Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important Notice for all Leaving Cert Students!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

Y 8 schools that are complaining, so that's about 1,000 people already.

Yeah right I could just imagine 1000 people complaing, the schools wont bother, they are just trying to shut you up STOP Just move on if you only need 420 then dont worry STOP The way you are talking you could do that in your sleep STOP but then again you might just be flaunting your ego STOP
    LOST helped my Leaving Cert see HERE STOP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Fishie wrote:
    Sorry, I should have made it clearer, that paragraph was actually referring to Aristotle

Oh, sorry about that! My fault!

Much higher than 4,000 Aristotle? Ha, you must be joking.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that I changed it to Mathematical Science in UCD.

And I only mentioned the 420 thing in one post!!!
    But isn't that still only about 450? I mean, if you got 560 in your mocks then it won't be any problem for you, I could understand if you were absolutely depending on an A in Irish but if you don't actually need it, why go to so much bother?

Fishie wrote:
    But isn't that still only about 450? I mean, if you got 560 in your mocks then it won't be any problem for you, I could understand if you were absolutely depending on an A in Irish but if you don't actually need it, why go to so much bother?

It was 520 last year, and yes I am depending on an A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Realisticly there isn't a solution to the problem. Maybe discarding your aural and averaging off the other parts of your paper. The choice of room, according to the document Cherry_Pie put up earlier, is all down to the school itself. The cost of extra supervisors is even covered by the exam commission. In my opinion its your school you should be complaining to.

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote:
    Realisticly there isn't a solution to the problem. Maybe discarding your aural and averaging off the other parts of your paper. The choice of room, according to the document Cherry_Pie put up earlier, is all down to the school itself. The cost of extra supervisors is even covered by the exam commission. In my opinion its your school you should be complaining to.

Very well said STOP
    it is the school's fault STOP
    just look forward leave the ego behind STOP

I hope you didn't write like that in the English exam Fortinbras STOP

;)

NoelRock wrote:
    I hope you didn't write like that in the English exam Fortinbras STOP

;)

No I drew A different telly-tubby for every full STOP
    ( I drew La La twice, being blond and all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭randombassist

I didn't have any difficulty in hearing the tape, and we didn't experience any skipping or similar defects. Could it be the standard of CD players in some schools that caused the problem? Also, our superintendant told us at the start to put up our hands if there was anyone who was having difficulty hearing the tape. I was wondering if you were offered that same option? If so did you avail of it?

our superintendant told us at the start to put up our hands if there was anyone who was having difficulty hearing the tape. I was wondering if you were offered that same option? If so did you avail of it?

Is that what she was saying, I couldnt hear her, I thought it was an instruction from the tape and put up my hand STOP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

I had a few skips on my cd aswell, but not bothered at all about it, If the amout of people you say are compliaing is correct, then, the dep will take into account the difficulty in hearing and quality of tape, and the will mark it easier or something like that, but by no means will the students have to resit an exam or will you get a chance to do it again,

Johnerr wrote:
    IIf the amout of people you say are compliaing is correct, ,

THERE IS NO WAY IT IS CORRECT IGNORE HIM stop

THERE IS NO WAY IT IS CORRECT IGNORE HIM stop

What, so it's highly unlikely that 1 out of every 55 schools will complain?!

Of course not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

i found no problems with sound quality
    actually it was as clear as crystal

it was difficult but not due to the quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Haedes1987

The sound was sound and i got on sound. Is that sound or what. Sorry to all you unluccky people...............plz excuse the corn :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

my god!
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

How would you resit the exam? they would have to make a new one for you? then it would be easier/harder? either way the leaving cert needs to be the same for everyone so i dont even kno that it would be possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

IF u wana complain i would advise get a teacher to do it for u. There is no point doing it over the internet from an email. Its ireland, u know that people won't take emails seriously there so technologically backward. So i advise a formal phone call - asking what the procedure is for people in your situation? If theres enough people blah blah.... meanwhile cherry pie complains through a teacher if possible and if u can get anybody else.

Thats all i can think of. OR request to talk to someone important not just some secetary in an office.

Best of luck with it i think it might be possible depending on how strong u argue it. Personally if my course depended on it, i'd take it all the way maybe even meeting up with some exam commisioner etc..

Also get ur principal on ur side aswel. - might be obvious but important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

I can see how your argument might help students that will be sitting the exams next year, but there is no way there'll be a repeat of this year's aural paper.

I know all this the hard way, having missed exams last year due to illness, and having wrote to the Minister for Education, the Examinations Board and phoning numerous places such as CAO, etc, in an attempt to get an assessment or something to prevent repeating. But i had to repeat - its cruel but it's over and there's nothing you can do. The Exam Board will acknowledge the problem and try to prevent the same thing happening next year, but the cost of resitting a new aural - new CD scripts, new printed sheets, etc, is unviable and time consuming and costly.

Besides, i thought the CD was fair enough this year - albeit harder than last year IMO, but a fair one nonetheless.

Sorry but all's fair in love, war, and Leaving Cert Examinations apparently.

Edit: Oh, and for anybody that couldn't hear the tape properly due to an echo or distance from the CD player, what stopped you from speaking up? Surely you weren't stupid enough to be influenced by peer pressure during the exams, were you? Were you afraid of looking fussy? Grow up people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

look. you did badly in the aural. let it go.
    The examiners have to ask everyone if they can hear the tape, and if it is to their satisfaction. They do this after the introduction. If someone can't hear it, the examiner will turn up the sound or switch to a cd player, or a better tape deck.

