Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Studies papers....

Options
  • 10-06-2005 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

...I know these things aren't avalible, so here they are (or part). Alexander, Drama and Epics. If you want anything else, write it up and I'll do my best. Earliest would probably be Friday (got a busy week ahead :( )
    There's no real point in me posting the Architecture seciton yet, cause I haven't gone through it and haven't a clue what most of them are.
    Anyway......

Alexander the Great
    (i) Why did Alexander invade the Persian Empire?

(ii) What do you consider to have been the decisive stages in Alexander's conquest of the Persian Empire?

(iii) Which aspects of Alexander's character would you most (a) admire (b) criticise?

(iv) Explain how the Macedonian army was organised. Describe it's operation in any one battle with which you are familliar.

(i) Write short notes on any three of the following: Bucephakas; Hephaestion; Parmenion; Roxane; Thais

(ii) What particular skills did Alexander show in his siege of Halicarnassus and Tyre?

(iii) Consider the nature of the complaints made againest Alexander by some of his officers and men in the later stage of his expedition (i.e, after the death of Darius)

(iv) Was Alexander interested in anything other than warfare? Use evidence from Arrian and Plutarch to support your answer.

(i) From your reading of Arrian and Plutarch assess the importance in Alexander's life of his father Philip

(ii) (a) How did Alexander manage to cross the Hydaspes river unnopposed?
    (b) Briefly describe the battle with Porus which followed
    (c) What do we learn of Alexander's character from his treatment of Porus after the battle?

(iii) (a) Outline the events which led to the execution of Philotas
    (b) Do you find the case made againest Philotas convincing? Give reasons for your answer

(iv) "That his character and temper grew worse as his power grew greater seems to us clear"
    (Introduction: Plutarch the Age of Alexander)
    Discuss this comment with reference to the period between Alexander's return to Babylon from the East and his death.

(i) "In military matters, he was the feeblest and most incompetent of men"
    (Arrian, the Campaigns of Alexander)
    Do you agree with this assessment of Darius from your reading of the prescribed texts?

(ii) (a) Give an account of Alexander's visit to the Shrine of Zeus-Ammon at Siwah based on your reading of Arrian and Plutarch
    (b) What is Arrian's attitude to the claim that Alexander was the son of Zeus?

(iii) (a) "Alexander showed outstanding leadership during the nightmare march through the Gedrosian desert." Discuss
    (b) What caused the failure of Alexander's plan to keep in contact with the fleet under Nearchus?

(iv) Discuss the view that Callisthenes brought about his own downfall by his self-importance and lack of common sense.

(i) (a) Why did Alexander dismiss his fleet after the capture of Miletus and put his trust instead in his coastal policy?
    (b) What risks do you consider he ran by leaving himself without a fleet?

(ii) (a) Compare the way Alexander handled the mutiny of his men at the river Hydasis with the way he dealt with the later mutiny at Opis
    (b) Why do you think he was forced to act differently on each occasion?

(iii) Treat of the Battle of Gaugemela under the following headings:
    (a) Alexander's rejection of a night attack;
    (b) the course of the battle itself;
    (c) the immediate consequences of Alexander's victory.

(iv) Discuss the view that both Arrian and Plutarch are too ready to excuse Alexander's faults.

(i) (a) Briefly describe how Cleitus met his death at the hands of Alexander, and how Alexander behaved afterwards.
    (b) What does this even tell us of the atmosphere among the officers of Alexander's inner circle at that time?
    (c) Whom would you consider more to blame: Alexander or Cleitus?

(ii) Give an account of the main units in Alexander's army (infantry and cavalry) and the uses to which Alexander put them in his campaigns.

(iii) From your reading of Plutarch and Arrian what influence would say that each of the following people had on Alexander; his mother Olympias; his father Philip; his teacher Aristotle?

(iv) In your opinon how serious was Alexander in his "policy of fusion" (i.e his policy of integrating Persians and Macedonians in his empire?)

(i) The Persian leaders, including Memnon of Rhodes, met to decide how to deal with Alexander shortly after his arrival in Asia Minor
    (a) What options did they discuss, and why did they decide to meet Alexander in battle at the river Granicus?
    (b) Give a brief outline of the course of this battle.

(ii) (a) Discuss the importance of Parmenio in the campaigns of Alexander
    (b) What is your assessment of the relationship of the two men?

