Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dead Thread

• 10-06-2005 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Arent detectors terrible???

everyone happy now :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

don't use it, they're illegal. Its people like you that should be banned anyway, just drive the speed limit like most people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Funxy wrote:
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Maybe driving within the speed limit ?

just a suggestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Divers wrote:
    don't use it, they're illegal. Its people like you that should be banned anyway, just drive the speed limit like most people do.

I amn't sure about the legality of such a device, but like Divers I agree what you are doing is dangerous. In essence, you are saying you have no problem with speeding if you won't get caught. You're a danger to pedestrians and fellow drivers alike. Cop on to yourself! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I amn't sure about the legality

they're illegal all right. You'll lose your license much faster if your caught with one of those than doing 60 in a 40 zone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

So you can honestly say that youve never done a few mph over the limit on clear roads, sure :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Funxy wrote:
    So you can honestly say that youve never done a few mph over the limit on clear roads, sure :rolleyes:

Nobody's saying they've never speeded, but its at their own risk. Other's arent using an illegal device (that doesnt work mind) to avoid getting caught.

Plus if your immune to speed traps you are likey to go a lot faster a lot more often thus being a much bigger danger.

I made a friendly post, and also did say in it i dont make a habit of speeding. Which i dont. I do driving in the uk too and use it mostly there where it is infact legal. However i think if you disagree with me using it thats fine, dont use one. But my question isnt about should i or shouldnt i, its simply a question to anyone else whos had experiance with them. Thanks

in fairness it was a post about something illegal, you can hardly expect support on a public forum. I mean i wouldnt expect to last long asking on AH where to buy the best quality drugs , or if i was complaining that the drugs I bought arent dong what they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

My friend jonnys got the same one and believe me it works, to the extent that (even while mounted high up on the passengers side visor!) it caught a Laser cop FROM BEHIND THE CAR ! the sneeky bastard was reversed up a slip road shooting motorists travelling away from him, Jonny had to make haste at 11billion mph and off at the next exit or else hang around and get screwed, so be careful on that one.

Maybe the (radar you say - no tripod ie. laser ?) cop was only a deterrent\presence factor to pacify the whingers who come on here constantly bickering about how they've travelled from cork to donegal at 30mph last weekend and didn't spot one speed cop :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Stekelly wrote:
    in fairness it was a post about something illegal, you can hardly expect support on a public forum. I mean i wouldnt expect to last long asking on AH where to buy the best quality drugs , or if i was complaining that the drugs I bought arent dong what they should.

Stekelly is right. How much support did you really expect? :confused: And in answer to Stekelly's question, the best drugs in Dublin (according to the homeless guy on Dawson Street, anyway) can be bought in Coolock. ;) Glad to be of service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Funxy wrote:
    I do driving in the uk too and use it mostly there where it is infact legal.

When did they make them legal in the UK? Is this a new development?

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Funxy wrote:
    I made a friendly post, and also did say in it i dont make a habit of speeding. Which i dont. I do driving in the uk too and use it mostly there where it is infact legal. However i think if you disagree with me using it thats fine, dont use one. But my question isnt about should i or shouldnt i, its simply a question to anyone else whos had experiance with them. Thanks
    Your only crime is underestimating the Morality Police that patrol these boards with their hypocricy sticks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Anyone interested in buying a caravan? I have one here I've been trying to shift for months. I'll even throw in a free cardigan, flat cap and pipe.

adam

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

dahamsta wrote:
    Anyone interested in buying a caravan? I have one here I've been trying to shift for months. I'll even throw in a free cardigan, flat cap and pipe.
    Shouldn't this be in the Mustard section? Mods?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MrPudding wrote:
    When did they make them legal in the UK? Is this a new development?

MrP
    They've been legal in the UK since 1998 when a test case was brought before the courts. Previously they had been prosecuting people for "intercepting a wireless communication" or some such BS under the Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1949, but they were overturned when it was pointed out that the signal in question wasn't actually transmitting any kind of message that could be intercepted.

There are moves though at the moment to introduce a specific offence of using a radar detector under the new Road Safety Bill.

GPS devices that warn you of the location of fixed speed cameras will remain legal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Alun wrote:
    They've been legal in the UK since 1998 when a test case was brought before the courts. Previously they had been prosecuting people for "intercepting a wireless communication" or some such BS under the Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1949, but they were overturned when it was pointed out that the signal in question wasn't actually transmitting any kind of message that could be intercepted.

There are moves though at the moment to introduce a specific offence of using a radar detector under the new Road Safety Bill.

GPS devices that warn you of the location of fixed speed cameras will remain legal though.
    Cool. What is the story with the GPS device that gives you an accurate reading of your speed and also gives you the limit of the area you are in? Is it available in Ireland?

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MrPudding wrote:
    Cool. What is the story with the GPS device that gives you an accurate reading of your speed and also gives you the limit of the area you are in? Is it available in Ireland?