There is absolutely no way in hell the exam comm. will stray from protocol on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

not bothering to read it al lthe psots. Fact is you will not be re-sitting the exam. EVERYONE would have to do it. Our CD was perfect and it went fine for me.

The CDs and Tapes distributed by the department were perfect quality. The problem is clearly with your schools tape equipment, and that is totally the schools responsability.

If you were to resit it, we all would have to resit it, and it would be a different tape exam.

So please stop withthe stupid suggestions it is clearly not going to happen or never going to happen.

Before the exam started your examiner is obliged to playthe intro tracks. As many times are necesary. This is an indicator, and the examiner can adjust sound etc. If you didnt voice an objection during this it was your tough look. There was lots of changes in our exam, until it was pitch perfect.

Saying that it was heard to hear is a lame excuse to be honest, it is over so just get on iwth the rest of your exams. Like I said, your fighting not a lost cause an impossible cause.

It was 520 last year, and yes I am depending on an A.
    Mathematical Science in UCD? The CAO website says that last year the points were 400...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Cherry_Pie wrote:
    Thats the biggest problem in the country. The 18 - 25 age group complain but do nothing. Do you know if we started voting we would probably have a government after the next elections that we do not recognise!! Stand up for yourselves. Power in Numbers! So who's with us? Complain or action!??

ill do it this afternoon...

Murv wrote:
    oh mo dhia micheáál,
    táá mé comh screwed le hi an exam seo. loike... ooh mo dhia. tá sé just... dochreidthe.
    :D:D:D

Fishie wrote:
    Mathematical Science in UCD? The CAO website says that last year the points were 400...

Ah yes I was reading the median score. :o

And will people stop saying that it won't happen. As I have said about 27 time already, I was making a suggestion in the hope that you would make a better one.

Like I said, your fighting not a lost cause an impossible cause.

That wasn't the case a few years ago.

I know all this the hard way, having missed exams last year due to illness, and having wrote to the Minister for Education, the Examinations Board and phoning numerous places such as CAO, etc, in an attempt to get an assessment or something to prevent repeating. But i had to repeat - its cruel but it's over and there's nothing you can do. The Exam Board will acknowledge the problem and try to prevent the same thing happening next year, but the cost of resitting a new aural - new CD scripts, new printed sheets, etc, is unviable and time consuming and costly.

There are a very strict rules about people repeating. I can't think of anything they could have done for a person that was ill, as I myself was ill at my JC, but I can think of many things that thay can do for people who had a problem with their tape.

Before the exam started your examiner is obliged to playthe intro tracks. As many times are necesary. This is an indicator, and the examiner can adjust sound etc. If you didnt voice an objection during this it was your tough look.
    look. you did badly in the aural. let it go.
    The examiners have to ask everyone if they can hear the tape, and if it is to their satisfaction. They do this after the introduction. If someone can't hear it, the examiner will turn up the sound or switch to a cd player, or a better tape deck.
    There is absolutely no way in hell the exam comm. will stray from protocol on this.

Please read my other thread.

My attendant has apologised and admitted that she was wrong not to stop the tape again just because she had stopped it so many times already.
    I have rang up the Exam Board and they have said they will look into it. My principal has said he will try his best to do something too.

So thanks to everyone for their advice and for taking time out of their busy schedule to voice their opinion.

I wish everyone the best of luck in their exams.

Ciarán.

ok. the story so far, for those of you who have not read the thread so far.

#1: whiney student complains that he couldn't hear the aural tape after the exam on an internet message board.
    #2: note, that this is *after* the exam. Why didnt he complain before the actual questions started, or during the introduction. This is the time when such problems are to be addressed.
    #3:so he tries to rally up support on the internet. Gets a "whatever" response.
    #4:the department would have to make every single person re-sit this exam for this to work. Otherwise we would have other whiney people complaining that the 1st/2nd exam was harder/easier than the other, and they are now doing worse than before.
    #4: result? Said student wastes time when he could be studying, does not get his points, and proceeds to whine on an internet board about how unfair life/cao/leaving cert is.

---
    My point is STFU and spend your time studying, not complaining.

You sir, have ended the thread, thank you and congratulations :)!

#2: note, that this is *after* the exam. Why didnt he complain before the actual questions started, or during the introduction. This is the time when such problems are to be addressed.

Like I have said, please don't make stupid statements without reading my other thread.

Thank you.

#4:the department would have to make every single person re-sit this exam for this to work. Otherwise we would have other whiney people complaining that the 1st/2nd exam was harder/easier than the other, and they are now doing worse than before.

If you had been kind enough to read the the rest of the thread before you made your statements, you will see that many people have made other suggestions, suggestions which seem more sensible and more likely.

So next time, read the thread.

• Advertisement

Ok, here we go. To the thunderdome!
    Listen carefully.
    If the department allows you to repeat this exam, I will post you €100.
    No strings no catches. Ok? Just show me proof that they let you repeat, thats all I ask. And I will post you the money.
    Thats how sure I am that this will never happen.

(and while were quoting now, I thought I'd add in a few.)
    aristotle wrote:
    History:
    My massive brain
    aristotle wrote:
    When its all said and done, I'm still better than you!
    aristotle wrote:
    Playboy photographer
    aristotle wrote:
    Biography:
    Non-smoker, non-ugly.
    Quite the cocky lad, arent we?

Advertisement