(iii) (a) Describe how Alexander became fatally ill and died
    (b) What do we learn about Alexander from his behaviour during his final illness?
    (c) How do Arrian and Plutarch treat the rumours that Aristotle was involved in Alexander's death?

(iv) Over the centuries since his death, the character of Alexander has been much admired and much criticised.
    From your reading of both Arrian and Plutarch, what is your judgement of his character?

(i) When he (Alexander) made up his mind that an object must be attained, he never hesitated to employ the boldest and most novel means.
    Discuss this statement with particular reference to Alexander's success in capturing fortified places

(ii) "According to a number of historians, it was in this way that the palace was burned down, that is on impulse, but there are others who maintain it was an act of deliberate policy." (Plutarch, Life of Alexander)
    (a) Based on your reading of Arrian and Plutarch, give an account of the burning of the palace of the Persian Kings at Persepolis.
    (b) Which of the theories quoted above do you consider more likely? Give reasons for your answer.

(iii) In the period after the Battle of Issus, Darius sent two letters to Alexander;
    (a) In these two letters, what offers did Darius make to Alexander?
    (b) Outline Alexander's reply to these offers.
    (c) What does the tone of these letters tell us about the two men who wrote them?

(iv) Compare Arrian's treatment of Alexander in his Campaigns of Alexander, with that of Plutarch's treatment of Alexander in his Life of Alexander

(i) (a) Give an account of Alexander's capture and destruction of Thebes.
    (b) Why do you think Alexander treated Thebes so harshly?

(ii) (a) How did it happen that Issus became the site of the battle between Alexander and Darius?
    (b) Explain why Darius lined up his forces as he did.
    (c) Briefly outline the course of the battle.

(iii) (a) Outline the part played by Hephaestion in his life of Alexander.
    (b) How did Alexander react to the death of Hephaestion and what is your opinon of his behaviour at this time?

(iv) What do you think were the factors that contributed to the fall of the Persian Empire?
    Support your answer by reference to the texts on your course.

(i) "Memnon was the only first-class general Darius possessed in Asia Minor, and his disappearence from the scene was an extraordinary piece of luck for Alexander."
    Discuss this statement in light of the contributio made by Memnon of Rhodes to the Persian resistence to Alexander.

(ii) In the space of a few years Alexander was responsible for the deaths of a number of senior figures including Parmenio, Philotas, Cleitus and Callisthenses.
    What do these deaths tell us about Alexander and also about the athmosphere in the Macedonian camp at this time?
    Candidates should treat these events in a general sense and should not give detailed accounts of the deaths.

(iii) Alexander's crossing of the Gedrosian desert has been called "the most catastrophic edpisode of his entire career"
    (a) Give an account of the difficulties that Alexander and his army encountered and of how they finally got through the desert.
    (b) To what extent would you blame Alexander for this catastrophe?

(iv) (a) What do you think was Alexander's debt to his father Philip?
    (b) Based on your reading of both Arrian and Plutarch, discuss Alexander's ambivalent feelings towards Philip.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Greek Drama

(i) Can you give a convincing defence of Jason’s behaviour in Euripides Medea

(ii) Discuss the dramatic tecniques employed by Sophocles to highlight the fall of Edipus in King Oedipus.

(iii) What statement does Aeschylus make in Prometheus Bound about the status of man and his relationship to god?

(iv) Discuss Aristophanes attitude to Euripides in the Frogs.

(i) “In her cold blooded pursuiut of revenge upon Jason, Medea uses other people to achieve her goal”
    Discuss this view with reference to Euripides Medea.

(ii) Discuss the view that the presence of the Chorus and their participation in the acted events heightens the vividness and urgnecy of action in the play King Oedipus

(iii) In what ways does Aeschylus create vitality and movement in the play Prometheus Bound, despite it’s static setting?

(iv) Discuss the view that while Aristophanes’ Frogs is a very funny play it also makes serious comments on social values

(i) Show how Aeschylus creates the athmosphere of a “police state” throuhout the play Prometheus Bound.

(ii) “In comedy there is an ingrained tendency for the norms of “ordinary” life to be suspended, subverted or even turned on their heads. Aristophanes’ Dionysus in Frogs exploits this tendency to the utmost.”
    Discuss this statement.

(iii) To what extent is the fact that medea is a foreign woman from a strange and distant background central to the play Medea?

