Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll Puts Rainbow Ahead

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hill16

I think its great Sinn Fein support is up,cause it will piss off the middle class indo reading West Brits, many of who post on this board. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

hill16 wrote:
    I think its great Sinn Fein support is up,cause it will piss off the middle class indo reading West Brits, many of who post on this board. :D

Really?

Sinn Féin support is not up, it's just back to where it was prior to the McCartney scandal and the northern bank robbery.

That can be read as meaning a fifth of Sinn Féin voters only had a soft distaste for the carry on with regard to the McCartney Murder etc and werent really upset by it at all.
    Whereas 80% of their supporters couldn't in reality give a fiddlers when asked anonymously.

Meanwhile the rest of the electorate, 89% of them to be precise are with the other parties in the Dáil in a genuine enough disgust of what happened and ongoing criminality not to make the move to Sinn Féin.
    That would be the only logical conclusion with respect to Sinn Féin that one could draw from the poll.

Off topic posts have been either moved to the decentalisation thread or sent to the recycle bin as appropriate.

Now keep this on topic please, if you want to talk about decentralisation, theres already a thread open on that so keep that there thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Jesus SF back to 11% already, I'm a bit surprised tbh after all the bashing they got over the McCartney murder and the Bank robbery. Now it will be interesting to see what they rise to, I think 14%-16% before the next election is possible especially if Adams can deliever total decommisioning.

As for FF going into government with SF, I don't think that will happen, not because I don't think FF would go for it, I mean if they needed a few TD's to hold onto Power Bertie would take anybody, but I don't think SF would go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

irish1 wrote:
    I mean if they needed a few TD's to hold onto Power Bertie would take anybody, but I don't think SF would go for it.

There is a difference going into government with the support with of people like Milred Fox and parties like SF.

I think after the murder of Gerry McCabe entering government with SF would be the death knell for FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

irish1 wrote:
    ....I think 14%-16% before the next election is possible especially if Adams can deliever total decommisioning.
    But SF and the IRA are seperate entities, no? :rolleyes:

I'm actually not in slightest bit surprise that extremists like SF are gaining ground. The bland mix of FF/FG/PD/LAB do little to inspire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

murphaph wrote:
    The bland mix of FF/FG/PD/LAB do little to inspire.

I agree - All the talk is on FG/Labour - but where are the policies?

Opposition partys don't seem to be putting anything out there for debate.

Government needs to show us what they are actually doing about issues like heath reform.

I feel that SF has absolutely nothing to offer the electorate but they will trieve on voter dis-illusionment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

murphaph wrote:
    But SF and the IRA are seperate entities, no? :rolleyes:

Yes they certainly are but if you know anything about the peace process you will know that unless Adams can convince the IRA that a United Ireland can be achieved through decmocratic politics the IRA won't disarm and they certiainly won't disarm because Paisley or any other Unionists wants them to.

Without SF the IRA will not go away and I think most people on this Island know that, like them or hate them without SF there is no peace process.

*hope thats not too far off topic

In All Fairness...

Regardless of what he may privately or publically think of them - how Ahern can argue against SF being in a coalition in the South and argue for their inclusion in the north is beyond me.
    Jesus SF back to 11% already, I'm a bit surprised tbh after all the bashing they got over the McCartney murder and the Bank robbery. Now it will be interesting to see what they rise to, I think 14%-16% before the next election is possible especially if Adams can deliever total decommisioning.
    That would be a monumental achievement that would have them surpassing Labours weakest electoral achievements.
    I would treat such high expectations with the same amount of salt tbh as I would staunch pro FF supporters or FG on their growth ie I'd be inclined to view them as the aspirational expectations of staunch supporters rather than the more measured analysis of people more independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Earthman wrote:
    In All Fairness...

Regardless of what he may privately or publically think of them - how Ahern can argue against SF being in a coalition in the South and argue for their inclusion in the north is beyond me.
    I agree. Ahern as no right telling the northerners that they must accept SF's mandate without also accepting their mandate down here. I hate SFIRA and I'd be well pi$$ed off with Ahern telling me that I had to accept SFIRA!!! Arrgghh he's a twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Earthman wrote:
    Actually in a roundabout way, "thats politics".

Advertisement