Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSPE Test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

D'Oh-eth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah, that Earth day poster was fun. My Earth Day poster could kick your Earth Day poster's ass!
    No way, my poster was AWESOME. I mangled loads of countries and destroyed most of western Europe in my picture of the earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

No way, my poster was AWESOME. I mangled loads of countries and destroyed most of western Europe in my picture of the earth!

Ok, now THAT is awesome! Forgot to bring my colouring pencils and I feel there's something missing when you don't have pretty colours ;), so I did Question 2.
    Oh, PurpleFistMixer - the U.N. question was question 2 in Section 2. It was all about child labour, I think.

I didn't have colouring pencils either, but I felt like drawing a poster so I just did that question anyway. If I'd bothered I'd have shaded it with my pencil but eh, didn't think it was necessary. Not an art exam.

And crap, I don't even remember that bit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

It was the last question on the Anne Frank piece afair. I aint exactly an artist (well, not a "manual" artist anyway) so my picture would have likely been a bad circle with Earth written in it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Alqua

UNDHR and Declaration of the Rights of the Child is what i said
    I think that might've been the answer, the children's one sounds familiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Strokesa wrote:
    But didnt any1 else thing that question about the politicians was hard?I no it was only 6 marks but still...i only knew mary harney cos my cspe teacher shouted it out as i was going in! But i have an extremely limited knowledge of politicians anyway.

That was an extremly easy question , surely you at least know Bertie is the leader of Fianna Fail .

Im not sure how well my project thing will do but my written exam is definetly an A .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

A's aren't that widespread. only a certain % of people in the country can get an A. A's in the mocks mean ****e, those are being corrected by non state examiners. They have no quota

Why the HELL do they have a quota of As?
    Do they not want people to excell? o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

WTF a quota?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Who, me?

:confused: So, what happens if you get an A but it's over the quota? They mark you down, or something?

It's a curve...you take a 100 people, 10 will be very smart, 20 moderately smart, 20 stupid etc etc. This is done on a nationwide basis with the JC and LC, the reason being that if an exam is too easy or too hard it shouldn't affect how good people do, as a certain amount of people have to get A's and a certain amount of people have to get D's.

However I'm not sure if this applies to CSPE because a) it's a common level, b) even teachers will tell you it doesn't matter and most importantly d) how many people get D's in CSPE? :)

Interesting. But say, in a core subject, if a number of people over the quota get A's, will it be marked harder or something? (and, I suppose, does the same apply if there are too many people under the quota?)

That's the idea, if you "deserved" to get 87% but too many other people got 90% you could drop down to a B, and if you got 83% but not enough people got over 85% then you could go up to an A.

Thats a load of bull I say....idiots in the SEC

Oh my god I hate that. o.o

*prays that everyone is stupid. I'm sorry, but I want As*

I know it sounds crazy and scary, but we needn't really be worried. I mean, half of the JC students wouldn't be very smart at all at all..

It sucks, all right. So I suppose the only way to ensure we don't get marked down is to ace everything. Wonderful.

yea lol...good luck all :rolleyes:

Fobia wrote:
    I know it sounds crazy and scary, but we needn't really be worried. I mean, half of the JC students wouldn't be very smart at all at all..

We can only hope. :p I mean, I'm happy with my B's and C's, but there are a few subjects that I really want an A in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

So say 20% of the country got 100% in CSPE (which is very likely), they will not give some of them A's? Even though they got 100%?
    That can't be right!

That's what I'm thinking Diarmsquid, I don't know anyone who got less than a B in CSPE, so I don't know if they do the quotas for this "subject" :)

But lets say 5% get 100% in history...can they not give them the A??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Who, me?

But lets say 5% get 100% in history...can they not give them the A??
    I think then the marking scheme would be pretty generous to get the quota of A's...because you can't really have no A's, can you? *ponders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Thats a load of bull I say....idiots in the SEC
    i agree if u deserve an A u deserve an A and thats only fair instead of this quota bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Are you sure this quota business is real?

We've asked all our teachers about nearly every aspect of the exams and i've never heard of it before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Yes there is quotas .

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

So the correctors look at their list of results (as a percentage) for all the students and say "whoa, there's soooo many As. Looks like we've got alot of inteligent people doing X this year. I'll only give the ones above 92% As", which kinda seems fair to an extent. But on the report card, it shows the grades and their equivalent percentages, and an A is 85%+, not 92%+.

Those who got 90% will be graded B when they *got* an A.
    What aloada crap!

And where'd people hear about this quota thing, then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

It's true, I'm afraid

Advertisement