Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scenes that freaked you out as a kid?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

nachos wrote:
    edward scissorhands!
    saw it when i was 7 (went to see it because teenage mutant ninja turtles was sold out!). freaked me out big time, had nightmares about it for weeks! i realise now what a good film it was:)
    Yeah, that's the first film to ever scare me. 3 scenes in it freaked me out:
    • The scene with the waterbed.
    • The scene where he's cutting the ice sculpture and he cuts her hand.
    • The scene where he kills the guy (:eek:).

Great film :D.

BrookieD wrote:
    Watched a mad horror film called Susperia(sp?) when i was a kid and remember a part when a Dog ripped out the throat of a blind man. puts the ****s up me to this day
    Man, that film stands out as a gory one. Brilliant. Gory in the beginning, not that much in the middle and then very gory at the end. Sweet!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

A lot covered already here: Ditto on the heart in 'Temple of Doom' - I went so far as to pretend to practice it on my sister to freak her out :)

Also 'Candyman' - when Helen goes into the car park and the ghostly voice goes "Helen. Helllleeen" and there's a weird cut to her lying up in a blood-soaked room.

Poltergeist - When Carol Anne is trapped in the TV and the voice has a weird reverb effect as she goes "Moommmmyyyy".

Poltergeist II - Not just the worm bit but even more so the freaky-ass Preacher singing his freaky song as he strolls past the house: "God is in his holy temple. God is in.. His holy Den!"

IT - But of course. It really seems to have destroyed clowns for an entire generation - well done Mr. Curry!

Salem's Lot - Ditto on the creepy kid going "Let me in!" tap tap tap "Let me in!" I used to do an impression of that too for my sister's comfort :p

Gremlins - When they first hatch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Bacchus wrote:
    Not sure exactly what movie I'm thinking of but I think it was the princess bride (maybe). It had a cyclops in it. And there was a scene with quick sand (that freaked me out) and a scene with a giant spider thing (also freaked me out). At the end I think the hero fights this blob of a thing with some sort of boomerang. The blob also freaked me out. Anyone know what movie I'm thinking of?
    That sounds like Krull. Someone was asking about it here only about 2 weeks ago actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Labyrinth, when the girl (babysitter) is trying to get the baby back, the stairs thing in it, and the weird monkehs that where chasing her lol.

wizard of oz, when dorethy is in the house thats inside the tornado and the witch is flying outside the window cackaling.

return of the living dead, need i say more lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

The scene with the Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and the scene in Big Trouble In Little China with the guy with the freaky eyes.
    And most of It, particularly the scene in the bathrrom and at the start with the boy in the yellow mac sailing his boat at the side of the road.
    The final scenes in Ringu, too.
    There was a film called Night of the Scarecrow, where a guy (who I think is a priest) has his mouth sewn closed. I didn't like that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

hmmm theres a few alright:

- ALL of Childs Play

- Heart scene in the Temple of Doom

- not sure what film it was but there was a scene where an old man was looking for this kid, and he was kneeling down and had no shoes on and the kids sliced his heel off.

- the clown scene in Poltergeist

im sure theres loads more but i cant think of them now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The quicksand scene in Krull for some reason.

Secret of Nimh was really dark for a cartoon and freaked me out.

The scene in Critters 2 when the form a huge ball, run over some guy and leave his skeleton.

I also saw Terminator 1 when I was far too young (about 6 maybe). Was on TV and accidently turned it on and watched it. The scene when the terminator pulls out his eye creeped me out.
    Jaws - Quint getting eaten by the shark

That one as well. It was the whole blood pouring from the mouth bit.

Didn't you just love that cousin who babysitted you and was also a horror movie freak and let you watch them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I remembered another one: Village Of The Damned when the kids force Kirsty Ally to cut open her own midsecion with a scalpul. That was cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Ursula in the Little Mermaid. And Independence Day freaked me the **** out.

• Advertisement

Can I stick in a Simpsons quote here?
    Milhouse wrote:
    "Did you see that movie where they send a nuclear submarine to fight the pirhanas, and one of them swims right down the periscope and bites the guy in the eye, and he goes, "Aah! Aah! Aah!", and that old lady told him it would happen?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Ok I haven't read the rest of this thread, but I promise I will later :D
    Anyway... the scene that freaked me out the most was from the movie Pet Cemetary (think it was a Stephen King novel) ... I don't remember it 100% clearly, but there was one part where this dead woman (think she was a bit handicapped) came back from the dead and started haunting one of the main charicters... all decomposed and f*cked up looking... when I think about it, the phrase that keeps coming back to me is "... and Gague and I, will get you..." ... I think Gague was some dead kid, their son or something.
    Spooked the shít out of me for years afterwards... any time I'd walk through a dark part of the house late at night, that's what I'd be scared of :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

ekelly wrote:
    Pet Cemetary. The older sister, Zelda, who has some sort of disease. Oh, the horror!!!!
    Ahaha, just started skimming through the thread there... yeah it was Zelda... <<shudder>>
    Man I saw that movie way too young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I have a few, I was easily traumatised as a kid!
    I think it was Stephen King's The Stand. The main bad guy (my memory is shoddy) had weird powers and the lead woman was cornered by him, she pulled out a gun and he turned it into a banana. He was freaky.
    Also, one of the Halloween's (can't remember which) led to..um...recurring nightmares :(
    And finally, I remember the cover of Predator 2 used to freak me out.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

