Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WinXP SATA dynamic HDD problem

Options
  • 10-06-2005 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi guys and gals,

I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the following problem I'm having with a re-installation of a Maxtor 300GB SATA HDD connected to an Asus A7N8X deluxe motherboard using XP Pro. I've checked the web, gone through past Boards posts, and can't find anything about it.

The drive in question worked perfectly well under my old XP installation (I only re-installed because the registry got corrupted etc.) The drive has only one partition, which is formatted as dynamic.

The problem is: when I go to Disk Management, XP correctly reports that it's a 300GB disk with one dynamic, healthy partition - but I can't access it! Clicking on the drive in Explorer yields "Z:\ is not accessible. Access denied." Right-clicking on the drive in Explorer and selecting Properties indicates that the Used Space is 0 bytes, and the Free Space is 0 bytes. There is no tab for Security. I'm logged in as administrator anyway (as you have to be to run Disk Management).

I must stress that the drive in question is NOT marked "Foreign" in Disk Management. I am aware that if it were, I would merely have to import it, a procedure I've done before.

I've looked on the Microsoft website, no joy. Maxtor, ditto. I've also checked the Silicon Image website for updates to the motherboard software, but no luck.

There is over 120GB of data on this disk that I need. If anyone could throw any light on how I might successfully mount this disk I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Michael

Advertisement