(iv) Compare and contrast the characters of Oedipus and Creon in Sophocles play Oedipus the King.

(i) “Certain of Odeipus’ past actions were fate-bound; but everything he does on the stage from first to last he does as a free agent.”
    Discuss.

(ii) Comment on the significance of the Io scene in Aeschylus Prometheus Bound.

(iii) Write an essay on the importence of children in Euripides Medea.

(iv) Aristopphanes Frogs was first staged when Athens war againest Sparta was at a critical juncture.
    What advice to fellow citizens about the war does Aristophanes put into the mouths of his characters and chorus?

(i) “Medea is quite sure from start to finish that the gods are on her side and the play gives us no reasons to think that she is wrong.”
    Discuss this statement

(ii) What are the qualities in the character of Prometheus that make him a tragic hero?

(iii) What evidence do you find in Frogs that Aristophanes regards the poet as a crucial figure in Athenian society?

(iv) “The Oedipus who emerges from the palace is bloodstained and sightless, but unbroken.”
    Discuss this statement with reference to Sophocles King Oedipus.

(i) “As the great debate proceeds - and it is conducted with the utmost fairness, thrust for thrust - we percieve that on the moral issues the points are steadily mounting up in Aeschylus’ favour.”
    Discuss this statement with reference to Act 2 of Aristophanes Frogs

(ii) (a) Outline Prometheus’ grievances againest Zeus in Aeschylus’ Prmetheus Bound
    (b) Do you think that Prometheus is justified in his grievances, or is there anything to be said in Zeus’ favour? Give reasons for your answer.

(iii) (a) Examine Medea’s conduct in her three encounters with Jason in Euripides Medea.
    (b) Do you agree that it is the second encounter which ensures her final victory over Jason?

(iv) Oracles and prophecies are central to Sopochles King Oedipus.
    Analyse the attitude to oracles and prophecies of each of the following: Oedipus; Jocasta; the Chorus.

(i) “Oedipus is clearly a very great man.”
    What makes Oedipus “a very great man” in Sopochles King Oedipus?

(ii) Analyse the different types of humour to be found in Aristophanes Frogs.

(iii) Compare the attitude of Prometheus to humans with the attitude of the other immortals to humans in Aeschylus Prometheus Bound.

(iv) “There can be no doubt...that the Medea is very much concerned with the problems of women’s place in human society.”
    Discuss this comment with reference to the play.

(i) Discuss the relationship between Dionysus and his slave Xanthias in Frogs by Aristophanes.

(ii) Analyse the role of the Chorus in Euripdes Medea

(iii) Discuss the character of Jocasta and assess the importance of her role in Sopochles King Oedipus

(iv) In Prometheus Bound what Aeschylus say about gaining power and using power?

(i) “....the seriousness that underlies this brilliantly funny play may be one factor in its greatness.”
    Discuss this view of Aristophanes Frogs

(ii) In the play Prometheus Bound compare the reaction of Prometheus to the tyranny of Zeus with the reaction of Oceanus and Hermes to the tyranny of Zeus.

(iii) “Sophocles tradegy presents us with a terrible affirmation of man’s subordinate position in the universe, and at the same time with a heroic vision of man’s victory in defeat.”
    Discuss this statement about Sophocles play, Oedipus the King.

(iv) In Euripides play, Medea, what aspects of Jason’ character contribute to his miserable end?
    Give reasons for your opinon.

(i) Discuss the role of the chorus in Aeschylus play Prometheus Bound. In your answer refer to the attitude of the chorus to Prometheus himself, to his revolt againest Zeus and to his punishment.

(ii) (a) Comment on the portrayal of the god Dionysus in Aristophanes Frogs
    (b) What does this portrayal tell us about the attitude of the Athenians of that time to their gods?

(iii) How does Euripides succeed in making us believe that medea, a loving mother, is capable of killing her own children?

(iv) In the gradual uncovering of the truth in Sophocles play, Oedipus the King, Jocasta’s mention of Laius’ death “where three roads meet” marks the turning point in the play.
    Discuss the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Ancient Epic

(i) Discuss the role of women in Homer’s Odyssey

(ii) Compare the depiction of heroic society in Homer’s Odyssey and the Tain

(iii) Why did Virgil write the Aeneid?