When I was three or four one of my favourite films was Ghostbusters. Everyone knows the way kids will put on the same film 325 times a day, well Ghostbusters was mine. However there was one scene in it that used to repeatedly send me running or hiding behind the couch. The scene is at the very beginning when they go down to teh basement of the New York library and there is the woman librarian floating, anyone who knows the scene will knwo the rest.
    Even as I type this i am still looking around hoping that she is not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

All of Jaws freaks me out, even today. I've never seen all of the Witches. I read the book and then in first class we were shown the movie. I knew what was coming and the suspense was too much and I had to go to a different classroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

children of the corn part1 freaked me the fook out when the ground in the corn field started to move towards them ;o cant remember if i seen it on vhs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Krull - yup that's the one. The quicksand bit really freaked me out. There were a lot of other scenes that freaked me out in that too.

I had completely forgotten about the start of Ghostbusters. That freaked me out too. And the bit in the kitchen when all the eggs burst and the fridge opens with the demons inside.

There was another Stephen King movie (well it was a two part tv movie) where these people were trapped at an airport where nothing worked. Anyway the guy that went nuts and the strange invisible badguys that like to knock down stuff and made that noise freaked me out. Then when it turned out it was just big meatballs with teeth I laughed.

The Shining - watched this when I was about 7 with my two older cousins. I remember your one in the bath that turned all monster like and the two girls aswell and the river of blood. And lets not forget crasy man himself Jack Nickolson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

In Robocop 1 or 2, when the guy is getting cut open.
    And the little kid is made to watch. That freaked me right out.

Also, rememer ALF on tv? Well in one episode, there was a shadow of a spider or something on the wall, and shadow was MASSIVE.
    That freaked me out so much i ran out of the room. And my dad had to come downstairs to watch it with me hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Robocop...2 I think for me too. Where the guy gets melted? I think its 2.

Theres a scene that freaked me out for ages, but I never saw the full movie. I've never gotten around to finding out what movie it is. Hopefully someone can tell me. Theres a guy tied up in the back of a car, and hes tied to a shotgun thats aiming at his face. So if he moves the shotgun will go off. I think he sneezes or something in the end. Anyone know it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

DaBreno wrote:
    Bingo. That scene had me crying like a little boy(which I was) when I saw it.
    Close second was when the undertaker goes down into the grave to see what the scratching in the coffin is.

What about the scene where the guy is sitting downstairs holding the bible & the cross & hears the rocking chair upstairs & finds the vampire caretaker rocking it .... his eyes freaked me out :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Old black & white movie, where a man was kidnapped by a carraige (drawn by 4 horses), which then lifted off (like a plane). Also, there were banshee's in the film, and it was based in Ireland. T'was before I played Doom1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

the_syco wrote:
    Old black & white movie, where a man was kidnapped by a carraige (drawn by 4 horses), which then lifted off (like a plane). Also, there were banshee's in the film, and it was based in Ireland. T'was before I played Doom1.

Sounds like Darby O'Gill & the Little People ... if so, he wasn't kidnapped by the Coach de Bar [sp?? - my Irish is sh!te] ... he took his daughter's place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

LoneGunM@n wrote:
    Sounds like Darby O'Gill & the Little People ... if so, he wasn't kidnapped by the Coach de Bar [sp?? - my Irish is sh!te] ... he took his daughter's place.
    Aye, that sounds right. Damn corprate xmas parties. Same film 3 years in a row!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

The scene in Amistad when the slaves get chained together and thrown into the sea. Freaked me out and gave me nightmares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Micheal Jacksons Thriller scared the bejaysus outta me, still does. Not because it was scary, but that Micheal Jackson was in it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

at the end of the elephant man
    where he lays his head down and dies
    really disturbed me as a kid.

actually the whole movie did.

also the scene in Arachnophobia where they're in the house near the end and spiders start appearing from behind the tv etc

there's also a scene in the blob remake where a guy walks into a room and the blob is hiding above the door. that scared the crap out of me when i was younger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

The part in the Fly where he tears all his fingernails off! Ergh, had me wretching in front of the TV! Admittedly, I was like 17 when I watched this so it doesn't really apply :P Still freaks the poop out of me though

And pretty much everything that happened in Arachnaphobia. Especially where the two old people are on the couch and a spider crawls out of her nose! Or her mouth... or something, I seem to have blocked most of it out. And he had a spider in his helmet! And someone had one in his shoes too. Had me very nervous whenever I was getting dressed. I still periodically check my bed for giant spiders before I get into it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

American werewolf in London when the two guys were walking on the moor and the howling of the werewolf before they where attacked it still sends shivers up my spine.
    Another has to be the exorcist which I saw far to young was the bit when her head turned backwards, plus those two young girls in the shining still freak me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

not sure what film it was but there was a scene where an old man was looking for this kid, and he was kneeling down and had no shoes on and the kids sliced his heel off.
    Yup, Pet Sematary again. For me it was the two lads on the moors in American Werewolf in London, and also in that the chase scene in the London Underground. Children of the Corn also had its moments. But, as a kid, I was never as frightened as the nights I saw the original Salem's Lot. I remember RTÉ showed it over two successive nights. That scene with the vampire kid at the window...Jesus, I was thinking about that when I went to bed for months.