MrP
    You could buy one from the UK I suppose, but they'd be bugger all use over here as the database of speed cameras doesn't exist. If you buy such a device in the UK, you can regularly download updated camera location databases from the manufacturers' websites.

Your only crime is underestimating the Morality Police that patrol these boards with their hypocricy sticks.

ROFL :D Ok sorry guys didnt realise everyone was so uptight about it. Theres so many debates that could be started here but im not going to get started. In 8 years of driving ive never been issued a speeding ticket, or in fact any road tickets apart from one parking ticket (which i know can certainly be a very dangerous habit too, i will never repeat this i promise ;) )

I recently accquired a detector purly becuase i believe the road cops are starting to make errors in judgment with the new speed laws when a massive piece of road i travel on daily is 80kph yet in donegal the twistiest roads you could find are marked 100kph. That is just the way i feel which is why i decided to see what detectors are like. I do apologise if my choice has rattled anyones panties ;) I promise not to ask anyone elses opinions about them on this board. And unfortunatly i cant find the delete thread button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I really hate it when ppl edit thier own posts before I've had the chance to pass judgement!

As far as I'm concerned if you use a radar detector and it either does'nt do as you hope or you get caught and done for using an illegal device then tough.

Mike.

Stekelly is right. How much support did you really expect? :confused: And in answer to Stekelly's question, the best drugs in Dublin (according to the homeless guy on Dawson Street, anyway) can be bought in Coolock. ;) Glad to be of service.

I was hoping someone would recognise my thinly veiled shout for advise. :D

• Advertisement

Funxy wrote:
    I recently accquired a detector purly becuase i believe the road cops are starting to make errors in judgment with the new speed laws .

How exactly can THEY be making an error of judgment when its you who is speeding? They have every right to do speed checks on whatever road they choose, its their job. It's your responsibility to not speed, and if you do and are caught, you pay the price.

Like i said its purly an opinion and i will repeat that i try my best not to speed, i just believe nowadays it is easier to drift over by a few mph then it used to be when massive clear roads are reduced to very slow limits. If you remember the first post i have passed two speed cameras in the past two weeks and neither i was speeding. I have not recieved a ticket in all my years of driving. I was purly hoping for some constructive comments on why i may be having a problem, not flaming. Thanks anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Stekelly wrote:
    How exactly can THEY be making an error of judgment when its you who is speeding? They have every right to do speed checks on whatever road they choose, its their job. It's your responsibility to not speed, and if you do and are caught, you pay the price.

i think what he was trying to say was that they are making an error of judgement as in the the speed limits themselves are wrong (i know the gards enforce the laws, not make them...) People need to get off their oh so high horses and give the guy a break, everyone speeds and he just asked for some advice about avoiding getting caught doing so, not to be told be wont get caught if he doesn't do it, im sure he has figured that out already. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Leave them alone ubu, if they didn't have this forum to use as a pulpit from which they can lecture the ignorant masses, their lives would be utterly devoid of any sort of interest whatsoever. Besides, if you tackle them too hard they'll write a letter to the Times about it. It's just not worth it man.

adam

(PS. Does anyone have any patches I can sew onto my tweed jacket? It strikes me as a really nifty look, surprised no-one thought of it before.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Funxy wrote:

I bought a Beltronics 550 on EBay after a recent run in with an inept copper (See my other posts). Generally an excellent piece of kit, picks up all Gatsos from miles off. Not so good on the hand-held laser devices though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭ando

I have no problem with ppl using detectors on main rds/motorways where the garda are shooting fish in a barrel on a stupid speed limit stretch

ando wrote:
    I have no problem with ppl using detectors on main rds/motorways where the garda are shooting fish in a barrel on a stupid speed limit stretch

But if people were obeying the law it would be irrelevant where the gardai were because they wouldnt catch anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Thats the point, no-one obeys all of the speed limits all of the time, thus some people want to avoid getting caught when they are speeding :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Funxy wrote:
    Arent detectors terrible???

everyone happy now :rolleyes:

No, I've no problem with them. Now getting caught with one, that's terrible.

If using them means slowing down, is that not a good thing, just what everyone does on sight of a GATSO anyway, so Radar or Vision detection, what's the difference.
    the best way for the cops is put a dumb signal emmitter every couple of miles so you cannot tell real from spurious signals, strike a deal with the cell ph operators so they can spew forth the signal from every and any location. thus making the detector non-functional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Christ, don't remember threads describing the GATSO vans getting the same response.

I have actually wondered about these devices. My only doubt would be their effectiveness. We can all list silly speed limits, which are the cops favourite hangout (Kilmac on the N11 north bound would be my prime example), so I have no problem avoiding detection.

Ultimately it all comes back to the speed limits in place, and how they're enforced.

Advertisement