(iv) Does Virgil expect us to sympathise with Dido and Turnus?

(i) Briefly compare and contrast the role of Telemachus in the Odyssey with the role of Ascanius in the Aeneid

(ii) “In the Odyssey the Gods are concerned with the justice of human behaviour”
    Discuss the role of the Gods in the Odysessy in light of this comment

(iii) In the Aeneid what emphasis does Virgil place on the sufferings eperienced by Aeneas in his attempt to fulfill his mission? Support your answer by reference.

(iv) Compare and contrast Cuchulainn and Odysseus

(i) “In the Aeneid, Virgil makes skillful use of a range of devices to remind his fellow Romans of the greatness of their past and of their mission in the future.”
    Discuss this comment, with reference to the Aeneid.

(ii) From your reading of the Odyssey, what is your opinon of Odysseus as leader of his men?

(iii) “Virgil’s tenderness and sympathy are nowhere more apparent than in the way he treats the untimely deaths of young and brave warriors.”
    Discuss this statement with reference to Books 9, 10, 11

(iv) Compare the attitidues to war in the Tain with those in either the Odssey or the Aeneid.

(i) “No single detail in the life of the heroes receives so much attention in the Odyssey as gift-giving.”
    Comment on the pracitce of gift-giving and its signifacance in the world of Odysseus

(ii) It is sometimes objected that Aeneas “lacks warmth of feeliing, is exempt from ordinary human emotions.”
    Discuss this claim in the light of your reading of the Aeneid.

(iii) Analyse Penelope’s behaviour towards her Suitors.

(iv) Compare the status of women in the Tain with the status of women in either the Odyssesy or the Aeneid.

(i) Odysseus spent a number of years living with two goddesses.
    Compare his relationship with Calyps to his relationship with Circe.

(ii) “The Aeneid is dominated by fathers and father-figures.”
    Discuss this statement.

(iii) What are the features of the Tain and the Odyssey which are typical of primary epic?

(iv) Books 1 to 6 of the Aeneid display many parallels with Homer’s Odyssey. Examine some of these parallels and the manner in which Virgil has adapted elements of the Odyssey to his own purpose.

(i) Analyse the relationship between Odysseus and the goddess Athena in Homer’s Odyssey.

(ii) Compare the magical and superhuman elements in the Tain with those of Homer’s Odyssey

(iii) (a) What makes Aeneid Book 2 so dramatic and moving?
    (b) Would you agree that Aeneas’ behaviour in the crisis shows confusion and uncertainty? Briefly give reasons for your answer.

(iv)(a) In the Odyssey how does Homer build his case againest the Suitors and makes us feel that they deserved their terrible punishment?
    (b) Do you have any sympathy for the Suitors? Briefly give reasons for your answer.

(i) Discuss the view that the Odyssey gives a much more detailed picture of a range of lifestyles and characters then does the Tain.

(ii) During the Odyssey, Telemachus develops from an insecure and depressed young man into a confident and strong support to his father in the destruction of the Suitors.

(iii) (a) Outline the part played by Juno in Virgil’s Aeneid.
    (b) What impression do we get from her behaviour of the attitude of gods to humans?

(iv)”It is true that he is going home, but he does not want to miss a thing - or a gift - on the way, and he wants to make sure that the people he meets remember that he is none other than Odysseus, hero of the battle of Troy.”
    Discuss this statement with reference to Odysseys’ adventures on his return to Ithaca.

(i) Odysseus seems always to be able to find the right words for whatever situation in which he may find himself. He is a master of invention as well as tact.
    Discuss this statement with reference to Homr’s Odyssey

(ii) Discuss the view that friendship between the warrior-heroes is a much stronger feature of the Tain than of either the Odyssey or the Aeneid

(iii) Odysseus and Aeneas both visit the Underworld
    In your view, what are the maind ifferences between Homer’s treatment of this episode and Virgil’s treatment of the same episode?

(iv) Analyse Aeneas’ behaviour towards Dido in Virgil’s Aeneid.
    (b) Show how the bitterness of Dido’s tradegy is heightened in the story.

(i) From Odysseus return to Ithaca in Book 13 of the Odyssesy to the outbreak of the fighting in the hall in Book 22, Homer slows the pace of the story considerably, yet he stills contrives to hold our interest and gradually to build up the tension.
    Comment on this assesment of Books 13 to 22

(ii) Discuss the view that Queen Mebd in the Tain is more powerful and dominant figure than any woman in either the Odyssey or the Aeneid.