Sorry, SgtShaft, just see our similar posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

:eek: He's some that put the s**ts up my fragile infant mind....

E.T: When he goes all sick and is lying in the river like a white turd
    'The Witches': When they all start turning into rats
    'Ghostbusters': When the ghouls hands burst through the armcahir and molest Dana
    'Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade': When the really camp baddie drinks from the wrong grail and ages before our eyes
    'Jurassic Park': All of that bejaysus film. Gave me nightmares for a year and a half straight. No exaggeration.....

Course I love all these films now. 'Cept 'The Witches' which I haven't gotten around to seeing since. Is it even available on video/dvd anymore???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭snakeater

Goodshape wrote:
    Don't remember the Willy Wonka scene freaking me out in perticular. It was freaky, but also really cool I thought.

The scene from Ghostbusters 2 where the baby gets snatched from his/her bed by some ghost scared the bejesus out of me.

Yeah were the guy arrived with the pram. that was really freaky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭golfgirl

Raiders of Lost Ark - the end when the german's face melts and his glasses too

Tennis Court - some B movie horror, the court becomes possessed and a child whacks balls really hard

Jason & The Argonauts - still compulsive viewing .. when they've to row through the canal as the land closes in on them.

Black Narcissus - Nun goes evil, obsessive ..

The Fog - Another horror, if you get caught in the fog, you die.

The Triffids - freaky ...

V was some scary **** too, but you were so cool if you got to see it, didn't she give birth to an alien ... yikes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 PatrickStar

"BigFoot and the Hendersons". :eek:

Enough said!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I was super freaked out by Poltergeist when I was younger, especially when the guy pulls his own face off in front of the mirror
    Nightmare on Elm Street 3 (I think?) where a puppet at the end of a guy's bed turns into Freddie Kreuger, and Freddie then cuts veins out of the arms and legs of the boy and controlling where he walks, I think he makes him jump off a clocktower or something - but it was the veins bit that got me
    Event Horizon - the woman in the bath with no eyes, Sam Neill pulling out his own eyes, eeeeuggh it was horrible. I never saw the end, I couldn't watch it
    The Fly - a scene where he vomits on something and it melts, I can't really remember, I think I blocked it out. And did the woman in it give birth to a giant fly larva?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I remember my dad rented out Robocop when we first got a video recorder from xtra-vision in hartstown, he told me i couldnt watch it cos it twas 18's......HUH THE CHEEK!

So i got up real early the next morn and watched it, the bit that fuked me up was the scene where they cut yer mans chest open.......i wasnt right for a long time after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i was scared ****less of ghostbusters 2, especially the painting, and that dude yanosh (although after watching ally mcbeal i reckon its the actor more than the character)..

The banshee scene in d'arby o'gill

all of willy wonka

luke cutting of darth vaders head in "Empire"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I was amazed to see so many people who shared my scary moment of the kid hovering outside the window in Salem's Lot!

My other scary memory was staying up late on my own in the house to watch Race with the Devil which involved some holidaymakers being chased around the desert by a gang of Satinists. I was pleasantly surprised to find on IMDB that

1) there is a remake on the cards at present
    2) they have a link to a trailer available to refresh my memory - Won't sleep tonight either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

film_gonzo wrote:

E.T: When he goes all sick and is lying in the river like a white turd
    That scene scared the crap out of me as a kid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

the film of roald dahls "the witches" weird hairless square toed cows.

also the labyrinth. i never got those scarring pictures of david bowies crotch out of my head. aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Advertisement

I was just watching a bit of Superman 2 the other day and it reminded me of a bunch of bits in the Superman films that wigged me out...

Like Lois being buried alive in the first film.
    The 3 bad guys trapped in the phantom zone in the 2nd film.
    And worst of all the bit where the bad guys sister gets sucked into the super computer and turned into an evil robot in the third film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Zeppie

Newaglish wrote:
    The part in the Fly where he tears all his fingernails off!

OH YEH!! ....me too! Made me brother turn it off coz I cudnt watch it anymore

I was only like 8 tho :P

Lots of ppl are sayin that Return to Oz?? (I think) freaked them out? I loved that film! Every last second....wonder what that says about me :confused:

I cant think of anymore tho....ohh the scene in Freddie with the lips in that girls arms! The junkie...*shudder*

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Also from 'The Fly' - he gets into an arm wrestling contest and somehow snaps his opponent's wrist and some sort of fluid runs down his arms *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

RainyDay wrote:
    My other scary memory was staying up late on my own in the house to watch Race with the Devil which involved some holidaymakers being chased around the desert by a gang of Satinists.
    Wow, serious flashback there. I saw that on TV when I was about 9 or 10 and found it very scary. Going to watch trailer on IMDB now...from behind big cushion.

Advertisement