Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS sat nav/PDA

Options
  • 10-06-2005 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a GPS for the car (too late for aldi offer).

Would I be better off getting something like a PDA & getting some sort of GPS software for it ?

How does this work ?
    Is it car-mountable ?
    Any preferred PDAs ?
    Which is the best software ?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I got the Aldi offer and all I can say is wow if this offer comes up again grab it. The piece of kit is lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

That makes me feel so much better about missing it... Don't fancy selling do you ?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

not yet but you know me I could get bored of it in a few weeks ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Flogger

Hi guys, I too got the Aldi GPS yoke. It works wonderful in Dublin & Galway but I live in the midlands, and even though it is dead accurate as to your current position, I would like a more detailed map. Does anybody know if it is possible to download good detailed maps of Ireland anywhere on the net or if it is possible to get MS Autoroute or another route finder map that I have on my PC to work with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I ran Navigon mobile navigator4 on an Ipaq 5550 in the car and it worked pretty sweetly, but there was always the problem of having to have more than one cable to charge the hardware and only one cigarette lighter port. Also there was a need for a holster of some sort to hold the ipaq, and because the gps reciever was bluetooth I have the added hassle of finding somewhere to place it .. it kept sliding all over the place on the dashboard. The software did work well tho, but the Ipaq doesn't have a great speaker and in my opinion the louder the sound the better, for obvious reasons you dont want to be looking at the display constantly. ANYWAYS... I recently got my hands on a Transonic PNA400... pretty sweet, the software is loaded on to an sd card
    via activesync, great speaker on it, and it also comes with a holster that you stick to the windscreen and hey presto! only one cable to charge it. It also fits in to your pocket, being roughly about the size of a pda. Comes bundled with Navigon software...

• Advertisement
Advertisement