(iii) “The Aeneid is in a real sense the poet’s tribute to his country.”
    Discuss this statement, supporting your views with reference to Virgil’s Aeneid

(iv) (a) Discuss the importance in the Odyssey of Agamemnon, his death, and the revenge gained by his son Orestes.
    (b) Why do you think Homer makes so much use of this story.
    (i) Compare the treatment of the single combat between Cuchulainn and Ferdia in the Tain with that between Aeneas and Turnus in Virgil’s Aeneid

(ii) (a) From your reading of Virgil’s Aeneid books 7-12, what is your opinon of Turnus?
    (b) What evidence is there that Virgil wishes us to feel sympathy for Turnus?

(iii) What are the main simillarities, and the significant differences, between the voyages of Odysseus in the Odyssey and the voyages of Aeneas in the Aeneid?

(iv) In the uncertain world of the Odyssey, loyalty and faithfulness are the virtues most prized and rewarded: their opposite brings harsh punishment.
    Discuss this statement.

2004 Papers can be found here
    Hope this helps anyone who hasn't a clue what to study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭thegloriousend

FO SHIZ NIT MY NIZ NIT!! :eek: Great stuff, must have taken you a while. Thanks a million anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Bright Smile

thats REALLY REALLY sound of you, fair play...its nice to know there are ppl in the world who look out for others as well as themselves.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

It's actually quite handy, my teacher has all the papers archived by himself so he can give us questions at will. Btw, anyone else really annoyed by the format of the exam? They're changing in in a few years but I still think it's pure endurance during it, I mean 8 essays in 3hrs is too much to ask I think.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Btw, anyone else really annoyed by the format of the exam? They're changing in in a few years but I still think it's pure endurance during it, I mean 8 essays in 3hrs is too much to ask I think.
    Oh god yes... I couldn't finish the paper in my mocks, I'm really worried the same thing will happen this time. Arrgh!
    I just noticed that they've already got the 2005 papers that have been sat up on www.examinations.ie! Isn't that mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

It's totally crazy to have to get that many questions done in that time, I soooo did not manage it in the mocks.

Does anyone have any notes on the plays? Oedipus, Media or Prometheus? Our teacher didn't get round to giving us any! :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Try sparknotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

Good idea. Have a few notes gathered from a classics website. Just wanted an idea on the spin they'll be looking for in the exam. The best way to answer them I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Komada

You can find every classics paper here-
    http://examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep&formAction=subject

Just tick the box, choose exam papers, pick classical studies, the the year, and Hay-presto. You have a printable version of any classics paper you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I suppose compared to the 7 last night, 4.5 isn't bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

God effort and all, but exam papers are available, I have them. You gotta send off fot them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

The Classical Association of Ireland publishes a set of papers. It's a pretty limited run, but you can try contacting them http://www.caiteachers.com/contact_us.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

I have the papers too-and a really good revision book, "a guide to classical studies".
    My school have a classics website and I have a really good powerpoint presentation too on my computer.
    I'll get the adress for the website for ya's tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Wow fair play for posting that.. Yeah liek wise my school has a website and its a pity the exam papers aren't freely available.. I also have a copy though so if anyone wants any ordinary or Higher Questions you can pm me...
    Pity though that Classics isnt a common subject liek History or Geography.. It's so amazing and interesting..
    And the course has changed for this years current 5th years, the questions remain the same type although more is required of them, and the only have to answer 6 so one from each of their 4 chosen topics and 2 more from any of their chosen topics as in say you do Drama,Epic, Art and Architecture, and Alexander you would have to do 1 drama ,1 epic , 1 A&A and 1 alex... then you would have a choice so basically you can pick your two best sections and do one more question from each but the most unfair part is they get the same time allowance! :P awh well glad to see there are other Classics lovers out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I wish we had classical studies in our school... I would have picked it in a heartbbeat :(

someone plz tell me what books u need for this subject? put of personal interest that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

fufureida wrote: »
    I wish we had classical studies in our school... I would have picked it in a heartbbeat :(

someone plz tell me what books u need for this subject? put of personal interest that is.

the prescribed books are listed in the syllabus here http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_classical_studies_sy.pdf?language=EN

Advertisement