Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wow! Speed does kill.

Options
  • 10-06-2005 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

Inappropriate speed of course.

MrP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

what's the background behind this? why is it on display?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

thats one hungry car :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Informative post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Informative post :rolleyes:
    God. I am sorry if it didn't come up to your exacting standards for thread quality. I will try harder next time. Again apologies.

MrP

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote:
    what's the background behind this? why is it on display?

Sorry, forgot this bit

> La police a tout nettoyé (elle n'aurait pas dû) et a tout remonté pour
    montrer ce qui peut arriver.

The police cleaned up most of it although they should not have! and then put it back together to show to the public what can happen.
    > Le conducteur de la moto Honda circulait à une très grande vitesse et
    > il n'a pas vu la Golf. La police suédoise a estimé la vitesse de la moto à
    environ 250 km/h lorsqu'elle a percuté la voiture. La voiture avait deux
    passagers et le motard a été retrouvé à l'intérieur de la voiture.
    > La vw s'est retournée sous la force de l'impact et est retombée (un
    > peu plus de 300 m) du lieu de l'impact.
    > Les trois personnes (deux dans la voiture et le motard) ont été tués
    > sur le coup.
    The rider of the Honda was going at high speeed and did not see the VW Golf. The swedish police estimate that the spped of the bike was around 250 km/h when it colided with the car. the car had 2 passenger and the biker was found inside the car. The VW was turned over due to the impact and fell back a little more than 300 meters from the point of impact.
    The 3 people (2 in the car and the biker) were killed instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I'm no mechanic but i reckon the Golf's a write-off.

quarryman wrote:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭XT_Dweezil

There is a Swedish Bikeshow every year in Gothenburg and this car was put up as a sign to bikers to be careful.

The family of the people travelling in the Golf actually requested it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

It could be equally sucessful as part of a campaign to promote safer driving in cagers, ie. don't pull out in front of bikes because they can actually hurt you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

So we'ed have to assume from this VW "small but tough" ad, you are only safe if the bike is in the car and the driver outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

Looks a bit staged

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

bull-cough-brown stuff

bike moves car 300 yards.... eh no, especially not with that amount of absorbtion damage.... total lie...

look if you are going to drive about with no passanger door you are encouraging nosey bikers in for a peek :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

MrPudding wrote:
    God. I am sorry if it didn't come up to your exacting standards for thread quality. I will try harder next time. Again apologies.

MrP

Just don't let it happen again...

300 meters, not yards. Not much difference but still. This is the bit I have trouble believing myself. I am not sure what a bike weighs, I would presume 100 or maybe up to 200 KG. Travelling at 250 KPH that represents a lot of kinetic energy. I am not sure if it is enough to move the car 300 meters. It does mention that the car was flipped on its roof. I reckon this would make it easier to move as there would be much less friction with the road.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

IMO there's no way the bike pushed the car 300 metres down the road and I also doubt that the bike was doing 250 km/h on impact. I would say it was doing significantly less. A bike may be relatively light but it's very solid as it's basically an engine on wheels plus the front is narrow (so any impact is very concentrated) The result is that bikes have a tendency to slice deep into cars rather than push them down the road. This is especially true for side impacts as all cars are weak when hit in the doors.

If the impact speed was higher still I'd expect the bike to slice right through the car i.e go in one side and out the other :eek: I have seen some horrendous crashes where bikes collided with cars. Car drivers think they're safe in collisions with bikes but this is not true in many cases. Sometimes the biker is thrown clear and survives while the car occupants are crushed inside the car by the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Could have been on a slope.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wet roads, also static friction coefficient is a lot higher than dynamic. It's like the old thing with ABS. The bike could weigh 1/3 of the car and the energy is 1/2m v SQUARED. so yeah there is enough energy to do this.

Or since the bike hit the front of the car it may have turned it too so that the wheels were pointed in part in the direction of travel.

Bikes cutting cars that jumped lights almost in half is far too common. Unfortunatley all the bikers can do is take into account that if they get hit by a car then it's most likely the car in the wrong but they will come off worse.

was it a head on collision? Also the MK3 golfs are big ****ing tanks, it would be no easy task to move one of those :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

quarryman wrote:

i'm sure west coast custums could sort it out!

"you've got to pimp my ride"

• Advertisement

LOL I could imagine it now....*puts on voice*..."Ok we got a 19 year old guy named Hans, its clear from his car thats he's interested in Motorcycles, lets try and incorporate that into his car........"

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Con9903 wrote:
    was it a head on collision?
    I'm guessing teh bike T-boned the car. :rolleyes:

ah ha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

Well, if anyone is thinking of speeding any time in the near future either under or above the influence of alchohol, they should consult the kangaroo in the video which can be found here or the lady who can also be found here (WARNING: Not for the squeamish!!)
    I think that gets the point across pretty forcefully.

Direct links edited for the sake of the children, its an icky site - Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

MrPudding wrote:

MrP

hmmmm note too self dont offend MrP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Well, if anyone is thinking of speeding any time in the near future either under or above the influence of alchohol, they should consult the kangaroo in the video which can be found here or the lady who can also be found here (WARNING: Not for the squeamish!!)
    I think that gets the point across pretty forcefully.

Direct links edited for the sake of the children, its an icky site - Mike.

I think that Orgish site is unsuitable for average viewing - especially children - some of the stuff on there can be quite shocking :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I think that Orgish site is unsuitable for average viewing - especially children - some of the stuff on there can be quite shocking :rolleyes:

Agreed, no links to ogrish are suitable for the VAST majority of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Linking to ogrish means instant banning at my place of work.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    Linking to ogrish means instant banning at my place of work.
    It's quite nasty alright. I would be very surprised if it wasn't banned in my place of work. That said I wouldn't be willing to try it to check.

Probably not a good site to link to on an open board.

MrP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement