls face...the irony :rolleyes:

Last one, was Jason and the argonauts...something to do with skeletons in it I vaguely remember ala pairates of the Caribbean!!

koneko wrote:
    It really was a very dark movie, wasn't it?

I don't think I've ever been to the cinema and seen so many children taken out screaming and crying. And Dorothy ended up being the skanky girlfriend who has sex with her boots on in American History X.

The only time I had to be taken out of the cinema as a kid was actually with Watership Down. The cinema was actually the Stardust though and it burned down that very night.

I don't think I've ever been to the cinema and seen so many children taken out screaming and crying. And Dorothy ended up being the skanky girlfriend who has sex with her boots on in American History X.
    I dunno, I kinda have a boner for Fairuza Balk in that movie. And Almost Famous, too.

• Advertisement

Another one.... the heart ripping scene in Temple of Doom. How the hell did that make a PG movie? :)

TmB wrote:
    Another one.... the heart ripping scene in Temple of Doom. How the hell did that make a PG movie? :)
    It didn't, it got cut out over here.
    And it was one of the first movies in America to get the "PG-13" rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Back around when i was 10ish, around 1990, they had Aliens on the TV, first time i has seen one of these movies.

So it comes to scene where the soldiers are down below at the power plants where the 'dead' colonists were...

Only....one of them, a woman, wasn't so dead, yep, she was alive :eek: and asked the soldiers to kill her. Wtf? Of course then the Alien proceeded to burst out of her chest!

Anyways long story short, i was in tears for days, wouldnt let anyone come near me, bar my mum :o (God bless her)

The scene still gives me the willies to this day.

In the Goonies when Chunk does the "Truffle Shuffle". But he made up for it in the end by becoming friends with "Sloth". What a film! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Fafnyr

That scene in 'An American Werewolf in London' where the werewolf was running around the streets scared the crap out of me.

Also Salems Lot and IT made going to sleep hard, I was lying there expecting Pennywise or a vampire to burst in the door. :(

Larianne wrote:

Awsome! Can't wait for Halloween!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

An old film called "Troll". Scared the **** out of me. Especially when it possesses some guy's sister and she/it wolfs down a cheeseburger (she could have choked!).

Another one, "The Peanut Butter Solution", where IIRC, a kid becomes so scared after seeing a ghost in the attic of a haunted house, that his hair starts growing rapidly. So much so that he was getting a trim while in class. Can't remember much else, apart from the exterior of the house, which was hella creepy.

Lastly, I think the film was "House", not sure. There was a character who had a voice-box he used to speak with, a gangland boss type who used to cough up some chunky looking phlegm all the time. In one particularly nasty scene, he made another guy drink it, who subsequently began phleming up all the time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Most of these mentioned already

Salems lot - the 'window scene' the scene with the blue nosferatu style guy at the very end. I reckon I was about 9 when I saw that film. Too young really!

Jaws - Quint getting eaten by the shark

DarbyOGill - The banshee scenes

Company of Wolves - party scene where all the guests are dress in victorian garb and turn into wolves

V - The scene where Daniel Bernstein is dragged away screaming to a 'serving planet'. Ironically I only realised lately when I bought the DVD that he was to be put ON a 'Serving PLATTER' which I guess is even worse. :)

Jason Argonauts - the Harryhausen skeletons with cutlasses

Raiders of the Lost Ark - the bit where the big german guy gets chopped up by the propellor blades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Child's Play - I'm pretty sure that movie scarred much much of my childhood. Couldn't stand being in a room with dolls after that. I also went through a long period of checking the boot and under the seats of the car before getting in.

IT - Never should have watched this as a child. That clown just freaked me out. And the baloon under the door. AGGGGGGGGHHHHH.

I think it was called FX or something like that. Anyway the main uy is some kind of inventor and he had this clown... nuff said really.

Wizard of Oz - witch that could switch heads and those guys with wheels on their arms and legs and the big talking rock thing. Come to think of it, a lot of that movie freaked me out.

I remember being slightly freaked out at parts of the Neverending story too. Not sure what it was exactly. Something to do with stealing dreams I think. I don't know, that movie was so crap I must have blocked it out of memory.

Labyrinth - that room that was all ****ed up with stairs going upside down etc. David Bowie also freaked me out in that movie.

Not sure exactly what movie I'm thinking of but I think it was the princess bride (maybe). It had a cyclops in it. And there was a scene with quick sand (that freaked me out) and a scene with a giant spider thing (also freaked me out). At the end I think the hero fights this blob of a thing with some sort of boomerang. The blob also freaked me out. Anyone know what movie I'm thinking of?

Critters - That was scary **** when I was 10.
    Alien - Ditto
    Terminator - Ditto

Edit: Just read back through some scene metioned already.
    Ghostbusters II - The guy in the painting.
    Poltergeist - I can only remember that scene in the bedroom when everything starts getting sucked into some sort of vortex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Master of the universe. The three henchmen guys scared the **** out of me. One of them was a werewolf and one was called 'Blade' I think.socializing

• Advertisement
Advertisement