Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words cancelling out each other?

Options
  • 10-06-2005 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

What do you call it when two words cancel out each other, but not in a contradictory sense like an oxymoron?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

a double negative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No.. Not a double negative. It's a superfluous statement or word. Thanks anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It's like "a skinny anorexic".....you're right that there is a word to describe the use of descriptive words which are superfluous but ARGGGHHH I can't remember, I think it begins with 'p' - or then again maybe not.

/bangs head against wall. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

tautology?
    redundancy?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what about prefixes as per - uninflamable

• Advertisement

It's like "a skinny anorexic".....you're right that there is a word to describe the use of descriptive words which are superfluous but ARGGGHHH I can't remember, I think it begins with 'p' - or then again maybe not.

/bangs head against wall. :rolleyes:

Yeah, a skinny anorexic is a good example.. It's none of the words mentioned.. I don't know why it's annoying me so much but I just can't think of what it is.

dlofnep wrote:
    Yeah, a skinny anorexic is a good example.. It's none of the words mentioned.. I don't know why it's annoying me so much but I just can't think of what it is.

It might be possible to have a skinny anorexic - they might have been force fed to fatness but still have an anorexic's thought patterns in their mind, for example.

But yeah, still looking for that word.

Oh wait! Would it be pleonasm?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pleonasm

/awaits rapturous applause

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Simu wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

dlofnep wrote:
    What do you call it when two words cancel out each other, but not in a contradictory sense like an oxymoron?
    Could you have meant litotes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe perhaps "corollary" could fit too ;-)

Advertisement