Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Den - Gone but not forgotten

• 10-06-2005 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Well, that's the last ever Den finished after 19 memorable years. What's your favourite memories.

I will miss Dustin, Wonder if he'll be back in the replacement.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

its...its...over??there goes my last childhood memory......my blue bucket....sob...... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

what?! Didnt know it was finishing! :eek: They'd be mad not to keep on Dustin....

"working by day and hey, rapping by night..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I think I'll survive, tbh it got worse with the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Aw I didnt know it was ending. Well done RTE :rolleyes: .

Ray Darcy with Dustin were brilliant. Sorta went downhill when he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

ffs, thats crap :/

thats 2 generations nearly that grew up with the den.

wonder what *fresh and hip* idea theyll import from america to replace it

• Advertisement

Chalk wrote:
    wonder what *fresh and hip* idea theyll import from america to replace it

If they put I.D on all day I'll eat the RTE scheduler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Yeah it really went downhill there at the end. Dont think they were really putting all the required RTE funding into that quality childrens education

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

Arabel wrote:
    ill cut him into little pieces for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 tvfan

what? when was this announced? i never heard anything please tell me more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Maybe Dustin and Socky will follow Zig and Zag onto Channel 4 or
    somewhere?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

TBH it's about time. It was outdated - whether we liked it or not is irrelevant, it's not what kids today are looking for. Just look at other kid-orientated programs on the other channels to see what the way forward is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it was **** since Ray D'arcy left it tbh

dustin was always useless. good riddance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Aww no the Den was cool (I agree, it disimproved when Ray Darcy left and got even worse when that Damien guy left!). I still remember the day I was on the furry green telly quiz with my friend. That was class :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Eve e

The Den, and Home and Away (with the dire Jo-Maxi sandwiched between) seem to total my after school viewing as a kid.
    Was at it funniest when Zig and Zag were still there (esp. Zig as cousin Nigel) but kinda lost its appeal after you were let stay out after 6.00p.m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I bet that evil Patrick the postman had something to do with it. The bastard.

I haven't watched the den in years (no, serioiusly), but i switched into it at the end. Pure chance. They didn't bring back zig or zag or Ray. It was a ****e ending. Just proof of how downhill it went.

Remember the days of No. 10 celebrity square? The Rotten Apple club? Those were the days.. and what i will remember the show for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I'm pretty sure I flicked by it once today - naturally didn't stop for it though, as I didn't realise. A shame really... gonna miss it in a sense, it'll be one more familiar staple from my childhood TV that has disappeared... ah nostalgia.

Yeah, Ray D'Arcy really made that show - Damien guy wasn't bad either, and he's now doing rather well on 2FM :) so well done to him.

That last guy - no offence to him - looked dreadful, he always seemed uncomfortable and just a bit, well, patronising(?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Aw....sigh I remember the good ol' days of zig and zag and the evil panda!!!!noooooo not the evil panda!!!!

sad day, sad day indeed.

:(

Did anyone see the last one today?? Did they make a big deal out of it being the last one?? I thought they would. But didn't hear a thing. They did a special programme when it was the 10th anniversary and it was so funny!! They showed loadsa old clips. They should do that again since it's finished.

Since they got Frances on I think it was the end. Sure they never got famous (ish) people on it anymore. Boyzone and the likes used to come on.. no more...

Hopefully Don will be banished forever. He was one scary dude....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Francis got quite emotional saying his goodbyes and thank yous. He had to breathe in deeply a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Ya, watched it as a kid... d'arcy was great... last guy was ok (this guy sucked)!

I think it had its time, but its out dated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Suppose all good things must come to and end. Anyone remember the Yes/No game show? That was great craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Didnt know it was finished?? Ray D'Arcy and Damien Farrelly were the best on it probably without a doubt D'Arcy anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Arabel wrote:
    You could get a job... then you wouldn't be bothered by daytime RTE...

Also... do you watch the Den regularly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Ray was great but i got a laugh out of Ian Dempsey when he was doing it with Zig&Zag.Ian would always go into a fit of laughing when Zig&Zag got going.Ah well.

Will miss Dustin. :(

Brian017 wrote:
    Francis got quite emotional saying his goodbyes and thank yous. He had to breathe in deeply a few times.

He was only on it for a year FFS!!!! Ray did it for 6 years!! :rolleyes:

Larianne wrote:
    He was only on it for a year FFS!!!! Ray did it for 6 years!! :rolleyes:
    Apparently, he was on it for two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

the den's over????
    hardly ever watched it but it's still something that everyone from the past generation or two will remember!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

oh dear. Yes, it was piss poor recently, but still.. a legacy lost. I have fond memories of coming home from primary school and watching up to the end.

Ah dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hehe, i woke up this afternoon and watched yugi-oh on it. sad.

didnt know it was the last though :/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

people.
    we are getting old.

crash_000 wrote:
    Hehe, i woke up this afternoon and watched yugi-oh on it. sad.
    Yes that is quite sad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

The Rotten Apple Club and the Podge & Zag Show were fantastic. Genuinely funny stuff that broke the mould for kids daytime television, and was not a copy of some British formula.

It had to be the worst ending to a 19 year old programme EVER. A travesty.
    They fired whatshisface back to leitrim 'to his parents' in a cannon. Crap RTE style. And the presenter almost broke down in tears, well he must have shed one or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Eve e

Mordeth wrote:
    people.
    we are getting old.

Esp.if you can remember when it was Dempseys Den :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

19 years, wow. I can remember when it started. Here's to a mispent youth ;)

• Advertisement

Remember S.O.L.D

Stamp Out Line Dancing...

And at the end of every day they'd have Ray and Dustin (were Zig and Zag still there... it was quite a while ago... my memory isn't what it used to be) learning line dancing and they kept saying "the camera isn't on... see the red light's on"

It was good the way they'd come back every season with a different studio set- the Treehouse, spaceship, sittingroom(?). The set designers must have had so much fun.

Didn't they do some kinda kareoke or singing of some sort and had that ronan dude on it playing the keyboard in a glittery blue blazer. He never talked on it. (then appeared a few years later teaching the dudes on Popstars!!)

I've a tape and on the end of it it has Dempsey's Den!! And the pop video 'You Came' by Kim Wilde. I'd say if I watched it now I'd cry. Gotta find that!!!!!

steveland? wrote:
    And at the end of every day they'd have Ray and Dustin (were Zig and Zag still there... learning line dancing and they kept saying "the camera isn't on... see the red light's on"
    Bwahaha yeah that was hilarious! And remember the Christmas specials???? OMG best show ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Bwahaha yeah that was hilarious! And remember the Christmas specials???? OMG best show ever!!

I loved them! they were so cool, really sad that its finished what are they going to replace it with?. Does any one remember the evil panda and werent rodge and podge on it years ago?

who, Ted?? Yah. Think They killed off Zuppy. Hadn't seen him in a long time. Snotser probably sat on him!! :D

• Advertisement

He was there today.

steveland? wrote:
    You could get a job... then you wouldn't be bothered by daytime RTE...

Also... do you watch the Den regularly...

I copuld get a job, I probably will soon. But I havent watched the Den nor daytime telly in a long time. I just hate I.D.

Larianne wrote:
    who, Ted?? Yah. Think They killed off Zuppy. Hadn't seen him in a long time. Snotser probably sat on him!! :D
    Snotser & Zuppy were there yesterday on the last episode. I think they lost Zuppy the puppet for a while.

Actually the puppets looked as if they needed a wash badly. Off to the washing machine they go.

(Yes they were puppets- sorry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

just remake the den ala podge and rodge - young(and older) boys will be hookded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Could be completely wrong but I think I read somewhere that the show they are going to show instead is focused around Dustin.
    Something along the lines of him (in his own special way) getting kids interested in politics and current affairs etc.
    The show will change focus after 4 o clock to do this, targetting older kids.

No idea where I read it but I hope I didn't make it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

that sounds like ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭*Sinéad*

I still remember the day I was on the furry green telly quiz with my friend. That was class :D
    *jealous*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

mad m wrote:
    Ray was great but i got a laugh out of Ian Dempsey when he was doing it with Zig&Zag.Ian would always go into a fit of laughing when Zig&Zag got going.Ah well.

Will miss Dustin. :(

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention him, after all it was Dempsey's Den I used to watch... *sigh* yes, all of us who remember Dempsey's Den are now officially old!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention him, after all it was Dempsey's Den I used to watch... *sigh* yes, all of us who remember Dempsey's Den are now officially old!!

Ah sure Ian is older than the lot of us.The show was universal to all ages really but never looked at the latest person who presented it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I had no idea it was ending , I havent watched the thing in years but the Den is something that RTE actually did well with and its sad that its gone .

• Advertisement
Advertisement