Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Access development

Options
  • 10-06-2005 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

hi everybody,

I have been given a small project to do which involves just witing a small application to access and manipulate an MS Access database and displaying some records in a report format.

I just want to know what is the best environment to do this in.

I've done database applications in PHP using a MySQL database and the apache webserver... I've just never used Access before!

Do I do it in C++ or ASP ... if so what environment do I need to install??
    I have no experience with .NET stuff at all - but by looking online it seems to be the most popular way.

Does anyone know of any good tutorials to get me started??

Cheers,
    Fi**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Is this to be web app or a windows app? I wouldn't recommend Access for a web application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Fi_C**

hi Phil

This is a project that was assigned to me and the person who wants it done sent me an access database with entries already in it. The spec is really vague but I am assuming that it is a windows app.

Cheers..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If it's really small and simple, more of a quick utility than an application then it's may be easiest to stick with what you know and go with PHP and apache (I'm assuming here that PHP can use some kind of ODBC connection to Access). A little bit dirty but it'd get the job done.

Possibly the simplest option would be to write a quick VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) app in Access if it's going to be single user (they can be multi user but I don't think it's recommended). It's pretty simple, just create some forms with the built in editor and stick some simple VB code behind the buttons. I don't know of any good tutorials but I'm sure there's loads around.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

Whats wrong with the build in "reports" designer within Access - you may not even need to write a line of code!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I think the first to thing do is
    1: find out what os you are going to be using (Windows/Linux)
    2: find out how many users ?
    3: are the reports to be static or run on demand
    4: are there export options to excel, csv etc
    5: find out if you are allowed to used php/apache etc after all many work places only allow you to write software in a supported environment.
    6: Are there any similar apps already in work that you can borrow from ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Fi_C** wrote:
    hi everybody,

I have been given a small project to do which involves just witing a small application to access and manipulate an MS Access database and displaying some records in a report format.

I just want to know what is the best environment to do this in.
    Either the one you know you can do it in (or do it in best, according to the criteria given to you), or - if you've no directly applicable skills - probably MS Access itself (although I'd do it in a seperate .mdb and link the tables, rather than in the DB with the tables itself).

jc

Advertisement